To tie one on or not?

Can we have it in English?

Chaz wrote:
Can we have it in English?

The English tye BWOs in size 12, why would you want anything "in English?"

I tied for a long time then and it was a thrill to fool a trout with one of my flies, then I moved to Florida. Tie clousers once in a while and make eggs for my trips North. Darn bugs got most of my materials in fact I need to clean up a mess they left Probably ate nearly all my deer hair and feathers. GG

Been FFing for 3 years now. Tying for 2.5 of those. Talk about addicting. I have since cleaned the boxes out of anything I bought and I only use flies that either my Dad or myself have tied.

I am also lucky enough to have a great fly shop by work that I am in almost weekly picking something up.

Nothing like catching a fish on something you created.

I bought an inexpensive tying kit shortly after I learned to fly fish earlier this year. I got sound advice from a friend who had a great setup but sold his stuff years ago and regretted it ever since. He advised to me buy gear and never sell it, and that's probably how it'll be.

Been tying my own for about 30 years now. Very rarely do I buy any - just really have confidence in my own flies.
I still don't mind tying - doing the bulk of it over the winter. It brightens up my mood a bit on cold winter nights.
Have never sold any - but I gladly give them to others

Tie my own. Started about 15 years ago I guess, but I haven't been tying much lately so all in all I am still an amateur.

Just catching a fish on something you made your self,pretty simple.and a lot of fun.

I was kind of backwards about things i started out tying at 12 years old with a kit i got for my birthday. 3 years later i finally bought a fly rod. Im not sure why i did it like that but tying was my first love. I remember my first trout on my own fly, its a feeling i still get everytime i land a fish. 10 years later i tie almost daily and for some shops also. No feeling like tying a dozen size 16 adams for me.

Evan

I have been tying for about 25 years. I do not fish with a fly I did not tie. I was introduced to tying at my local TU chapter. In the winter, a group of us "advanced" tiers get together every other Saturday and tie new patterns. We have been doing this for years. I tie and give away dozens each year for fundraisers, friends and anyone I meet on the stream.

I've been tying for over 30 years. I really enjoy it but I still definitely would rather be fishing than tying. I have gained so much knowledge about tying from this site within the past couple of years in regards to new patterns and techniques. I always have a fly tying "to do" list of different patterns and techniques that I want to try (but I don't always get to them all). The knowledge that can be gained from just watching youtube videos these days is simply amazing. I can definitely understand with our technology today that it could be a bit overwhelming for the folks who are just starting out in it. My advice would be - don't get hung up on having to have the exact materials to tie a particular fly. Use your imagination and the materials you have on hand and you may just come up with a real winner of a pattern on your own.

I was lucky enough to have a fly fishing club in Junior High. I learned to tie flies before I ever fished them. That was 34 years ago. Tying for me has been a wonderful past time. I have even tied some for profit ( If you can call it that). I"ve had the pleasure of tying flies that have caught many species in many places. The art of tying has many twists and I enjoy them all. The classic streamers, wet flies winged and wingless. Ken Abrames school of thought on flat wings fascinated me enough to buy all those hackles. I should have left them go during the hair craze that Steven Taylor caused on American Idle. I have a hard time with anything other than spot tying unless it's winter. Which, by the way, one of the finer things for me, is hours of inspired tying when the snow is falling and a warm fire in the fireplace with thoughts of the coming season. Inspired tying leads to inspired fishing. Can't wait to try out that new pattern dreamed up. But I also have spent way too much money for materials that I only used for one pattern that has long since gone out of favor. Does fly tying really save money today? Tying when I was young was necessary. The commercial ties were not up to the standards of today. I also did not have a fly shop convenient. Mail order and internet has changed a lot. One could with a clear conscience advise a new fly fisherman to save money and time by buying a thousand dollars of flies and calling it a day.

Buying to start with... not that much time to tie right now. Though I can see it starting to happen that I will not be satisfied with the flies i can buy, and want to tie my own for certain things.
Must say i have bought a lot of stuff that is useless :)

Like i've said b4 , you folks r great!!!!! It's not a chore 4 me though , it's therapy. There is such a great feel to give a few to someone and then meet them later and have them tell u how well they worked and if you want it in English = Halford.

like many of the others here I tie some and buy some. I am not a great at it and pretty much self taught. The only thing better then catching a trout on a fly I tied is watching my boys catch a trout on one of my fies... :)

Bill A

I have been tying almost 30 years. I find it very relaxing after a stressful day. I'm long past the idea that tying your own is cheaper than buying but it allows me to try different materials and ideas. I like to take my tying kit with me when I travel. I went a couple times out to Montana and was able to whip out a whole bunch of flies and that did save me money. I will buy flies if I am at a new spot at the local fly shop. The people in the shop are more likely to give you info if you drop some coin. We have tying nights twice a month at our TU chapter which are a lot of fun and a great way to share information.

i tye saltwater salmon and streamers.

i've tried tying for trout but my eyes are not really good enough :eek:( so i buy em online on ebay.

I tie 90% and buy 10%. Like others have stated there is nothing liking catching a fish with your own creation! I have taking it a few steps further by catching fish on a fly I tied attached to a leader I furled on a rod I built. That is a fish I will never forget.

Don

Just started to tie my own in the last 12 months. Big thrill came from catching my biggest wild from the Lackawanna on my own tie. Next biggest was watching a friend hook up on a fish using one of my ties.

Still purchase some, and suspect that I will continue to do so.

This thread reminds me that I need to sit down at the bench and get back to learning how to tie better flies!

i tye,and so does my wife.

Back