Tiger Trout

Here's one I caught in Locust Creek (Sch Cty) in Feb of 2010. The creek is ATW, and has native brookies. I've caught brookies, browns and rainbows in the creek.

Stocked or wild?

Attachments

• tiger2.jpg
    tiger2.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 5
wildtrout2 wrote:
I think that tiger is around 12"-13" based on the position/spacing of the hands holding it. I also think the tiger in WTT's avatar is at least that big, perhaps bigger.
The wild tiger in my avatar is 11 inches.

I've caught a few tigers downstream from the local club that sounds like the beer. "Hybrid Vigor" is an understatement and that's why they're stocked by private clubs for their members - easy to catch and fight like hell!!

jf to tell if its wild or not a side profile pic is best. fin condition, and body shape are the key characteristics for tiger trout for brown and brook trout there are also color characteristics that can be looked at such as the bluish black spot that wild browns have behind their eye

So........how do you tell if a tiger trout is stocked or wild? Can you? Or is it just a guess?

It's ALWAYS a guess. That said, it's an educated guess and can be a very good guess most of the time.

Not ALWAYS a guess. The one I caught I had zero question as to it's wild authenticity because of where I caught it. The one in the OP is the only tiger I've seen that's been questionable to me based on a pic.

The fish in the photo is a Snakehead.

The best way to target Tiger trout is to find out if a nearby club stocks them, then go where they stock. To find wild ones, ask people you know who've caught them, but be aware they may not tell you where.
I believe the tiger in post 15 has a good possibility of being a wild fish based on the starved shape of the fish, i.e., long a skinny. However, since it is very rare for a stream to produce them it's probably stocked by a club.
I've caught 1 wild tiger in 45 years of trout fishing and 1 stocked tiger in the same time frame. Maybe I'll catch a couple more wild ones, since I know of streams that have them.

The fish in the photo is a Snakehead.

Haha. Have to admit, you made me look up a snakehead just to be sure. Other than the fins, it could be mistaken for one!

My Son with a nice Tiger Trout from the Elk river in WV two years ago. There are still several in the Elk for anyone venturing down south.

I caught a 12-13" tiger trout on the unami yesterday evening. Fish did fight more than most trout I caught.

Hybrid Vigor. One of the tigers I caught kept hitting my strike indicator (bobber) until it realized it wasn't edible. Neither was the Woolly Bugger!

I hear the unami is fishing pretty good this year so far. Miss that stream. For now I'm trying my luck in Hay creek. Two brownies on the dry fly so far this year in one outing with the kids so that ain't too bad.

PASKIINGSUCKS wrote:
I hear the unami is fishing pretty good this year so far. Miss that stream. For now I'm trying my luck in Hay creek. Two brownies on the dry fly so far this year in one outing with the kids so that ain't too bad.
Try the Perkiomen, it's bigger and better then Unami.

Haha you trying to relieve some fishing pressure on the Nami or something??? I don't know if I'd call the perky better or not. I guess i just always had a soft spot for jumping around on all those boulders in the unami. I have fished both branches of the perky quite a bit, used to boat both the nami and the perky as well. I do like them both. Unfortunately I moved out of the area, now I'm over in birdsboro so I've been hitting the Hay up a little bit and looking to try out some of the smaller creeks around my house in the gibraltar area. Checking out the allegheny and maybe even the indian corn or monocacy, also can't believe I haven't been to the tully yet.

Renewed my TU membership and was pleasantly surprised to see I'm now in the Tully chapter I believe.

You didn't happen to head out on the west branch with a fishing buddy in a yellow nissan truck the other day did you?? Saw two experienced looking gentlemen hiking upstream from the bridge by Jakes and thought of you, I remember you saying you live kind of in that area.

I work in boyertown though so I'm sure my days of fishing the perky aren't over just yet, and I still have friends that live near and fish the unami so I'm sure I'll be back there too. Just not as often as I used to.

A friend of mine caught two 12" Tigers yesterday on the Brodhead.

Back