THE OFFICIAL 5TH ANNUAL STEELHEAD JAM - Nov 8-10, 2013

Most of the "really crowded" pictures you see are at the mouths of the big creeks; Walnut and Elk. There's big parking lots there and it's easy access. Most of the fishing done for this event is usually, meet at a designated place, hop in the car and head out to another spot to fish. I enjoy the water around Folly's campground so that's always an option, but typically steelhead in Erie is a reaction game depending on water levels. You fish where the best levels are and that can involve moving to a different stream throughout the day as well. Nice thing about this event is there's plenty of experienced guys who know many spots on the stream so if it's not fishing well or crowded there's always another spot.

What are some hotels / Motels to stay at?

You can go to visiterie.com if you want, there are many options. I already have a room reserved at the Econolodge on Peach St

many people have stayed here in the past for this event.

http://sunsetmotelpa.com/

Thanks for the info on the fishing spots. Barring the unexpected, I plan on making it up. Going to pick up some materials this weekend and start tying up a steelhead fly box....

Thank both of you guys. This will be fun.

Room is booked for this and been tying some flies. Hoping to get up in October maybe for some 'pre-game' as well just to learn the way around...

I would like to make this event.... I have yet to make a JAM.
I will also offer my time if you need any help in calling people and setting up and tearing down.

I am hoping to hit the jam this year for at least one day if not more.

DanVerona wrote:
Just curious for anyone that has attended these in the past. Does the group try to find less pressured water (maybe less fish to target but more elbow room?).

I've seen some pictures of Erie that show people elbow to elbow and I don't think I'd enjoy that...

Just curious how the group approaches the fishing spots...

thanks!

Dan, you can always find uncrowded water. Last year, Gulfgreyhound, his buddy Moose, and myself fished an area with easy access (do to Gulf's bad knee) for 3 or 4 hours and had the whole place to ourselves until we were getting ready to leave. Of course we didn't catch any and it wasn't sight fishing...;-)

I did hook one though.;-)

I'm hoping to spend at least a day this year. Hoping that Art (Gulfgreyhound) and Moose can come as well. Fishing with those two made me feel young again... Oh wait. :lol:

Thanks,FD? I'll pm you.GG

I'd like to join this year.

Anyone ever camped at Follys? Are there any decent tent sites?

I know that last year Albatross and Bruno camped in a tent, they said they were comfortable. You can get a good idea from Folley's site of what they look like. Bring some heat

Ill be there, any food suggestions?

Talked to Follys over the weekend.
We have the pavilion as a meeting place for the weekend.
A big thank you to Follys End Campground.

People coming.
Me
DanVerona
groove790 possibly depending on offspring
Toad
Leteras for a day or more
FarmerDave
Mario66pens
Albatross and Bruno possibly

I'll be there at some point, not sure when or how many days I'll be staying.

I've got a shot at it. I'd say 50/50 right now, though. I'm often saving up "points" around that time to make an extended absense from home in deer season.

If I do come, I could either spend the dough to get lodging locally, or I have a camp about an hour and 15 minutes from Folly's. It's right at that tweener distance, too far to be an easy decision, but close enough to consider. Free is always nice.

The camp sleeps 12, so if I make it and choose to stay there I'd be happy to house anyone looking for free lodging. Anyone interested PM me and I'll keep ya updated on my plans. Could also share rides from SE PA.

If I made it, it'd probably be a 3 day weekend, fish 2. For instance, could leave Thursday after work, fish Fri and Sat., drive home Sunday. Or leave Friday evening and return Monday.

Figured I'd give this a bump. Started thinking about it on the way home from the Catskill Jam. Only a month out

I'm about 80% probable now. I'm closing on my first home this Friday and i've had to lay out more cash than I expected, but if anything, I'll be there for Saturday and maybe won't spend the night...

Back