Stocked Class A streams open for fishing right now

BrooksAndHooks wrote:
Think PFBC would mind if you posted their emails here for us to read directly?

I don't think they would mind but my feeling is the individual writing the e-mail might not LIKE it just in case they are wrong and end up getting misquoted.

I also figure the opportunity exists for ANY of them to respond directly on this board and because they don't, I assume there is a reason why. Therefore I won't or if I do, I won't include any names.

I'm going to spend a little time during the season to get all of my question answered for the 2016/2017 Extended Season and beyond to the 2017 Closed Period with the goal of a one page "Can I Fish Now" thread next year.

I'll keep the board posted.

Bamboozle:
The only thing no one clearly defined to me is whether there will be a Closed Period on Class B, C, D… streams that are NOT part of a Stocked Trout Stream.

I can't see how they can ever say these streams are 'closed' to fishing. If that's the case then shouldn't the Susky (or any other body of water) also be 'closed' to smallie fishing until the opening day of harvest for those fish? Are lakes closed to fishing just because there's bass or pike or musky that are there that are not currently 'in season.' Lots of guys right now targeting pre-spawn smallies on a C&R basis, any of them being cited?

If they want to say a stream is closed that's not part of the Approved Trout Waters program, then they also need to close all those other bodies of water for all the other species until they're 'in season.'

But that's not the case, those other waters are open to fishing regardless of whether a particular species is 'in season' or not, so that should also apply to trout streams that are not part of the ATW program across the board, regardless of whether it's A, B, C or D. imho.

tomitrout wrote:
I can't see how they can ever say these streams are 'closed' to fishing...

I wholeheartedly agree!

The only reason I mentioned it is because with the PFBC, many times I get different answers to the same question which is very frustrating.

As an example I received a PM from someone on this board who got an answer from another region which was contrary to what I posted above. In other words, Enforcement in one region interpret rules differently from Enforcement in another. Because of that, nothing would surprise me in regards to being challenged on a NON stocked, NON Class A stream.

The other reason I wondered aloud is as I mentioned before, the information given to me was only the Class A sections of Approved Trout Waters are open, not the Class B, C, D which are also NOT stocked. I don't really get the logic in that but that's the way it is for now. Maybe if the ATW's (soon to be STW's) are eventually listed by section, that rule will change as well.

To be honest, listing all STW's by section would be a HUGE step in the right direction regardless if the Summary becomes a set of encyclopedias.

Awesome bamboozle. That would be great. I agree with your decision not to disclose, just wish they would give us something. A final answer to this will be satisfying.

Looks like they are finally taking the steps to fix this confusion.

Quote:

tomitrout wrote:
I can't see how they can ever say these streams are 'closed' to fishing...

I wholeheartedly agree!

Yeah, personally, the way I approach it is if it's listed as ATW, I stay away until the season opener(s), simple as that.

But I'm lucky in that I've got plenty of options close by to scratch the early season itch if need be. Between non-stocked waters and special regs sections, I don't really need to be concerned about fishing a questionable stretch of water while it's 'closed.'

Not everybody is so lucky though, which is why I guess this topic pops up every year like clockwork....

Back