Stocked Class A streams open for fishing right now

this is so confusing, i sent to a email to PFBC a few weeks ago about fishing in a section of Class A that is still stocked. First he told me that section wasnt Class A, i then had to explain to him that it was recently added to the list. He then told me that it was still closed due to the stocking, so now it sounds like it will be open or is it still closed?

Only ATW's, not under special regulations, are closed to fishing during the March 1-opening day period. All other waters are open to fishing but not to harming trout. If a stream is designated ATW in a county without boundaries defined, then the entire stream within that county is closed to fishing during this period.

If it has boundaries defined in the ATW designation, only that portion designated is closed. In another county, apply the same rules.

If it happens to be Class A and is not also ATW as explained above, it is NOT closed to fishing, but is still protected from harming of trout. Whether you can target trout in a water not otherwise closed to fishing, nor specifically open under special regs is the only grey area. I, personally, would say I was targeting chubs, suckers, smallmouth, or sunfish if I was asked.

Look, The spirit of the "Law" of closing streams during Mar1-opening day is to prevent anglers from fishing streams that had been stocked for opening day.

Unstocked streams (Class A) were addressed directly with a Q?A to the PF&BC. The response was its OK.

If the Class A section is stocked(whether it should be is another thread) eliminates it from the "OK to fish scenario"

For the purpose of determining what portion of Stream lengths are off limits, the ATW or Stocked waters limits are used.

If a stocked section overlaps with a class A section its illegal to fish it.

If a class A section is upstream or downstream of a stocked section and the Class A section is within the "Stocked limits" delineation. Its illegal Unless there are special regs.

The Fish Commission is getting dumber by the day.

http://fishandboat.com/splnero.htm

from previous post
DATED MARCH 21ST:
Class A trout streams such as the Pohopoco Creek are open to fishing year round, with no harvest of trout beginning the day after Labor Day through the Regular Opening Day of trout season the year following year.

DATED MARCH 16TH:
Anglers fishing the Pohopoco Creek downstream of the outlet of Beltzville Lake reported doing well catching trout (catch & release) during the weekend. The Pohopoco Creek is Class A water. It is legal to fish for trout in Class A trout streams year-round, with no harvest beginning the day after Labor Day through the regular opening day of trout season the following year.

The pohopoco is stocked below the lake and was stocked I think March 1st

http://fishandboat.com/images/pages/qa/trout/year_round.htm

Question
I love to fish for wild trout in Class A streams. After reading several sources and talking to many people, Trout Unlimited members and PFBC staff, I'm totally confused. Is it or is it not legal to fish any Class A stream year round?

Answer
It is legal* to fish for trout in Class A trout streams year-round, with no kill beginning the day after Labor Day through the opening day of trout season the following year. The same holds true for wilderness trout streams. Of course, all other fishing regulations still apply.
Note that during the period after Labor Day through the following opening day of trout season, anglers must immediately release any trout they catch unharmed to the waters from which taken. Anglers also should check for special regulations applicable to particular waters.

^
Would you look at that, thanks for posting

allan_s wrote:
You're allowed to fish all class a stream sections right now. I don't know where you are getting that you can't.

Quoting myself here...as I posted the correct answer 1st page but it has been ignored.

You are allowed to fish ALL Class A stream sections ALL YEAR.

allan_s wrote:
^
Would you look at that, thanks for posting

allan_s wrote:
You're allowed to fish all class a stream sections right now. I don't know where you are getting that you can't.

Quoting myself here...as I posted the correct answer 1st page but it has been ignored.

You are allowed to fish ALL Class A stream sections ALL YEAR.

They way i understand it you can unless it is being stocked.

repeating myself but ....
Why would the put this then on the regional report ?
DATED MARCH 16TH:
Anglers fishing the Pohopoco Creek downstream of the outlet of Beltzville Lake reported doing well catching trout (catch & release) during the weekend. The Pohopoco Creek is Class A water. It is legal to fish for trout in Class A trout streams year-round, with no harvest beginning the day after Labor Day through the regular opening day of trout season the following year.

...This is the out flow is the start of section 4 and was stocked on march 1st with rainbows.

It clearly states you can fish class A year round in the other link I posted-says nothing about not fishing them if stocked.

http://fishandboat.com/images/pages/qa/trout/year_round.htm

Well according to my email conversation with Alan Robinson that the the class a stream that i asked about is closed due to receiving a stocking in the class a portion of the creek.

If the Class A section is stocked(whether it should be is another thread) eliminates it from the "OK to fish scenario"

Anything from the PFBC to back that up? Because the quotes and snippets that most seem to be pasting here seems to suggest otherwise.

Either way, the PFBC should be embarrassed that they can't make simple rules on where and went fishing is allowed. It's telling that a group of people with the sole common identifier of being avid anglers have to carry out a big discussion every year about regulations, and never reach consensus.

First of all, all of my previous pontificating about Class A sections of ATW listed by name only being closed is apparently WRONG officially as of now. :oops:

I was technically correct but the rules were relaxed a year or so ago and strict enforcement was really up to the local WCO. The big change occurred only recently with the opening of Class A sections of Approved Trout Waters (like the Pohopoco) which were previously closed.

According to e-mail correspondence and telephone conversations I had with persons at the PFBC, ALL Class A sections whether they are stocked are not, whether they are sections of Approved Trout Streams listed by name only, upstream, downstream, cross stream and any which way you want to describe them, are OPEN to catch & releases fishing NOW!

For example, besides the Pohopoco or you can actually LEGALLY fish Section 8 of the Monocasy in Monocasy Park (which is on the Class A list but stocked) as long as you catch & release.

However, this change does NOT affect Class B, C, D…sections of Approved Trout Streams so for example the upper reaches of the Northkill Creek in Berks are closed because that section is not on the Class A List but the entire stream is listed presently as Approved Trout in Berks County.

I was also told next year the Summary will reflect these changes and the entire way the PFBC describes ATW’s will change. Going forward they will be referred to Stocked Trout Waters and apparently, the goal will be to list by SECTION as opposed to by name.

The other thing mentioned is that the emphasis on counties as a “boundary” in regards to streams that cross county lines and whether you can fish in one county where a stream is not listed versus a county where it is, will be going away at some point. The assumption being if Stocked Trout Waters are defined by section, the county boundary thing won’t be necessary. Streams will still be listed by county as a convenience but a regular Stocked Trout Water will be closed after March 1 regardless of what county it flows through.

The only thing no one clearly defined to me is whether there will be a Closed Period on Class B, C, D… streams that are NOT part of a Stocked Trout Stream. I have no reason to believe that will change but at this point because the emphasis is on opening ALL Class A to fishing year round, nobody seemed to know.

The bottom line is the people I spoke to acknowledged that the rules have been extremely confusing in regards to Class A streams and the Closed Period/C&R/harvest etc. This is the first step in trying to clear it up, but it is far from defined anywhere yet. For that reason, I am keeping my emails from the PFBC in my shirt pocket!

If anyone gets any contradictory info in regards to “the ALL Class A sections are open to C&R now” regardless of where they are from a WCO in their area, post it here and I’ll follow up and ask why because the info I posted here came from Law Enforcement and the head of a Regional HQ.

I hope that they end up defining stocked waters by section limits only and change everything else to explicitely fishing permitted without harvest.

For instance:
Streams X: Stocked Trout Water from bridge on Sumsuch Road to old railroad bridge 300yds downstream of bridge on T666.

The trout regs should then also include verbage that states something to the effect of: "Any waters not included in the limits of a stocked trout water section are open to fishing but all seasonal creel limits apply. All trout must be released unharmed from March 1 until the applicable regional opening day of trout."

Not very hard and achieves the goal of closing stocked water for the normal time period and leaving any others open for fishing for wild trout, smallmouth, hatchery escapees, suckers, carp, or whatever. No more worries about county boundaries or downstream areas or class a, b, c etc.

Kev

If true, listing by section should add a "few" pages to the summary booklet.

More pages in the Summary means more space for ads...

To be honest it has already become a magazine versus the little booklet handed out many moons ago.

Mike wrote:
If true, listing by section should add a "few" pages to the summary booklet.

Yes, but you can then include more advertisements.

WIN!

Aww crap bamboozle got to it first.

Seriously, though I don't see this adding more than a page or two at most. A format or layout change to the way streams are listed could make for enough space.

Bamboozle wrote:
First of all, all of my previous pontificating about Class A sections of ATW listed by name only being closed is apparently WRONG officially as of now. :oops:

I was technically correct but the rules were relaxed a year or so ago and strict enforcement was really up to the local WCO. The big change occurred only recently with the opening of Class A sections of Approved Trout Waters (like the Pohopoco) which were previously closed.

According to e-mail correspondence and telephone conversations I had with persons at the PFBC, ALL Class A sections whether they are stocked are not, whether they are sections of Approved Trout Streams listed by name only, upstream, downstream, cross stream and any which way you want to describe them, are OPEN to catch & releases fishing NOW!

For example, besides the Pohopoco or you can actually LEGALLY fish Section 8 of the Monocasy in Monocasy Park (which is on the Class A list but stocked) as long as you catch & release.

However, this change does NOT affect Class B, C, D…sections of Approved Trout Streams so for example the upper reaches of the Northkill Creek in Berks are closed because that section is not on the Class A List but the entire stream is listed presently as Approved Trout in Berks County.

I was also told next year the Summary will reflect these changes and the entire way the PFBC describes ATW’s will change. Going forward they will be referred to Stocked Trout Waters and apparently, the goal will be to list by SECTION as opposed to by name.

The other thing mentioned is that the emphasis on counties as a “boundary” in regards to streams that cross county lines and whether you can fish in one county where a stream is not listed versus a county where it is, will be going away at some point. The assumption being if Stocked Trout Waters are defined by section, the county boundary thing won’t be necessary. Streams will still be listed by county as a convenience but a regular Stocked Trout Water will be closed after March 1 regardless of what county it flows through.

The only thing no one clearly defined to me is whether there will be a Closed Period on Class B, C, D… streams that are NOT part of a Stocked Trout Stream. I have no reason to believe that will change but at this point because the emphasis is on opening ALL Class A to fishing year round, nobody seemed to know.

The bottom line is the people I spoke to acknowledged that the rules have been extremely confusing in regards to Class A streams and the Closed Period/C&R/harvest etc. This is the first step in trying to clear it up, but it is far from defined anywhere yet. For that reason, I am keeping my emails from the PFBC in my shirt pocket!

If anyone gets any contradictory info in regards to “the ALL Class A sections are open to C&R now” regardless of where they are from a WCO in their area, post it here and I’ll follow up and ask why because the info I posted here came from Law Enforcement and the head of a Regional HQ.

^ Thanks Bamboozle for researching right to the source and posting the info on here. We all hope the PFBC makes the regs a lot clearer in the future.

Just a reminder, anything you see posted on this site or any other online site or publication should not be interpreted or relied upon as the official ruling on any law or regulation. If in doubt, call or write the PFBC for a clarification and official ruling.

I heard the PFBC just came up with a policy that prohibits stocking on all Class A's, and will better utilize those hatchery fish by stocking them in streams that need them. This will also help clear up with muckiness in the regs.

April fools.......

Bamboozle wrote:

I sent you a PM

Very good information bamboozle, thanks for posting. Think PFBC would mind if you posted their emails here for us to read directly?

Back