State Park Closings?

If you've ever been swimmin , even in a farm pond , don't have to dive down very far , maybe 10' , to notice the temperature change , i read something once that said a 20-30 degree change in the ambient/air temp equals about 2 or 3 degree change in water temp. as far as range comparison and effect. Doesn't take much depth for water to at least reach earth temp. which is like 54.

Another idea would be to provide a bypass path so that some of the water bypasses the lake and helps mitigate the warming affect of the lake. This approach is going to be used in Aquetong on a local spring which has been damed up causing water temperature problems.

osprey wrote:
If you've ever been swimmin , even in a farm pond , don't have to dive down very far , maybe 10' , to notice the temperature change , i read something once that said a 20-30 degree change in the ambient/air temp equals about 2 or 3 degree change in water temp. as far as range comparison and effect. Doesn't take much depth for water to at least reach earth temp. which is like 54.

Yes, but to create a year-round cold water supply is a different story. It's not that simple.

TB,

Feel what you want. I don't think you should feel any guilt. I appreciate any conservation work you've done. I stand by my statements. If you're unwilling to take them for what they are, even after an explanation, then perhaps you're guilty of something else too. And you can feel guilty about that. Taking the words of others, and making an effigy of them for those of your train of thought is the worst possible way to rally support for any cause.

Or, pass the outflow through refrigerated coils, then install stadium lights on the stream so fly anglers can fish the hatches throughout the night.

JackM wrote:
Or, pass the outflow through refrigerated coils, then install stadium lights on the stream so fly anglers can fish the hatches throughout the night.

To stay PC we would have to install windmills but we already had that thread. A bypass wouldn't be very expensive. Could be done with PVC pipe.

I was unfair to your idea, but I do think if it were as simple as that, it would be done. I doubt a significant cooling affect could be achieved without diverting the majority of the stream from the lake. It has been said that the lake contributes to downstream thermal issues, but it hasn't been quantified. Judging from the flow I observed in Big Poe Creek as it flowed through the drained lake and the volume of Penns in the area, I would guess the thermal effect is not so significant. Then again, every little bit of cooler water might help. The crux of the matter is whether the additional expense and effort serves enough people to make it worthwhile.

Jack,

Depends on your definition of "significant", and it also depends on which stream we're talking about here. Big Poe is a nice little brookie stream in its own right above the lake. It's fair sized down in the Poe Paddy area. Yeah, it holds a few wild fish down there, both browns and brookies, but they mostly stick to near the mouth of cold water tribs or go into Penns itself in the summertime; Big Poe gets kinda warm despite the relatively fast flow and heavy canopy. Thats why its stocked down there and not a wild trout fishery.

To quantify it, you need only to take the temperature above the lake and below it in August. I've done it, I don't remember numbers but it was significant. As for Penns, its not so much that the warming effect from a small trib is all that significant, its that it takes away a needed thermal refuge. The flow from Big Poe hugs that bank the whole way down through that long slow pool.

pcray1231 wrote:
Jack,

Depends on your definition of "significant", and it also depends on which stream we're talking about here. Big Poe is a nice little brookie stream in its own right above the lake. It's fair sized down in the Poe Paddy area. Yeah, it holds a few wild fish down there, both browns and brookies, but they mostly stick to near the mouth of cold water tribs or go into Penns itself in the summertime; Big Poe gets kinda warm despite the relatively fast flow and heavy canopy. Thats why its stocked down there and not a wild trout fishery.

To quantify it, you need only to take the temperature above the lake and below it in August. I've done it, I don't remember numbers but it was significant. As for Penns, its not so much that the warming effect from a small trib is all that significant, its that it takes away a needed thermal refuge. The flow from Big Poe hugs that bank the whole way down through that long slow pool.

pcray, I took temps in August too.

Just above lake, 12 noon. 64F

Just below spillway, 12:30 pm. 83F

troutbert,

Yeah, that sounds about right. Again, I don't remember exact readings but 20 degrees difference stuck in my mind. Thanks.

Back