St Croix Imperial?

phiendWMD

phiendWMD

I think I've found a decent deal one of these, 5wt 8'6". I'm sure its better than what I am currently using, but is there anything I should know before I buy this?

I use a 9' 5wt that's about 5 years old. The only problem I had was one of the snake guides came loose, but the shop where it was purchased took care of it.

I have one. It's not my favorite rod in my lineup. But I got it cheap, I do like it's action, and it fills a niche. Fills a gap I had in my arsenal. There are nearby streams where it's the go-to.

The older models with the brown blank that came out in the late 90's or so are the wobbly models with soft, progressive action, at least my 9 ft 3/4 is like that. The newer burgundy models are higher modulus and are said to be much faster, and likely lighter in the hand. Haven't cast one. If you get it report back. Not sure it makes much difference, but when the newer burgundy model first came out, it was made in Mexico. Now I think they make them in WI and the less expensive blue blank model, whatever they call it now, is made south of the border.

I have a six foot 2 wt version in this rod and love it. Cast great. but the action from the 2 weight to the five weight changes drastically.

Mine is burgundy, and the action is pretty quick. Not SUPER fast, but crisp and quick. It doesn't have that "canon" feel like some rods, though. I tend to overpower my casts, and when I have a decent amount of line out, it just doesn't feel like it has a ton of power.

Quick and pleasant without a whole lot of power is how I would describe it.

The one I am looking at is burgundy, not brown. Since I've only really used one rod so far, I'm not sure I'm educated enough to report back and be able to describe it accurately. I am using a Berkley rod now with a Shakespeare reel that a very nice person from Craigslist gave to me when I bought something else. It has to be better than that. And if I end up not liking it much, I can always sell it and get something else.

Its pretty crazy I didn't give a damn about fishing at all for the last 20 years and now its my favorite thing to do. I was stressed this afternoon stuck in traffic trying to make it somewhere before they closed. Then I got to the stream and immediately after I got in the water some kids started throwing rocks. I wanted to drown them. 15 minutes later I was lost in bliss.

I have the 7' 3# Imperial. I purchased it last year and love it. It's very light with a smooth action. It's my go to rod for small stream fishing. Made in the USA and great warranty!

I have the an 8'6" 5wt. Over all a decent rod to start on, but I found I prefer a rod that is a bit slower. Has a decent punch to it, good for getting some streamers where you want. How good of a deal are you getting if you don't mind me asking. I paid around $80 for mine.

I have two of them. 8'6" 5wt and just bought a 9' 5wt on thursday. After breaking one of my redingtons. I really like my 8'6", perfect action for me. I will be taking the 9' out on its maiden voyage today. Even brand new the price isnt that bad.

Paulson wrote:
I have the an 8'6" 5wt. Over all a decent rod to start on, but I found I prefer a rod that is a bit slower. Has a decent punch to it, good for getting some streamers where you want. How good of a deal are you getting if you don't mind me asking. I paid around $80 for mine.

80$, Damn. I need to shop where you do.

Ok so its not as good a deal as $80. But for $100 I'll still take it. The seller claims he only used it once or twice.

Phish_On, what kinda fish do you catch in the raging river where Rutherford drowned?

Phish_On wrote:
80$, Damn. I need to shop where you do.

An outdoor store with a small fly section was closing up, half off everything. Saw the chance and took it. I don't think I'll ever pay full price for a rod again, considering some of the deals I have got in the past. Besides maybe a higher end Winston.

$100 for an Imperial is still a good deal in my opinion. For my past two set ups I have waited on getting a discount for clearance items turning $400+ rigs into ~$200 rigs, with good line to. You can get very good gear that is still supported by the manufacture on the cheap quite often, but especially in the fall.

And to the OP, try it with 6wt line to. That is what mine is set up with and it does well.

phiendWMD wrote:
Ok so its not as good a deal as $80. But for $100 I'll still take it. The seller claims he only used it once or twice.

Phish_On, what kinda fish do you catch in the raging river where Rutherford drowned?

The multibeast.

So I picked up the Imperial, and I've got to use it a few times. I like it a lot and everything seems to have improved just from touching it. I can cast further, way more softly...the other rod the fly would hit like a stone...it seems really effortless compared to what I was using. Like it does more of the work for me.

Now I just need to figure out what reel I want.

Great! Its not a bad rod at all, glad you like it.

Reel...I am personally a fan of Redington. I keep my reels in the $100 range...mostly paying for asthetics with trout though.

I definitely like the prices of Redingtons compared to some other stuff. Someone else I know said he has a few Orvis Battenkills and he really likes them. I'm pretty abusive with gear, so something that just works is most important. Next would be I don't really want to spend much more than $100-$150 and an extra spool would be nice. Looks would be nice, but I'll take function over form every time.

I hear ya, I think Redington makes a good product for a good price. I have the Drift and the Rise. I might switch up and get a Trion by Pfluger for my next Rod purchase, because of its price point. All though I might just stick with the Surge because I like Redington so much.

I am pretty tough on my reels when I have a chance to fish, both have held up well with no problems. Easy to take apart and clean out the junk that gets in there. Only complaint with the Rise is that it allows your tippet to get wrapped around easily. I don't feel it being too heavy either, but its a 3/4. As long as it feels balanced.

Hah remember when I said I was abusive? Well I damaged a guide today. Trying to get a fly out of a tree and I ripped half the guide off. I was able to twist it back into place kinda but not really. But I don't care, because after trying like hell since early April to catch a trout on a fly rod, I did today. I am happy.
http://imgur.com/mbhncsW.jpg

Back