Simms Headwaters sling pack

echuck66 wrote:
Simms does make excellent products, but for my needs, I think the Orvis guide sling pack was the better fit. I love the layout of it and the fact that it has an attachment ready to hold my tippet spools.

My only complaint about the Orvis pack is that it doesn't really give me a place to attach my net and ensure I have ready access to it as it would hang off of my right shoulder and I would need to reach behind with my left hand to get it while holding my rod with my right hand. Just not the most convenient location.

I'm also afraid with the larger capacity of the Simms pack that I'd just end up carrying more crap I don't need, which is why I went with a sling pack over a day pack in the first place... to keep from hauling stuff around I didn't need.

Hope you enjoy your new pack! I know I will.

Both of them look like they have awesome designs, as I think sling packs, in general solve a lot of issues as far as obstruction. I don't think there's a bad choice between the two, just a better one for the individual's needs. The part I bolded in your post...well, I know I'll be a self-appointed victim of overpacking, for sure. Like you, it's just too tempting when you have all of that space to not use it. I carry a lot of stuff in my present chest pack already. I just hope that the layout I'm seeing will let me sort all the stuff out properly. I can deal with a lot of stuff, as long as it's organized.

Patagonia makes a sling pack called the Stealth Atom. It's really nice.
It's smaller than the Simms pack and the Orvis guide pack.

Well, that was fast! I placed my order for the Simms Headwaters large sling pack shortly after I said I was pulling the trigger and it got here late yesterday evening.

Initial impressions: it's BIG even when compared to my Fishpond Nimbus guide pack. It has a boatload of space in the non-slotted compartment for...whatever you please. The only potential issue I see there is that since the actual organizer pocket sits further out, jamming a bunch of crap in the non-slotted pocket is going to push all of your actual fishing stuff away from your body, making it much harder to see and retrieve.

The magnetic hemostat slot on the sling is the shiz. It really holds them extremely well. However, I'm still putting them on a zinger because I'm neurotic like that. I'm still figuring all of the options out, but like all Simms products I've encountered, it's really well built and should last a long time.

TYoung -

Sorry for the delayed response. I didn't get a chance to see the Patagonia pack in time to even consider it, but I'll have a look online just to get a sense of what they offer. No matter how good a pack is, none of them last forever so it never hurts to look ahead.

Yeah it'll hold a lot. I normally carry a bugger beast jr, 3-4 additional regular boxes, water bottle, lunch, rain jacket, and all terminal gear. You can fit a full size bugger beast in but have to drop a few reg boxes. I can ALMOST fit in my mfc boat box.

It's my go-to for day trips, but works just as well when you don't need all that gear.

Thanks for the size notes. It's very useful to have someone who has actually stowed all of this stuff in there in a real-world context tell me it'll work rather than sit here and try to guess at what fits based on online pics and such. That bugger beast, jr...hmmm...I may have to get one. I've got a lot of "meat" and not enough "freezer space" right now.

I have both the large Orvis sling and the large 2014 Simms sling. I find the Simms more comfortable to carry over a longer day. I agree with the d ring comment. I wish the Simms pack had one more. I had to add a loop to help with holding tippet horizontal.

Back