San Juan worm

As an ardent streamer man I don't recall any that would meet Jacks high standards but the fish liked them.

jayL wrote:
I will tie you some sucker spawns. You can believe in them.

I believe in you, Jay.

I believe in you.

pete41 wrote:
As an ardent streamer man I don't recall any that would meet Jacks high standards but the fish liked them.

If I established a standard somewhere, find it and kill it.

While SJWs are hardly go-to flies for me - I do fish 'em a fair amount, usually in the springtime and usually tandem with a nymph or sucker spawn.

I find I like to tie my SJWs without the forward extending section as this (at least for me) has resulted in a kinked fly that sometimes twists. I usually tie off the end of the "worm" at the eye of the hook. There's a Hareline Dubbin product I like called "Pearl Core" that makes for a neat and realistic looking SJW.

Attachments

• SJWs.jpg
    SJWs.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 7
Fishi...........those flies look like they will get their attention to me , nice. And if they don't get their attention use JayL's method and let it sit , i can't wait to try that. i'm not being critical but try tying the chenille in at the rear half way around the bend of the hook , it creates a bend in the fly that looks realistic. instead of a straight piece of chenille you start out with a bend already tied into it. kind of like an "L" or "J"

I changed my mind too being unwilling to call Fishidiot's worms "junk."

There are times when a well presented worm imitation will get attention that nothing else will. I wish I knew when that was. Might have saved me during a few stupifying hatches.

osprey wrote:
Fishi...........those flies look like they will get their attention to me , nice. And if they don't get their attention use JayL's method and let it sit , i can't wait to try that. i'm not being critical but try tying the chenille in at the rear half way around the bend of the hook , it creates a bend in the fly that looks realistic. instead of a straight piece of chenille you start out with a bend already tied into it. kind of like an "L" or "J"

All credit goes to squaretail on that method. I'll be trying it.

while fishing the hole where Freeman and The First Fork come together i noticed 2 guys just tearing fish out left and right. They were using floats but i couldn't tell what they were using. The one guy made the mistake and cast over my line. I "generously" brought it in and found all they were doing was drifting a red worm 2 feet from the float in a hole i know is well over 6 feet deep. Maybe try this fly in a shallow drift to see if you get any different effect.

When i tie mine i like bend the ends and to move a lighter of the fly quickly and hold it. The material will stay in the curve and give it a some what "SQUIRMY" (for lack of better term) look

I had a lot of hits on a brown SJW with a bead in the middle in Erie.

mike_richardson wrote:

When i tie mine i like bend the ends and to move a lighter of the fly quickly and hold it. The material will stay in the curve and give it a some what "SQUIRMY" (for lack of better term) look

On the "squirmy" point, I found this article a while back and thought it was interesting:
http://www.landbigfish.com/articles/default.cfm?ID=1930
I did tie a few of these coiled SJWs, but I'm in the camp of no confidence in this type of fly, so I cant recall ever actually tying one on.

On the topic of "junk" flys, I think the definition is simple and has nothing to do with catching fish. If a beginner can tie it after less that 3 months practice and before spending at least $2000 on tools and materials, it must be junk :lol: :lol:

I love "Junk" flies! Easy to tie and catch alot of fish. What more can you ask for. I can tie difficult flies and I do but don't count out the "Junk" flies.

I don't recall reading in on this thread but when I was in MT last Sept. they used swimming nymph hooks and wound red wire around it for their SJW. I am not a big fan of SJWs but this version worked great in faster water and was not as heavy or bulky as a Vladi worm. I have tied some up but i haven't got a chance to use them yet.

FrequentTyer wrote:
On the topic of "junk" flys, I think the definition is simple and has nothing to do with catching fish. If a beginner can tie it after less that 3 months practice and before spending at least $2000 on tools and materials, it must be junk :lol: :lol:

The King of All Junk Flies cannot be tied quickly and easily: the Royal Coachman Dry. Don't forget, you MUST use golden pheasant tippets for the tail.

Golden_Pheasant_Tippets.jpg

I was "that guy" who chased the Adams hatch around Fayette County one season.

Back