Rod upgrade help

9 foot 5/6 weight CW. I want a rod to grow into for now as I progress. Stacking up on tippet, leaders, good fly box, flies are more important as everyone said instead of an extra fly rod.

Though co-worker is trying to convince me to get a Redington Pursuit rod.

Good pick.

I don't work with you but will second their suggestion. If you can snag one on clearance, grab it. Not a bad stick at all. Pretty fast action for that price point.

If you are looking for a reel, I've been looking at the Greys GX 500 & 700 models. The reel comes with 2 extra spools. You buy one reel 4/5/6 model. You load it with wf4f for trout fishing. 2 months later you pick up a 5wt rod. Simply the extra spool with wf5f. You then snag a 6wt for streamers and bass....take your remaining empty spool and put a wr6f/s on it. You then have 3 reels for $85 (gx500 model).

I also bought a Redington Trout Classic Combo 8 foot 4 weight. Sorry I couldn't resist. Also I changed the Orvis order to a Greys GRXi 9 foot 5 weight Combo that comes with the Greys GX300 4/5/6 reel that I can also get 6/7/8 spools interchangeable with the 500 or 700 series as you mentioned Krayfish. Just found out I will be spending some time with family fishing bigger water areas. The reason I got the Grey Combo is for the bigger waters and the Trout Classic will be just for Manatawny, Hay Creek and French Creek. I will probably buy a 10 foot nymphing rod eventually. Don't think I will plan to stop adding to my collection. Though that means most of my spinning gear will be for sale.

:-D

I don't think the 300 has the same spool set up as the 500 & 700 models.

Good for you That you got 2 rods. I think that 5 weight will basically be a 6 weight (according to the Yellowstone Angler 5wt shootout). They were using SA GPX WF5F lines for the testing. That's basically a 5 1/2 weight line. They said the GRXI+ would have perfomed better with a GPX WF6F line (aka 6 1/2 weight). Might suit you for tossing big stuff.

Oops yeah 500-700 are interchangeable but nonetheless they do offer 6/7/8 weight spools.

Back