Rod upgrade help

marcq wrote:
I wouldn't go spend 400 bucks on a new fly rod if I was just starting out or a beginner to the sport. spend the 200 or less and go buy a few nice boxes and some flies. its not the gear you have that catches the fish its having the right flies at the right time.
^This^

+1 on not worrying about test casting as a beginner…you don’t know what you’re looking for in a rod until you’re a little further along in the learning process. I also think it’s generally good advice to not spend a ton on your first rod/reel combo, especially considering you can get a pretty nice setup relatively inexpensively. There’s other expenses to think about too…waders, boots, flies, boxes, leaders, tippet, floatant…spend some of that extra money on those.

My recommendation is to get something middle of the road (med/fast action, 8-9’ ft, 4-5wt) for around $150-$200 for the whole set up, reel and line included. Focus on the quality of the rod more so than the reel…for 99% of the fish you catch in PA, you won’t be using the reel. Spending that much will get you something that’s decent quality, and will make a nice backup setup if/when you do decide to upgrade or specialize your lineup later. The med/fast action will allow you to develop your casting stoke and learn what type of rod actually suits you best. If you do learn that you prefer a more medium action, or a really fast action in the end, the med/fast will still be a serviceable compromise when needed as a backup.

:-o You guys want me to stuff flies in a box?! Oh the cruelty! What did those bugs ever do to you!

I am glad that I can get real opinions here and good honest feedback. I don't plan on spening $400 on a rod and reel setup. I just thought knock out 2 birds with 1 stone type of situation.You know, don't want to look like fishing rambo carrying half dozen rods on the water.

I'll continue to add flies to my collection well, I was suppose to get a big batch of 8 dozen flies today. Guess mother nature had other plans.

Now I am only down to the gear part now. Waders, wading boots, landing net, tippet material (been using fluorocarbon) and leaders (I make my own knot leaders), basic tools like clippers and floatant spray. Maybe a vest? Or chest pack?

Right or wrong, I pointed this gentleman in the direction of 2 outfits for $170-ish each. Instead of spending $400 on one set up, get 2 combos for $350-$360. TFO Signature 8' 4wt with a reel, backing and line. Redington Pursuit 9' 5wt with reel, backing and line. I recommended that a 7'6" - 8' 4wt was a good all around selection for PA. The 5wt can handle bigger water and is stout enough to comfortably cast a 6wt line for streamers or smallies.

As for vest / pack, waders, etc...shop smart and you'll find some deals.

Basic / suggestive patterns like pheasant tail, hares ear, prince in sizes #10 - #18 will cover 90% of your sub surface fishing. A couple of buggers, zonkers and sculpins if you want to dabble in streamer fishing. For dries, adams, sulphurs and just for Gary... royal coachman in #10 - #18.

Youtube will have some tutorial type of stuff you can watch. Take a little time to watch videos on knots, casting, reading water and insect identification. Good luck and knock em dead this year!

Krayfish I think I owe you beer and lawn mowing service! Yes, your help has pointed me in the right direction and that is the move I am going for. I enjoy this topic as it is what I need to know from someone who has been doing for years. This expert help will save me a lot of time and headache. I just want to do it right and not do it wrong. I don't want to be that guy using a surf rod trying to catch bass.

Of course I'll accept a beer. How about swapping out lawn service for killing the mole family that's ruined my entire yard over the last 12-18 months. Didn't know such a little critter could do so much damage.

Just get out there and have some fun. It's a great sport / hobby.

I feel a rod has not been mentioned that should.....Winston Passport

I would recommend the Redington Voyant 9' 4wt. At $189.99 it's very reasonable for an entry level rod. This is my workhorse, I own several rods 2-3 times the price of the voyant, but I probably fish it more than anything. I fish streamers up to about 5", has a fast enough tip to nymph with, but is still soft enough to protect light tippet for dries. IMO it's a very underrated rod...

No need to pay $200.00 for the rod: Link to Cabela's and Redington CT:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Fly-Fishing/Fly-Fishing-Rods|/pc/104793480/c/104721480/sc/105573780/Redington-CT-Classic-Trout-Fly-Rods/711781.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffly-fishing-rods%2F_%2FN-1102568%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_105573780%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104793480%253Bcat104721480&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104793480%3Bcat104721480%3Bcat105573780

They only have it in 3 sizes! What's that all about? The Winston rod is as much as complete combos he's looking at. not discounting the passport but he's trying to get the most bang for the buck.Don't know t about voyant other than a convo with a guy in Redington tech dept......brought up that rod for my nephew and he said the pursuit / path was twice the rod but cheaper. He and a couple of the guys in the shop got to fish / test out the gear and he said "I would take a voyant if it was free.". That was enough to keep me from even looking at it.

Two rods one wt apart intended for the same thing dosent make sense to me. If your going for trout a 4wt is probably the best choice for you. Both rods will be able to do everything you beed to do with them. Just seems like a waste of money just starting out. Im sure once you get into the sport your stockpile of rods will build as most of us.
I thing you get your trout whether iits a 4 or 5. Then you go to a 7wt. Probably the rod that can be used for more species then any other rod. This opens up carp,shad,bass,streamer fishing for large trout, and even some light saltwater action. Or you go the other way and get a 2 or 3 wt. This is for lighter trout. Alot of small wild streams and panfish if you are into that.

Or you could just buy one rod get a sick vest nice fly boxes and a good selection of flies.

Just my thoughts.

^^ I think those are some good thoughts...^^

So simple question is will a 9 foot 5 weight be douable for both dry and nymph? How about occasional streamers? If one pole can eliminate having two rods I will be sold.
It is just I read too much about how you should get this rod for this and this rod for that.

Yes, the 9' 5wt will be fine for dries on bigger water, nymphing and light/med streamer duty. The smaller rod will suit most of an every day use for the typical PA trout stream. With that said, what do I really know anyhow?

I really like the idea of getting a 6' 1wt and a 9' 8wt. If you limit yourself to small native trout and stripers, you'll bet set. If you want to fish nymphs, enjoy your struggle. Want to streamer fish the little lehigh, your 8wt is waaay overkill. Want to fish Penns, Little J or other similar sized waters, don't forget to stop and buy a new rod before you go.

The 2 rods I suggested are rods that you will use for 99% of PA trout waters. Yes, they are one weight apart but they are also different lenghts and different actions. The 5wt will easily handle a 6wt line and could be used for carp and bass if you wish to fish for them. If you are more likely to do bass, musky and such, you might want to change one of the rods for a 6-7 or 8 weight. I assumed you were still quite green and would spend most time on small to medium trout waters / farm ponds. You will get suggestions for everything from 5' 0 wts to 14' spey rods. Take all of this with a grain of salt. You know where you intend to fish and what you intend to fish for. FWIW, almost 100% of my fishing in the state is done with a 9' 4wt or 9' 5wt.

++1 to that info

Well your suggestions is what I was going for and I plan on sticking with it. I was just approaching the idea like regular fishing. Different size rods for certain situation and tackle to use. I want to keep one rod for nymphing only and one rod for dry and streamers. If am nymphing I would like a long rod and if I am throwing dries I want to be able to move about and not get hung up because of the rod length.

Trout is what I intend to use the fly rods for. I have spent too much in Bass gear to care about using a fly rod for Bass or other fish.

that last post was a little miss leading.

well it seems like you have already made your mind up but one rod will do allow you to nymph, streamer fish and fish dries. it doesn't matter if it is a 4 wt or 5 wt. it could be a Winston,TFO, or Orvis. they are all good rods and I own models all of them. and in reality one rod will probably grow on you and that will be the rod you use all the time. in most cases you don't go down to the stream expecting to have a full hatch going on. so you nymph then it something starts to come off you just snip what you have and add some fresh tippet and tie you dry on. its that simple. I just think two rods are making things a little more complicated when it really isn't. are you going to be carrying two rods around when you are on the water?

by the way if you break an orvis rod or cabelas rod you just take it to the store and hand it to them. they bring out a brand new rod and say have a nice day. no waiting a week to send it in and get it back in the mail.

Well it all made sense before I typed it I meant 2 rods for different water situation. If I was going to go to a small creek or a big creek that day. Boozed up typing never makes sense. After being indecisive I decided to go with the Orvis Clearwater combo. The rest will be use to buy other gear. Sorry for the confusion people.

I actually meant mine. yours was fine.

"Well it all made sense before I typed it I meant 2 rods for different water situation. If I was going to go to a small creek or a big creek that day. Boozed up typing never makes sense. After being indecisive I decided to go with the Orvis Clearwater combo. The rest will be use to buy other gear. Sorry for the confusion people. "

What weight and length ?

Congrats.

Back