Rainbow trout: answer to poor natural reproduction in Pa.

Squaretail wrote:
Rainbows cannot withstand the same acid levels as brookies.
Actually they're the least tolerant of the big three.

I'm pretty sure that is true.

At one time I thought the Browns had the least tolerence, but someone proved me wrong. It may have been Mike. It probably splains why rainbows haven't taken over more of the NWPA freestones.

Since brookies are our native trout they should be given priority over other trout when considering establishing a reproducing population of trout. The temperature difference they require is about 1 degree cooler, which is easily obtainable. And other factors can be control, like acidity, and pollution so it really isn't all that hard to do a restore rather than create.

well dudes, I can't say I've followed the entire thread, but I did get out to fish a wild bow stretch this afternoon.

If I'm fishing a wild/native freestoner, whether it's the dead of winter or not, I'm throwing dries, as I just don't find nymphing or streamer fishing that fun for small to average fish.

anyway, my boy was w. me, who got a little sick of being fishless, put on a san juan worm, and started pounding wild bows, and not just dinks, 10 and bigger fish. As we was releasing one of the males, we saw some "milk" dripping out.

excited for some steady dry fly action on some other species besides brooks. It's almost here.

Back