WHITE Rubber/Silicone Legs..???..your thoughts please

BruceC2C

BruceC2C

Any GravelBar, will do just fine. 365. Fresh&Salt
I recently started to tie my first batch of Pat's Rubber Legs.

Scrolling thru various recipes , some tied with White Legs.

For the life of me, NO WAY I can get myself to even think about using White Legs... compared to a multitude of other color options ( amber, olive, copper, ginger,etc)
,...that r more representative of colors found in stream bed life.

I know I can use a Sharpie to customize the white color.
That is not an attractive option for me.

Pretty accurate to admit there r tons of quality fish caught on flies with White Rubber Legs...

With your input & experience, please to tell me what I am missing
with my Myopic view on White Rubber Legs.

I recently started to tie my first batch of Pat's Rubber Legs.

Scrolling thru various recipes , some tied with White Legs.

For the life of me, NO WAY I can get myself to even think about using White Legs... compared to a multitude of other color options ( amber, olive, copper, ginger,etc)
,...that r more representative of colors found in stream bed life.

I know I can use a Sharpie to customize the white color.
That is not an attractive option for me.

Pretty accurate to admit there r tons of quality fish caught on flies with White Rubber Legs...

With your input & experience, please to tell me what I am missing
with my Myopic view on White Rubber Legs.
you're not missing anything. Use what color(s) you are confident in.

for me, a girdle bug is tied with white rubber legs

Girdle-Bug-1080.jpg

and a pat's rubber legs is tied with brown or maybe black rubber legs

Pat_s_Rubber_Legs_1080.jpg

I like fly tying because I get to do what I want to do and I rarely follow a pattern exactly. With that said, I do believe Pats rubber legs are historically tied with spanflex. I could be wrong about that because I also don’t care much about fly history and those who tied them. Use white, black, pink, round square, flat or whatever makes you the happiest.

I'm tying these in 14. 3.3 coffee tungsten bead. Some legs are Grizzly micro legs in rootbeer and MFC small barred sexi-floss in golden yellow. The sexi floss is tougher, it will not snap, but the silicone micro legs are tough enough. Further, if you're interested, the under flash is Glitter Thread Drk Brown, 07 and the wrap is Wapsi stretch tube in tan or D rib medium tan. SLF squirrel brown with pheasant ice dub mixed in. I like it a lot and it works when gray foxes and chills are about

Back