Pliers/Hemostats/Forceps

Whatever my friend, the dentist, is using.

William and Josephs Hemo cuts are very nice. Im looking at the large pair for warmwater fishing.

pwk5017 wrote:
WildTigerTrout wrote:
I have some gear that could be considered top shelf. My hemostats are not a part of that gear. I have a pair that are matte finish steel and cost maybe $5. I really don't see the need to pay top dollar for a tool that's used to remove a hook from a trout's mouth. Just my opinion.

Yeah, I cant see a pair of hemos over 5-10 dollars being that incredibly awesome that I would buy them. However, I will say that an expensive pair of pliers are worth the money to some people. For example, I do use conventional tackle from time to time, and I exclusively use braid. A pair of $5 pliers will not cut braid, whether its 6lb or 40lb. My cavalla pliers with tungsten cutters will cut through any bite guard, and all lb tests of braid. I can cut through hooks if I wanted to. Next, salt water will destroy most cheap pliers. Finally, dont you enjoy the feeling of a well made tool in your hand? In my earlier post, I mentioned I had a pair of $2 ebay hemostats. They felt cheap. Flexed under pressure/torquing, and the jaws failed to grip small flies properly. There is something to be said about using well made tools(not necessarily expensive), and unfortunately I think this is often overlooked.
I enjoy the feel of a well made flyrod and reel in my hand. I really can't say the same about my hemostats. To me their use is so limited that I really can't justify buying a real expensive pair. I don't use them that much.

My brother uses a pair with the hook dislodger on it. Actually, you can simply by the dislodger as well. He seems to like both. You just push and most (debarbed) hooks just pop out. His are matte black.

I joked that I might spray my shiney forceps with black Rustoleum...then I seriously thought about doing just that...

Tip for using forceps at the bench, I use tiny rubber bands up near the finger loops when I have a task that requires tension on the jaws, or for when the locking notches aren't exactly where I need them.

Volksnurse wrote:
Yep, the scissors out of suture removal kits are the bomb for tying.

Especially when you have a nurse friend to keep you supplied! :-D

Foxgap239 wrote:
Volksnurse wrote:
Yep, the scissors out of suture removal kits are the bomb for tying.

Especially when you have a nurse friend to keep you supplied! :-D

Oh, OK. I see how this works. :cry:

Man I've had my hemos for like, 15 years. I don't even remember buying them, but somehow I ended up with a pair! Don't know the brand, don't care. They work when I need them, which is rarely.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Man I've had my hemos for like, 15 years. I don't even remember buying them, but somehow I ended up with a pair! Don't know the brand, don't care. They work when I need them, which is rarely.

Because you don't catch fish? Amiright?

Right Becks, I spend all my time watching the turf fairies on TV when I should be feeshin!

Haha

Still using the chrome pair from the ER from 20 years ago when I needed stitches. All I had to do was ask - they gave me the hemostats and tweezers. That said, I do have a pair of Dr. Slicks I got when I worked at a fly shop a few years back. I like that the first 1/4 inch is ground flat.

I like that the first 1/4 inch is ground flat.

A grinding wheel will do the same thing in about 20 seconds. Just saying. If you don't have a "real" one, a dremel will do just fine.

I picked up a pair of Orvis scissor forceps and they're great. A little pricey at $20, but I got them on sale for $10, which still seems a bit outrageous for a tool I can get at the local shop for a buck. The problem I had using the really cheap forceps was if I needed to smash my barb on a hook, you can't get enough pressure with the cheaper ones.

Back