Plague of Locusts Coming

Last time this brood emerged the area around California PA and was polluted with them.

The link I put up in my earlier post listed the counties and towns with the densest hatches >

Pennsylvania Counties: Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Butler, Clarion, Indiana, Lawrence, Venango, Washington, Westmoreland.

Pennsylvania Cities: Apollo, Baden, Beaver, Burgettstown, Center Township, Cheswick, Chippewa, Cranberry, Economy Boro, Ellwood City, Fawn Township, Finnleyville, Freedom, Gilpin, Greensburg, Harmony, Hopewell, Indiana, Midland, Natrona Heights, New Brighton, Pittsburgh, Robinson Township, Rochester, Sewickley, Shelocta, West Deer, and more.

Link to source >https://www.cicadamania.com/cicadas/brood-viii-will-emerge-in-2019-in-pennsylvania-ohio-and-west-virginia/

Seems like there might be some warmwater opportunities.

Some of you must remember the last time this brood came around.

Did you find some good fishing?

If so, where?

Last time I fished them was above Ingleby on Penns......Used a small Hedgehog....... It’s a Western Fly used to imitate a Salmon Fly..... The western trout also are intimidated by a bigger size Fly...

So where are the cicadas. Anyone seeing them around.

I haven't seen or heard anything yet.

They'll supposed to start appearing mid to late may.
But the weather has been kinda cool.
And I think soil temperature affects emergence time

Just saw a report on the local news that they're emerging in a Pittsburgh suburb

They are in full swing north of Pittsburgh. Harmony, Ellwood City area.

Yeah, in full swing. This is in Armstrong County

20190526_132826_zpsufsoziwc.jpg

Those are super fresh looking. Hatching in cranberry township in southern butler county. Hoping they make their way up to lake Arthur soon. SRC has been unfishable for most of May. Anyone else seeing them around northern butler and Lawrence counties?

To locate the cicadas, think about listening for them instead of looking for them.....sorta like turkey hunting or elk hunting during the rut.

The Cicada Safari app is available for those looking for sighting locations.

Just loaded the cicada safari app

I was planning on taking off work Thursday and Friday and heading out to the Pittsburg area. I was hoping some of you west coasters could share with me some areas where the hatch is heavy. Most of my intel has been where they’re not. I know the flows are high. I was thinking about possibly pushing the trip back a week. Is anyone getting any cicada fishing action?

Going twice...?

The areas I know where they are currently happening are way way high & blown out. Not just a bit high, blown the F out. It's a bummer.

When we had them in SCPA some years ago, according to my records, they emerged in May and were pretty much over and done with by June 20th.

Time to get out and listen....then go fly fishing.

https://imgur.com/a/YYdqXq2

There must be some bass and/or carp water within the cicada zone.

If you have the opportunity, go for it.

They are heavy north of Pittsburgh up to about I80 easy to east Liverpool and over to the Allegheny river along 80. Most major creeks are blown out. I found a nice trib to the Ohio river and caught my first carp on top water on a cicada yesterday. I’m off Thursday and Friday as well looks like lakes are going to be the key.

Back