Piping through amish land

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
Lancaster county is only 16 percent forest land. Are you suggesting it's ok to cut through the middle of what we have left?

We have impaired air quality. The trees are important.

Trees are important and personally I wish there were a lot more of them in Lancaster County but most of it was converted into a giant cornfield years ago.

So we should keep burning coal to generate electricity? Continue to import oil from the middle east? I respect your position and passion. Personally I think conservation efforts in Lancaster County need to be focused on reducing the huge amounts of farm waste, fertilizer, nitrates, soil, etc. that is flowing into the Chesapeake system on a daily basis.

Here's a question, Sal. If it follows the powerlines, isn't that land that has already been cleared? This would be worth finding out.

Does anyone have a link to a more detailed graphic of where the proposed Central Penn line is supposed to go? I'd like to take a look at some facts as opposed to newspaper handringing, as Conservancy land covers a fair amount of acreage in the River Hills. Also, for all I can tell from the graphic in the newspaper report, this goes through my backyard.

Mcsneek,

I agree our effort should mainly lay on the farmland but I'm not about to put some of the best streams we have for habitat and water quality under threat either. Especially those on public land.

As far as the gas, I couldn't careless about it. I'd rather pay double to heat my crumby apartment and pay an extra 2000 dollars in taxes a year just to make them stay out of the conservancy.

Sasquatch,

As far as I know they would need to clear a 100 foot wide space. I also don't remember seeing any power lines through tucquan glen in the middle of the forest . A more detailed map is needed.

Either way, Williams has a long history of not maintaining their pipes and has had many fires/ explosions. On as early as 4/5/14 in wv. Look it up. I don't have to tell you the devestation that would cause on the conservancy property .

Also I never suggested not putting in the pipes. However it really does appear that they specifically targeted these lands.

Why compensate the farmers when you can get it for free!
Here in lancaster you don't f with agriculture but we will cut down every last tree in the name of a dollar.

This is the most detailed map I could find , and it sucks.

Map

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
Mcsneek,

I agree our effort should mainly lay on the farmland but I'm not about to put some of the best streams we have for habitat and water quality under threat either. Especially those on public land.

As far as the gas, I couldn't careless about it. I'd rather pay double to heat my crumby apartment and pay an extra 2000 dollars in taxes a year just to make them stay out of the conservancy.

Sasquatch,

As far as I know they would need to clear a 100 foot wide space. I also don't remember seeing any power lines through tucquan glen in the middle of the forest . A more detailed map is needed.

Either way, Williams has a long history of not maintaining their pipes and has had many fires/ explosions. On as early as 4/5/14 in wv. Look it up. I don't have to tell you the devestation that would cause on the conservancy property .

There is a power line that goes right over Tucquan Woodworks (the home/business right in between the parking areas on River Road). There is another one upstream, before the road transitions to asphalt. My guess is it would be the latter line, as the former goes down to Holtwood Power Plant. PPL has a lot but not all of the land under those lines locked up under their ownership.

Your map download link is not working for me.

That makes sense. I never really tried or looked much upstream of the parking area. I didn't think there were any downstream.

Now the link isn't working for me either. Oh well it was only a little more detailed than the paper's map

I've been told there are plans to send Pennsylvania gas to Eastern Europe. The schedule has been pushed up very quickly so the people will not stay warm this winter. Remember we have a governor up for election this year and no taxes on the gas leaving Pennsylvania.

CRB wrote:
I've been told there are plans to send Pennsylvania gas to Eastern Europe. The schedule has been pushed up very quickly so the people will not stay warm this winter.

What do you mean the people will not stay warm this winter?! Who? Pennsylvanians? Do you really believe that?

I actually support exporting gas and oil. It makes a lot of sense, actually. Particularly as we deal with countries like Russia. They're a liquid gas based economy. We don't want to get into a military bat with them, so I think it makes good sense that we export natural gas and hurt their wallets. They can pretty much can hold Eastern Europe hostage by turning off the flow of gas. We're taking that power away from them, and we're doing it w/out bombs.

I also support the idea of supplying gas to countries like Poland - for example, the red army felt so good about liberating Poland in ww2 that they stayed to celebrate for almost 45 years. US LNG cant immediately change this, but it can part of the progress away from Putin being able to hold EU members and American allies hostage:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/easternapproaches/2014/04/poland-and-russia

Word....

I promise, a nuke is far worse for the environmen than ANY fracking accident! Do what we can to take power away from goons like Putin, and do it w/out the bombs.

Link

I too support using the natural gas in such ways but I CANNOT support the pipelines proposed route. It's ridiculous. Move it a little east and pay the extra bucks to do it already.

From 1986 to 2007. 52 million dollars in property damage. The pipelines need to stay out of the preserves.

Link

I agree Sal, it should not run through a nature preserve. What's the point of a preserve?

You working today? I get off at 3pm. Fishing?

Long story but not today. I'm available after2 wed and Thursday. If it's nice might hit some smallies. Got a Phillipson 8.5 7wt coming just for that too :)

I couldn't do either one. Bummer. Friday I could do it (off at 3), and this weekend of course. Oh well. We'll get it soon. I want to hit the smallies too.

Salmonid, You minimized the value of your contribution by calling your link General Information. Within the article is the first very specific info that speaks to potential terrestrial impacts. Obviously, stream crossings were going to occur. How could they not? But this article is the first I have seen that specifies that while the pipelines will follow power line rights-of-way, they will not be within the rights-of-way, but will instead involve the expansion of the rights-of-way footprints by 50 ft, and by up to 125 ft during construction.

Back