Pennsylvania Game and Fish Magazine

I know there are some Yough regulars on here. Is there a good Green Drake hatch on there, as the article says?

Yea, the D not mentioned, strange.

I have not hit the drakes on the Yough. My impression is that it could be good for a short time in particulat sections. I have never been impressed with the hatches on the Yough. The tan caddis hatch is okay there. Maybe the youghriverguide could shed some light on that one.

I agree that the green drake hatch on penns, and sulphers on the little j should not be missed.
But IMO, the ultimate hatch matching experience in PA would be the Hendricksons on the Big D. Which, unfortunately, is/was a total wash out this year.

I've fished caddis on oil creek - and it's OK. But I think the sulpher hatch provides better fishing there.

As for the yough, I've never fished it before mid June. Because it usually runs at a high flow rate in spring. And I've always been busy chasing the hatches in central PA then. But maybe I should check out that green drake hatch there.....

dryflyguy wrote:
I agree that the green drake hatch on penns, and sulphers on the little j should not be missed.
But IMO, the ultimate hatch matching experience in PA would be the Hendricksons on the Big D. Which, unfortunately, is/was a total wash out this year.

I've fished caddis on oil creek - and it's OK. But I think the sulpher hatch provides better fishing there.

As for the yough, I've never fished it before mid June. Because it usually runs at a high flow rate in spring. And I've always been busy chasing the hatches in central PA then. But maybe I should check out that green drake hatch there.....

I agree with DFG and both points: spectacular hatch and a washout this season. I try to hit the D every season for the hendrickson hatch, but this year was a no-go!

I can't believe they left out the Hendricksons on Upper Pine but it's ok that they left it out. It is better than the hatch on the Big D.

pcray1231 wrote:
I've got Penns Drakes, Valley Caddis, Oil Caddis, and LJR sulfurs under my belt.

Sounds a little messy.

Stone_Fly wrote:
I can't believe they left out the Hendricksons on Upper Pine but it's ok that they left it out. It is better than the hatch on the Big D.

Pine Creek certainly does have a great hendrickson and, - usually at the same time - blue quill hatch.
But I still catch larger fish on the Big D

Back