soft hackle hook

A

atticus

Looking for recommendation on a good barbless hook for soft hackles with just enough hook weight to help sink into the surface film.

Dear atticus,

It's not exactly the answer you are looking for but I tie soft hackles on Mustad 3906B's which are 1X long 1X stout nymph hooks. I bought hundreds and hundreds of them 40 years ago and haven't run out yet. The barbs are easy enough to crush with hemostats.

If you want barbless check the hook makers websites for a 1X long 1X stout nymph hook. I'm certain that Mustad, Tiemco, and just about any other maker has hooks that fit that profile.

Good luck!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I've always though a good caddis pupa hook would work well.

Anything will suffice but I use a Daiichi 1640 which is straight eyed, straight shanked, regular wire, 2X short, Perfect bend, bronze hook which is very similar to the classic Drennan hook that gives me the look I like.

They are NOT barbless.

The umpqua XC230BL is a really nice hook for this.

pinch the barb on your favorite wet fly hook

Looking for recommendation on a good barbless hook for soft hackles with just enough hook weight to help sink into the surface film.
You could just use any standard dry fly hook, if your goal is to keep the fly in the surface film.

And others said, you can just pinch the barbs. I use needle nose pliers for that.

I like the dohiku 302 hooks.

You could just use any standard dry fly hook, if your goal is to keep the fly in the surface film.

And others said, you can just pinch the barbs. I use needle nose pliers for that.
I find the dry fly hook a little to light

Mustad 3906B, S82A

Fulling Mill's FM5095 is a superb wet fly and soft hackle hook.

Back