Palomino trout

For those of you who ignore those glowing objects in the water its amazing how many trout hang around them! I often use one of those goldens as a target and I'll constantly pick off fish around them. I've caught some of those golden rainbows on sucker spawns mostly.

Farmer Dave,

The streams I have found them in are excellent trout streams themselves and are tributaries to another fantastic wild trout stream that gets stocked heavily. In fact each season multiple golden raimbows get stocked near the mouths of these streams under this one particular bridge. I can only surmise that these fish have traveled io thsee streams from those locations. But I'm hoping that you're right with them being wild. Nothing would be cooler than a class A population or Golden Rainbows lol..just kidding, of course.

It is hard to say though, people do obviously spread fish around and do illegal stockings. I don't think that that is the case here, though..

Solitariolupo wrote:

The ones I’ve been chasing are definitely stocked but they have been in there all summer then in fall they seem to disappear with the rest of the trout. This is the second year I saw this.

Most of the negative stuff said on here (at least by me) wasn't meant to be serious. This was especially true when I mentioned could be wild.

It's true that I am not a fan of those hatchery freaks, but I don't mean to offend or suggest they shouldn't be stocked.

I suppose golden rainbow could "occur" in nature, but if there are other critters in the water, there is no way a stream born neon trout would make it beyond the fry stage.

But if stocked as an adult in a trout stream, they can survive as long as they have cover.

I'm thinking a 9 inch live golden rainbow would probably make great musky bait. ;-)

bigjohn58 wrote:
For those of you who ignore those glowing objects in the water its amazing how many trout hang around them! I often use one of those goldens as a target and I'll constantly pick off fish around them. I've caught some of those golden rainbows on sucker spawns mostly.

Quite true, but that qualifies as a spot burn.;-)

jifigz wrote:
Farmer Dave,

The streams I have found them in are excellent trout streams themselves and are tributaries to another fantastic wild trout stream that gets stocked heavily. In fact each season multiple golden raimbows get stocked near the mouths of these streams under this one particular bridge. I can only surmise that these fish have traveled io thsee streams from those locations.

Sounds reasonable.

But I'm hoping that you're right with them being wild. Nothing would be cooler than a class A population or Golden Rainbows lol..just kidding, of course.

:lol: You had me going for a second.

It is hard to say though, people do obviously spread fish around and do illegal stockings. I don't think that that is the case here, though..

If it is remote and no camps around, I wouldn't think that, either. ;-)

Farmer_Dave,

It isn't remote at all..I'm referencing Honey and Tea Creek which both enter Kish Creek in a very close proximity. The place where golden rainbows are always stocked is the bridge over Kish in Lumber City. So, someone could move them, but I'm sure the fish have just traveled. Seems like a lot of effort to just put a golden rainbow in a slightly different spot.

But yeah, those wild golden rainbows would be cool, right? I mean, if we were the only state to have that happen, people would be flocking here instead of Montana or Patagonia! Lol, once again, just kidding..

FarmerDave wrote:
Solitariolupo wrote:

The ones I’ve been chasing are definitely stocked but they have been in there all summer then in fall they seem to disappear with the rest of the trout. This is the second year I saw this.

Most of the negative stuff said on here (at least by me) wasn't meant to be serious. This was especially true when I mentioned could be wild.

It's true that I am not a fan of those hatchery freaks, but I don't mean to offend or suggest they shouldn't be stocked.

I suppose golden rainbow could "occur" in nature, but if there are other critters in the water, there is no way a stream born neon trout would make it beyond the fry stage.

But if stocked as an adult in a trout stream, they can survive as long as they have cover.

I'm thinking a 9 inch live golden rainbow would probably make great musky bait. ;-)

As for them being wild. I’m sure they can just like the other invasive rainbows. The fish commission would have to stock them in numbers just like the other trout.
Im Not a trout nut anymore I used to be as a kid. Used to love to see how many I could catch.
As for them being Muskie bait, they work great same with the other trout. I honestly think that’s what happens to them. They make it to the river then Muskie and pike bait. I’ve caught more Muskie then palominos. Just like to challenge myself nowadays.

bigjohn58 wrote:

My buddy does this. He’ll look for the goldens and head right to them. He use them as a indicator for other trout. Every time I see them the Golden’s are higher in the water column and there could be like 10 to 20 trout below.

Solitariolupo wrote:
bigjohn58 wrote:

My buddy does this. He’ll look for the goldens and head right to them. He use them as a indicator for other trout. Every time I see them the Golden’s are higher in the water column and there could be like 10 to 20 trout below.

Your buddy knows whats going on! lol sounds exactly what I do a lot of the time when around the stockies.

I would love to paint a cement trout yellow and throw in into decent pool and have anglers fish for it.... over and over again

LOL... that’s the best idea I’ve seen posted in quite some time...

Man, they get around. I usually catch one when I don't notice it was there, like in deep, dirty water. There is some joy in fooling something that was targeted 438 times that day, however. I know some guides who chase them in Bellefonte on their days off :-D

I have only ever caught one Palomino Trout and it was quite a trophy at somewhat > 12". This was way back in the days when I was only 18 years young living and working a construction job in West Virginia.

My neighbor and I were were "Y" stick fishing with corn and drinking a 12 pack of Stroh's fire brewed beer. Back in those days(1977/1978), Stroh's was the king of beers in the Mountain State of West Virginia.

We were fishing a stocked pond in Wetzel County, WV, which is along the Ohio River. Not exactly native or wild trout water. I remember cooking that trout for supper but don't remember if it was any good given that I was an 18 year old inexperienced chef with 6 fire brewed Stroh's under my belt.

Canoetripper wrote:
I have only ever caught one Palomino Trout and it was quite a trophy at somewhat > 12". This was way back in the days when I was only 18 years young living and working a construction job in West Virginia.

My neighbor and I were were "Y" stick fishing with corn and drinking a 12 pack of Stroh's fire brewed beer. Back in those days(1977/1978), Stroh's was the king of beers in the Mountain State of West Virginia.

We were fishing a stocked pond in Wetzel County, WV, which is along the Ohio River. Not exactly native or wild trout water. I remember cooking that trout for supper but don't remember if it was any good given that I was an 18 year old inexperienced chef with 6 fire brewed Stroh's under my belt.

Lol two thumbs up. Great post. Ive got two palominos so far one was drifting a night crawler and it was 18 in. The other was on my buddies private pond on a curly tail grub. I think I was pretty much in the same boat as you being pretty messed up. Don’t even think I remember seeing the fish lol.

40 plus years ago I took my coworker to Clarks to learn to fly fish. We caught a few then saw a big yellow turd lying on the bottom. No fly would move it. Somehow we ended up netting the stupid thing and put my buddy's fly in it's mouth. Let it go for my buddy to "play" it but it just laid there. I have hated them ever since. Yes it was as stupid thing to do but we were young.

Try a fly that’s flashy and or a hotspot. I was not even targeting these two palominos this week, but landed 2. Where I was I believe they where hold over as it was a 2-3 mile hard hike in. An they where pretty big, they didn’t show any of the normal irradic weird behavior. Other then following the nymph down the pool, and as it swung up like an emerger they would take it.

laszlo wrote:
I would love to paint a cement trout yellow and throw in into decent pool and have anglers fish for it.... over and over again

Sit it on an old bed spring if you need to restock your tackle box.

salvelinus wrote:
40 plus years ago I took my coworker to Clarks to learn to fly fish. We caught a few then saw a big yellow turd lying on the bottom. No fly would move it. Somehow we ended up netting the stupid thing and put my buddy's fly in it's mouth. Let it go for my buddy to "play" it but it just laid there. I have hated them ever since. Yes it was as stupid thing to do but we were young.
Funny stuff! :lol:

Probably 20 years ago on a Memorial Day weekend, I was fishing with my little brother and a couple of my friends. While driving around, we came across the co-op hatchery that had a fishing derby going on that was open to the public. They have a small creek with a dam and a couple of hatchery runs. They were cleaning out their runs. Most of the breeders were being tossed into the river, but a few were tossed into the pond and creek.

We decided to try to check it out and also try to catch a couple for dinner. Little brother was helping with the bucket brigade, and they handed him a 6 gallon bucket with a single golden rainbow in it. Why just that one fish? It was HUGE. It's tail was sticking out of the top of the bucket! It was at least 10 pounds. Little brother tossed it in the pond near where me and my two friends were fishing. One of my friends who is a seasoned fly angler decided to bounce a sculpin pattern in front of it. Wouldn't you know it, that huge yellow freak ate it in less than a minute. A few seconds later he landed it. He briefly looked around with a confused look on his face, like... what do I do with this? He considered throwing it back, but then he spotted a little girl fishing nearby and quickly and discretely gave it to her hoping nobody would notice.

Well, we noticed and had a lot of fun at his expense for the rest of the day. Correction, the rest of the year!

Nymph-wristed wrote:
Man, they get around. I usually catch one when I don't notice it was there, like in deep, dirty water. There is some joy in fooling something that was targeted 438 times that day, however. I know some guides who chase them in Bellefonte on their days off :-D

That area in Bellefonte should be a kids area...anglers that get out often shouldn't even be proud of catching fish at that spot especially the goldens.

Back