PA Non Resident 1-day license too $$$$?

NoMoreCornChuckin wrote:
According to PA Game Commission, if I owned 80 or more acres, I would qualify for a resident license.

I did not know that. Do you have a link? I own over 80 acres and that would be a nice discount.

But you can bet that most out-of-state fishermen don't buy licenses because of the high fee.

If that's the case...then good. Especially with all the spot burnzzz and what not..

I'm pretty sure all the fishermen I see in Potter with OH, MD, NJ, NY, VA, Ontario, etc. plates have bought licenses. And there's plenty of them.

If your that close buy a season license. NJ is $40 for a non res. New York has the lowest price nearby.
But licenses for Mt are very high, as are some of the other western states.
At 26.70 it's a bargain in PA.

wsender wrote:
I think they're appropriately priced, and I'm an out of state buyer.

I think the mentality is to get people to buy a full years license. The PFBC and the Commonwealth and general don't want people to come fish for a day and then not return. They want people to come and fish multiple times a year, to stay in hotel, eat at restaurants, etc. Instead of thinking of the 1-day as a bad deal, they want you to look at the full year and think you're getting a deal, which you are. The full year license is almost 15 dollars cheaper then the equivalent NYS license.

I know I make sure to return to PA to fish because I feel I want to get my moneys worth out of my yearly license.

Exactly!

It seams to me a round of golf is about the same. If you think it is too high don't fish here. Almost the same as a movie ticket and popcorn and soda.

The golf analogy makes sense, for some people, but I don't golf for several reasons and price being #1. I am a PA resident and pay for my license here every year. I have no problem with it because I get more than my money's worth out of the enjoyment here in my home state. My problem is that MD charges a reciprocal rate, meaning I have to pay the PA rate to fish out of state. I don't blame MD for doing this...they probably do it this way because PA charges an inflated rate for out of state...it's only fair to Marylanders.

The reason I started this topic is because I want to go test the waters just down the road from me in Maryland. I might only fish once yet this year. It's really not worth the license so I will hold out until next year.

I do not think it is appropriately priced, but mostly because I like to disagree with wsender. ;-)

I too have to buy non-res and ... well ... the anual aint so bad considering the great fishing PA has.

Yea, the one day is a lot which is exactly why I just bought an annual with only a little over 2 months left. Already planning second outing in under a week.

And Art, you better show up next month.

In other words, I agree with wsender on this, but I don't like it.;-)

The only real question I have is, do I really need a trout stamp for that or would the Erie stamp be enough. I bought the combo, but last year I think I only bought the Erie stamp and nobody questioned it.

FarmerDave wrote:
I do not think it is appropriately priced, but mostly because I like to disagree with wsender. ;-)

I too have to buy non-res and ... well ... the anual aint so bad considering the great fishing PA has.

Yea, the one day is a lot which is exactly why I just bought an annual with only a little over 2 months left. Already planning second outing in under a week.

The only real question I have is, do I really need a trout stamp for that or would the Erie stamp be enough. I bought the combo, but last year I think I only bought the Erie stamp and nobody questioned it.
If you are fishing the Steelhead tribs you need the Erie Stamp, I don't Believe you need a trout stamp too. at least looking at the regs you don't.

Agreed with Chaz above ^

From the F&B site:

When is a Lake Erie or Combination Trout-Salmon/Lake Erie permit required?

All anglers fishing Pennsylvania waters of Lake Erie, Presque Isle Bay and their tributaries, including waters that flow into those tributaries, are required to possess a valid Lake Erie permit or Combination Trout-Salmon/Lake Erie permit....view Lake Erie and tributary regulations for a list of main tributaries that require a permit.

COMBINATION TROUT-SALMON/LAKE ERIE PERMIT — In many cases an angler may need both a trout/salmon permit and a Lake Erie permit to fish in waters in the Erie area. Rather than purchasing these individually, a Combination Trout-Salmon/Lake Erie permit may be purchased.

I live in MD but grew up in PA. I pay the $65 for the PA license every January. I used to be a golfer so the license seems pretty cheap. I guess it's relative but for what used to cost me for one round of golf on a weekend, I can fish all year in PA. And, if I start fishing and decide, "I have other things to do", I can get out of the water and go home. Once you start a round of golf, you're pretty much stuck.

My 2 cents.

You are right, PA has more cold water fishing opportunities than MD.. But, since I am a PA transplant in MD, I have leaned to adapt. There are some good places to go. I fished the Gunpowder on Monday and got 8 browns in a couple of hours. They are native so they fight very hard. There was also a trico hatch that made life interesting.
Also, if you don't mind driving, western MD is the only place in the east where you can score a brown, rainbow, brook, and cutthroat. You can also see stuff like the grandstand on the Savage River where the Olympics (kayak) were held.

Not sure where you live but the Gunpowder has "real" fish but Big Hunting Creek and Morgan Run are pretty streams that get stocked.

I guess I am saying if you want to expand into MD, I may be able to assist.

I just read where NY is lowering their licence fees. Annual is going from $70 to $50 and daily from $15 to $10. Also none of that hogwash stamp for this and stamp for that crap.

Will be going to Georgia at the end of the month for 3 days. 3 day license is $10.

Chaz wrote:
FarmerDave wrote:

If you are fishing the Steelhead tribs you need the Erie Stamp, I don't Believe you need a trout stamp too. at least looking at the regs you don't.

That is what I was thinking too, but most of those streams are also approved trout waters.

Then again, I don't think you need a trout stamp to fish regular trout streams either after a certain date. I believe that applies to the wild (not approved) streams, but not sure. I was too lazy to look it up, so I just got the combo stamp. Besides, I might hit a couple trout streams. I also find that some WCOs don't always know all the rules and could write you up anyway. Goes to a good cause, too, ... I think.

SBecker wrote:
Will be going to Georgia at the end of the month for 3 days. 3 day license is $10.

North Carolina's was $10 for 10 days! Too bad I bought it couldn't use it....

Can't remember where I saw it, but the average cost to raise a creelable trout is like $2.50/fish plus another $0.50 on average to stock (gas, drivers, maintenance of trucks). So all told you're in the neighborhood of $3.00/trout. If an out of state guy comes in and creels his limit that's $15 of state money lost. That's just trout, he may creel other species as well. Add to that Conservation Officers salaries, stream maintenance, biological studies, etc. and it's easy to see where the PFBC is not really out of line with their out of state fees.

FarmerDave wrote:

Oh come on, you know it feels good, don't fight it!

FarmerDave wrote:

I think this is a big part of it too. PA has the best cold water fishing East of the Rockies, and is in the top 5 nationwide, IMO. Compared to its neighbors, it's supreme. I think it's easy to spoiled and think the value is low. After living in CNY and WNY, PA is incredible.

Cold water fly fishing is awful in NYS. With the exception of the Catskills and the Adirondack, NYS offers virtually nothing in what many people in PA would consider a cold water fishery. Sure we have lake run fish, but it's a zoo. People flock in from all over, catch their limits, and then leave. People shoulder to shoulder against a posted wire is no way to fish....

Fishing in PA is a privilege, and a great one. I'd kill to have a stream with 1/10th of the fish density that are in the Little Juniata.

wsender wrote:

Fishing in PA is a privilege, and a great one. I'd kill to have a stream with 1/10th of the fish density that are in the Little Juniata.

You do. A few of them.

None anywhere where I live. Migratory does not count...

I don't know of exactly where you live, but there are a few in and around the Syracuse area.

Back