Overcrowding on erie tributaries

Several years ago I could fish long stretches of Elk and see very few people during the week,now it does n't matter what day it is as it's always busy.Does n't anyone work anymore?

How many times has it been mentioned on here,and other forums,that you can beat the crowds by weekday walk ins ?
Spot burning .lol

Stop whining go fish the salt plenty of space on the beach

All you have to do is warn other fisherman when they get close to you. What you say is, Hey buddy I'am pretty new at this, so if I hook ya I don't want to here you winning......That usually helps..

Troutbum82 wrote:
Is it just me or has anyone else gave up on steelhead fishing due to the crowds.

I prefer to fish trout streams in the fall too.
Besides being able to catch fish on drys, I never have to worry about overcrowding. In fact, I rarely see another fisherman on lots of the streams that I fish now
Just a much more enjoyable experience IMO

did not read through the books everyone wrote...

first off, it's still early season, however, fish are already at mckean.

if you can't find solitude, you're full of apathy.

in late oct. last year we had untouched pods even in some semi-popular spots.

problem is, the eastside is becoming more popular.

also,

don't let anyone tell you fish don't get past some places... you'd be surprised.

if anyone is familiar with the east side, they will know this stretch and it just goes to show what one high water even can produce

PA160013.jpg

PA160026.jpg

and i'll also say this again... fish the turbulent water dude. fish in the holes are resting, not feeding. People skip these places due to the inability to land fish at ease.

PA160002.jpg

you end up having to do a quick lower of the rod to avoid branches when they run and chase them down, but all in all, the fight lasts a lot faster

PA160004.jpg

landed some hogs in water like that which was 2 ft. deep at best... also, no need for strike indicators, avoiding lining as only a few fish will group there. just keep distance, cast way above, and you'll actually feel the strike.

PA160020.jpg

we decided that we were going to boycott erie as a result of fewer stocked fish and way too many people. i can remember days in the late 90's where you could put your hiking boots on and not see many people. now you can walk half way between sterritania and follies and see tons of guys, some holes are almost shoulder to shoulder.

the first day of duck season, north of rt 80 i was blessed with spending the weekend with the inlaws. after lunch i told my stepson that we need to go for a ride...we drove 1 hour to the 16 mile, after rigging up his 7ft 20$ eagle claw, i was helping him flipping and drifting a big black stone fly pattern into about 5 or 6 freshies. it was his first time fly fishing on a creek. not long and bam he had hooked up. as fast as he set the hook it was off. i rigged up the sage and while he was still fishing i hooked one and gave him the rod. he learned the hard way that you have to let go of the reel to let the fish run so yep he lost that one too. oh well he had a blast and then after taking him out to the mouth he tried to wade his way across the lake to canada.

Fish (and salmon) used to make it regularly over the second falls on 16.
Now, they get trapped once over the first hurdle since erosion changed things up.
Used to catch them up past rt20.
I heard a fish passage is in the plans.

Hit the Erie tribs this past weekend. At our parking location, my count had twenty cars parked at 20 mile and thirty cars parked at Elk.

Ahhhh, the great outdoors!!!!

There were 24 cars at the parking lot on Elk when I rolled in at 745am.

Drove around the Eastside and counted over 70 cars from middle 20 to the mouth..

Circus is definetly in town....

24 cars at the parking lot on Elk

That's rather unspecific, and thus, unuseful. I know of 10 or more parking lots on Elk. And they range from 24 cars being normal/light, to ridiculously crowded.

If 24 cars is the only access to the section, and from there you can go up 2 miles or down 2 miles, well, that's a lot of water for those people to spread out on, and not overly crowded. If its not the only access, or else only accesses a small stream section, well, yeah, that's a circus.

I fished 20 Mile on Saturday AM. I usually avoid the weekend but I knew it was going to be a great morning. So off I went.
Only a half dozen or so cars before sun-up due to high water???
I figured everyone would headed to the smaller tribs which usually fish well early, but drop fast.
Early morning was somewhat peaceful for 20Mile on a Saturday. Guys did show up in droves later on. Lots of fish moving so that helped spread the anglers out a bit. After a while, My back had enough of this standing in one spot and fished little pockets back to the truck. Not too bad for a weekend day.
My suggestion is that if a certain creek looks borderline iffy due to high water. That's the time to hit the creek and catch it on the fall. Many people have a tendency to miss perfectly high conditions by a half or single day.

Pete and I are laughing all the way to the ramp. I fished sun. and the closest boat was 3 mile away.
Just kidding. GG

Troutbum82 wrote:
Is it just me or has anyone else gave up on steelhead fishing due to the crowds.

Yes.

pcray1231 wrote:
24 cars at the parking lot on Elk

That's rather unspecific, and thus, unuseful. I know of 10 or more parking lots on Elk. And they range from 24 cars being normal/light, to ridiculously crowded.

If 24 cars is the only access to the section, and from there you can go up 2 miles or down 2 miles, well, that's a lot of water for those people to spread out on, and not overly crowded. If its not the only access, or else only accesses a small stream section, well, yeah, that's a circus.

Thats the Elk Park Road access of the F&BC I am pretty sure....

24 is not full by any means there but alot for early am. Before the lot you could get less than 20 there AND **** of a few landowners in the process. Its alot of water down to the Conrail tubes and up to and past the Trestle. But its only a mile and a half or so before parking up or downstream is more practical.

I'd fish it with 24 cars.....

24 is not full by any means there but alot for early am. Before the lot you could get less than 20 there AND **** of a few landowners in the process. Its alot of water down to the Conrail tubes and up to and past the Trestle. But its only a mile and a half or so before parking up or downstream is more practical.

FYI
parking has been shut down at the tubes

That was the right parking lot. Just alot more folks than I had seen yet.

And I did fish it and manage a few hookups.

But there was an angler for about every 50 yards clear to the tubes.

I don't mind jumping in between others when there is room, spank a fish and move on..

Did notice about half or better of the anglers all walked by the faster water. Their mistake my gain...

bikerfish wrote:
Ever been to the Steelie JAM? I bet if they got up early enough the PAFF guys could block out several holes themselves haha!
we'll be too busy eating donuts!

My boss actually brought some to our meeting this morning. The Cinnamon buns still taste amazing, just in case your added saliva in your mouth didn't tell you that just thinking of them.

gfen wrote:
Troutbum82 wrote:

Yes.

Gfen just knows that he can't land a steelhead on a medalist reel so he doesn't break his 15 minute barrier for them......

Back