Only three flies?

adams, hares ear, bugger.

1. Frenchie / Quill nymph I made up - It's a tie
2. Al's Rat - It catches fish from PA to Wyoming, and it can be fished in every way imaginable...
3. Any kind of Scud, from weighted to unweighted

Dry Fly - Griffith's Gnat

Streamer - Yuk Bug

I'd be willing to fish just about any stream with nothing but an Olive Woolly Bugger and a Hare's Ear. I don't even care what the 3rd fly is ;-) I guess probably a scud, but I can see good arguments for a Royal Wulff or Coachman as well. I love the Rat idea as well. A stimulator, yea, you never go wrong with those. Well anyway, I would likely never need the 3rd...

Split nymph
Beadhead flashback pheasant tail
Hares ear soft hackle
EHC would be the dry

peacock and whatever hackle
partridge and whatever.
prince nymph.

if i had to cheat ,the easy way,and fish visually with a dry,i'd probably use an EHC or a wooly worm tied light enough to float,or not.

#12 Royal Wullf
# 8 Royal Wullf
#14 green caddis

shakey wrote:
peacock and whatever hackle
partridge and whatever.
prince nymph.

if i had to cheat ,the easy way,and fish visually with a dry,i'd probably use an EHC or a wooly worm tied light enough to float,or not.

Dear shakey,

I love you man! ;-)

You are as honest as the day is long, and that is a rare thing anymore.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

what a very nice and kind post.thank you so much!

Adams
Bugger
Hare's ear.

Pretty much still all I fish with the option of changing color and size (thus making them something with a different name). You could go your whole life do well with those patterns and variations.

soft hackle hare's ear green weenie olive bugger dry=small ant (I could put on a split shot and fish it wet too)

It's funny this question was asked as I was asked by a buddy this week, if I could only use one fly the rest of my life what would it be?
This is really enjoyable read.

PT
Serendipity
Black GRHE
Elk Hair Caddis or Parachute Adams

That's that!

Black Bugger
Olive Bugger
Bead Head Pheasant Tail
Parachute Adams

I have tons of patterns but I use these 90% of the time.

Polish Woven Nymph
Prince
Baron
Elk Hair Caddis

Back