New Tyer Getting a Little Frustrated ...

Many clubs have tying sessions where you can learn from the experts. I know of one in DE and one in south east PA (near where I used to live) White Clay Fly Fishers. Anyway, it's a good way to jump start your technique.

Stag check out this site www.bucksflytyers.com

Most of these are my ties. Some are Beadhead"s. (Especially the woven) I learned to tie from LouM and Beadhead. Within a couple months I was tying many of these.

A number of guys from BCTU used to tie once a month at Dave's on 611. Beadhead needs to get that started up again.

Best place to learn is where you can tie with some old pros watching over your shoulder. And old they are!

The frogs and coffee bean flies are also Beadhead's ties.

The top one on this page works for smallies and rock bass in Tyler Park.

streamer

yes, Materelli FTW. Once you learn it, sooo easy..

also, make your rats more sparse..too much dubbing.

franklin wrote:

Stag check out this site www.bucksflytyers.com

Most of these are my ties. Some are Beadhead"s. (Especially the woven) I learned to tie from LouM and Beadhead. Within a couple months I was tying many of these.

A number of guys from BCTU used to tie once a month at Dave's on 611. Beadhead needs to get that started up again.

Best place to learn is where you can tie with some old pros watching over your shoulder. And old they are!

The frogs and coffee bean flies are also Beadhead's ties.

Do the BCTU gents get together to tie anymore? (I'm assuming Dave's on 611 is Mainstream outfitters)

For my 1st month+ I’ve been trying to put 2 nights per week aside to tie. I’ve purchased numerous fly’s over the past 2 years so I’ve just been concentrating on a few that I never bought working on the basic skills. I’ve returned the 2 books I bought, for now, cause I’m liking youtube. A class where they concentrate on the basics and can answer questions right when u have’em, as u tie, while someone is looking over ur shoulder would be beneficial for me. That said ... when I sit down with a drink and tie there is something ‘romantic’ and relaxing abt it. Hoping I can get a trout to eat one of my flies @ the newbie jam next week.

Maybe we can gather the resources to have a Newbie Tier's Jam?

Dave .. there was a tying thing in Dec but I left for Florida that day and missed it.

Stags -

That was the tying jam and I ain't a gonna set down in front of those gentlemen and make an *** out of myself with my poor efforts at tying.

I was thinking along the lines of a Newbie Jam for fly-tying.

I'll make sure Andrew has PLENTY of opportunity to practice next week...You too Dave. Any specific patterns you want to see?

djs12354 wrote:
Stags -

That was the tying jam and I ain't a gonna set down in front of those gentlemen and make an *** out of myself with my poor efforts at tying.

I was thinking along the lines of a Newbie Jam for fly-tying.

JT

Any and all will be helpful!

I'll try and bring enough and varied materials for those who want to try a pattern or two...Maybe not enough to fill a fly box each, but enough to get some of the basic concepts...

djs12354 wrote:
JT

Any and all will be helpful!

Stagger,
I'm newish to tying but am starting to pick it up. If you'd like to meet up and tie a bit, I'd be happy to help...although I'm pretty new myself! I can help with the whip as well.

Back