Need advice on new reel

That Grey's is pretty nice, actually, although I'm not aware of them as a company.

In a way, I'm almost convincing myself that I could endulge myself with an entirely customized, costing way too much, Able TR.

I've got an email out right now to find out just how much it costs to have it anodized to my liking. It might come in at stupid money, but I can't imagine a simple, machined, reel won't last my lifetime and, again, become a nice keepsake for a kid.

Plus, I don't need it now, so I can afford to save for it.

FWIW, Grey's is Hardy. You'll also never hear me say anything bad about Abel reels.

as an old gunsmithy I think if your reel binds you probably should be able to fix it.

You can't go wrong with the Battenkill for the cost. I like Hardy and you can still find the Sage 502-09's on ebay.

Joe E

I just got an Orvis sales notice.Bar stock Battenkills for $100 to $ 125.FYI

I have never seen a worn out American made Pflueger Medalist they last forever, they are also mid arbor. I have a tiny 1492 with the metal cap, it probably has over 200,000 miles on it still works

I would hunt a circular line guide Pflueger 1394 or 1492

Class plus durability, put them in your will for the kids and grandkids

That is a 1492 in my avatar

http://completed.shop.ebay.com/i.html?LH_Complete=1&_nkw=pflueger%20medalist&_fln=1&_sc=1&_sop=3&_trksid=p3286.c0.m283&_rdc=1

I've been watching them, the problem is just about any used Medalist with shaped pillars is $80 to $100, give it the round guard instead of the diamonlite and it's up to around $150.

I've seen one with a metal cap, it was about the same as the round guard.

The problem I have is spending seven or eight times as much for a beat up model when I can give a new one the pfoot treatment for less, and it'll be just as functional, just not truly vintage.

Ergo, I watch eBay. Some day I'll find a classic at a yard sale for something not approaching eBay cost.

I've also almost bought a Southbend 1122, which appears to be a rebadged Medalist 1492. It's a real striking red, matter of fact, I forgot to bid on a true NiB model just today. I'm sure as functional as the 1492, but so much prettier.

those vintage medalists can command some high $$. Talk of a 1392 is some real money. I haven't even seen any listed. Can only imagine they'd go for $300 or more.

I bought a 1494 made in US, not akron but Arkansas i believe. I pimped it out. Not totally, haven't done the pillars or line guard. Wanted to replace the plastic parts first, so i got a new drag plate, drag screw, new foot and the metal cap as well as a counter weight. Very sweet reel now.

BTW, i've heard very bad things about the 1122. Everyone i've spoken to said to skip that model and go right to the 1133. Better drag system and overall better made in that same sweet color. Although i don't believe those models can be changed to LHW. This is all second hand knowledge 'cause i haven't handled any of them. BUT i do know that the 1122 doesn't have the same drag design as the 1133. The 1133's have a really cool design that's like the medalist ratchets plates on steroids.

I've only seen a few of the 1122 models up there, and they tend to go cheap... I only liked them because of that great red colouring.

My issue with the Medalists is the vintage models don't go cheap, and I just can't imagine there's that much of a difference between the ones stamped in the US and the ones stamped in China, making it quite difficult to spend 7x or more for the American made model other than snob appeal, and I won't lie, I need some snob appeal.

But, whatever. I like to spend too much. I overspent on an Orvis clicker, figuring it'll hold its value. I couldn't bring myself to drop the crazy cash a customized Abel would run me.

if u want a cheap reel go with a pfueger medalitst 1494 , only like 30 bucks , the drags is not the smoothest but it will work i have landed some big trout on one , like 20-24 " browns in deep fast water ! and i use and abuse all my stuff !!!!!!

Back