Need advice on new reel

There's a special place in Hell for everyone who snipes a classic click-pawl Orvis, Bean, or classic Pflueger reel from under me.

Once I get my reel, ebay is fair game again. ;)

I'd definitely check with cabelas....they often have a two year limit on returns...they may take an exchange. The CSR was a bad reel. My best friend had one do the same thing as you describe. The newer cabelas reels seem to be better. I have always been a fan of their prestige plus reels. They also have their new Watershed Reels on sale.....made in the USA by someone and look very much like Ross reels.

I think Im still going to get the battenkill, but I may try to return the cabelas reel as well. Wouldnt mind having a second backup reel, plus Im trying to convince a freind at work to start fly fishing, so offering him some equipement to use might help.

SO you're the one sniping all those Martin made Bean reels from me!

JK, i don't even have the money for those right now!

gfen,

I am in the market. I'll be nice and hold off for a bit. :)

We honestly have probably been bidding against each other.

Possibly, although I've been pretty slackadaisical about my approach this time out.

I don't actually need the reel, I just want the reel. Ergo, I can afford to be somewhat picky. That, combined with the lessons from the last time I played this game, has kept me pretty limited to what I'm looking at (I've barely looked at clicker CFOs, talk about inflated resale value!), and the Pflueger lineup is so long-winded, I've got a set of features I'm essentially insisting on which moves me to the head of the money class.

After checking HA's Bean Streamlight, though, I've redoubled my efforts on trying to pick one up.. Yet, there's just not alot of them on ebay.

On the other hand, we have Hardy. I'm confused by Hardy reels. People want them, desire them and crave them...but yet it seems to be the most popular of the classics on ebay. There's loads of 'em, and they're all going for, to me, obscene money. I'm curious to know if there's actually a bonafide interest in them, or if the entire market is built up around the myth of them, and in fact there's a damned warehouses full of NOS models and no one's realized it yet.

I'd certainly appreciate one of those falling into my lap at a decent price, with an agate line guard, please.

Such a huge hole in the marketplace, no one makes a quality clicker reel anymore except Pflueger. You'd think Orvis would churn out a Battenkill Heritage Edition or something. The only clicker in their lineup is a limited edition (200 units) gold CFO123.

Actually, that's not true. TFO supposedly makes one, but I haven't seen one in a shop. I'm also less than enthused because of the phrase that inevitably follows every TFO product's rousing endorsement. That phrase? "For the price." What a turn-off.

What's this has to do with Surveyor's original topic? Watch me bring 'er back round: If its not gonna kill you, pay the little more for the BBS over the cast Battenkill. It will last longer, feel better, and hopefully provide someone a momento of you long after you pass.

gefen,

Im going at lunch for the BBS II. Cant wait.

Andy

sorry, didn't mean to hijack the tread. Just wanted to state that there are a lot of undervalued vintage reels out there just because they don't have the latest disc drag systems (which most don't need anyway) and look like spinning hubcaps.

BTW, there is one other inexpensive click reel still being manufactured. The big brother of the daiwa 706/708. The daiwa lochmor. Not a fan of its looks but it has the classic hardy type click pawl drag system.

I can't figure the hardy stuff out there either. Only thing i can think of is that the same reels have been produced for so long with little updates that there are just a huge number of them out there. Kind of like the pfleugers. And people pay huge amounts of $$$ if they're made in england 'cause people get antsy about asian reels.

I use an older Hardy LRH...I also have a LRH multiplier...The drag is so smooth...You might put 2 or 3 in it, but unlike a lot of other reels the hardy's will hold their value..If you come across one that's a little beat up, grab it...they're the best for "fishing"...Best all around trout reel IMO.

update. The BBS II is currently sitting on my desk at work, while I frantically try to salavage my lunch, and whoof down some 3 bean and sausage casserole.

Congrads! If you like it I may be shopping myself. Now we need a place to break that thing in.

The BBS II will treat you well, that's a fine reel and with the sale, a great price. You could actually get the reel and spare spool for just under $150, which for a machined reel is an good value IMHO.

Congrats on your purchase.

I didn't realize the Lochmor was current production, I assumed that Daiwa wasn't doing fly stuff anymore.

I like the Hardy reels, but I don't think I like them enough to sink 3 bills into a worn one. Eh, I dunno, I'm complex when it comes to things, and can't make up my own mind.

Actually, I thought I recalled another... Abel makes a clicker, the TR (Trout Reel). $250! I think before I drop the cash on a Hardy, I'd buy a new Abel and make it my own by dropping another hundred on the anodizing. Still, that brings me right back up to Orvis limited edition levels of cash.

Edit: Or the Abel Creek line. Two quality clickers from one company. I'm surprised. And, the ACs can take a large arbor spool, too. A modernized, all-machined clicker. Neat!

Bah.

Congrats on the reel, Surv. I'm sure it'll bring you more joy than the Cabela's CSR.

Ugh. The CSR.

I bought one two years ago and never returned it. I don't have any documentation to prove it either.

I used it once and the drag got very jumpy. I got it back out last night, and it felt smooth. I'm considering taking it to NY, as it has a sinking line on it. It would be nice to have a sinker for streamers.

Any thoughts on whether or not I have a prayer of returning it? It's two years old, but has honestly only been used once.

Fortunately, I took it out last night and gave it a cleaning. It seems like it runs smoothly. I doubt it'll stay that when when I hook a salmon.

Jayl,

Its fine until it gets wet, thats when your screwed. Also, the drag is setup weird on mine. Both directions of movement tighten as you tighten down on the drag. This is not a normal thing. The retreival should be easy no matter how hard the drag. If I were you, I wouldnt put any big fish on it

Yes, but go now before they institute their even tighter return policy.

The downside is that you will likely only get the lowest possible value for it, which means if it went on clearance price, you'll get clearance price. No more.

FWIW, I've got a #1 LSR now that does duty for my 4wt. Its this reel I'm looking to replace so the LSR can go back to back up duty.

If I can get enough to get a spare spool for my loomis venture, I consider it a victory. I could put the sinking line on that.

jayL wrote:

Any thoughts on whether or not I have a prayer of returning it? It's two years old, but has honestly only been used once.
I don't know if they'll do anything without a receipt but they usually prorate it towards a store (or online) credit when its beyond the warranty.

Andy - Congratulations on your new reel !!! What color did you get - the silver or the black?

If you see some Penn reel lube in the tube, grab one. Orvis recommends it, and it'll keep that puppy working smooth for your grandkids. Just keep the lube off the teeth, and away from the drag assembly, and you're golden. A tiny drop on the spindle, one in the ratchet assembly, one on the pawl shaft, and one for the handle shaft should do it. I wash mine out with warm soapy water (Dawn) before I do this once a year.

gfen - there's another click/pawl option I forgot to tell you about - the Scientific Angler's System 1 reels. They're pretty nice, and made better than my old Streamlight. The 4/5/6 is the smallest one though. There's also this Grey's reel.......

Back