My first Scuds and Sow

sandfly wrote:
Gfen, need to know more what he was talking about, if I remember right Lee used tubing from model airplanes a few times.

1980's "Lee Wulff on Flies."

"Among my most recent innovations are the flexible flies, which I wrote about in the Jan 78 issue of Sports Afield....The flexible fly I developed is tied onto a section of plastic tubing of a type that will accept adhesives...the tubing I have found satisifactory for thiese flies may be obtained from Kearsages, Inc."

I broke out the tube kit and tubes the other day, and tried to tie on the small, hard plastic, tubes i bought but they're just big, hunky affairs of feather and crap.

Model airplane tubing is a great idea, though. I may be at a model store over lunch break, now.

yep thats the stuff, hard to get the old tubing.

Any idea on the approximate diameter of this stuff? Or, is it acceptabel to say "as small as you can get it?"

As much as I loathe nymph fishing, on the few days I get out in the dead of winter, I'm gonna have to tap trouts on the nose with a fly if I expect them to eat it, and giving myself an extra half-second while they chew on the mister softee isn't gonna hurt.

try larva lace and micro tubing they work, I also have coated some bodies with Tulip gellies in clear, its a soft chewy frabric paint. fish seem to hang on longer. mostly use it on worm patterns and larvas.

Larva lace, thinking outside the box....

I've been looking for Gellies since you posted it in a saltwater forum, but haven't run across it yet. Every otehr variation of fabrice paint BUT that one.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
LRSABecker wrote:
Yea, Ha had that at out last tying session and told me I need to get one.

It was kinda weird that it was more useful to check your hook sizes, than hackle size. As I recall, every time I told you to pick out a hackle feather, you picked out the exact size needed. You didn't miss once! Those gauges aren't an absolute necessity - you can just hold a feather barb up to the hook gap (if you know what size hook you have). :lol:

Friday OK? Maybe we'll get lucky and match the timing with your wife baking Christmas cookies - that girl is one AWESOME baker! :)

Yea they call me Ol' Hackle Dead Eye. Friday sounds good and i will tell the wife to make cookies.

LRSABecker wrote:
Yea they call me Ol' Hackle Dead Eye. Friday sounds good and i will tell the wife to make cookies.

(looks around)

S'funny, that's not what we call you.

Gfen,
Old limp hackle ???

I'll show you limp hackle, you old fart :)

I'm uncomfortable.

gfen wrote:
Alpabuck wrote:
I wouldnt bother I dont think it will make a big deal. Once they get wet the legs will bunch up and it wont look as bushy. IMO I dont think you really need the legs, they might look pretty to you and me and other fly tyers but I dont think the fish care. I tie my scuds withouts legs, tails, and scud back. Some would say "well thats not really a scud" and I guess they'd be right but the fish still eat them!

Agree, the whole point is to give the imitation of life, and the only way to do that is with lively materials that'll move in water.

Most of the junk we chuck in the water doesn't look like jack, but fish eat it because it moves, and the only things that move in water are alive, and thus food.

Agree, I think the segmentation helps also.

That Loon UV Knot Sense is nice and chewy. Been putting it on my Vladi's and scuds recently.

I just looked at that stuff Jdaddy. I was at the Evening Fly shop to pick some stuff out and i was trying to figure out what they use to tie those ooey gooey grubs that orvis advertises, but the owner said they have not figured it out yet.

just latex with a reddish brown marker

what kind of latex though? I would like to try to get some yellow of that stuff to make a butter worm pattern. I absolutely wreck shop with these the first 5 weeks. I buy 250 at a shot at 36 dollars and go through close to 750. would save a bunch of money if i could just tie them.

Attachments

• Butter.jpg
    Butter.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 3
just use cream and color with a permanent marker any color you want. I get some of mine from hospitals in the form of tourniquets. also latex gloves work too, getting hard to get anymore. I sell latex strips also. have some yellow in stock..

NO SCISSORS! Don't use scissors on scuds. That takes them from a more natural look, to a cut edge, doesn't present itself very well. This may just be an opinion of mine, but I personally think using scissors would really take away from that fly.

Back