Money problems

Rant Warning!!!

Wait a second Woly, I didn't say the fishing IS getting better. I said it has gotten better since i was a kid. There is a difference. :-D

first let me say that this isn't really aimed at you Woly. I just feel like ranting some more against the doom and gloom stuff.

If ones idea of good fishing is chasing the white trucks to find trout, then I would say things definitely have gotten worse. Oh well. Personally I think stocking less streams is a good thing.

But maybe i should put what i said earlier in perspective. I'm looking at the broad picture when I say things have gotten better when it comes to water quality in PA. Some examples. I don't think brook trout enhancement is a bad thing, and where was that idea 30 or even 10 years ago? I can name a few streams off the top of my head that now have a good population of trout that didn't when i was a kid. the PF&BC has stopped stocking Class A streams since i was a kid. Definitely a good thing for most non TAP members. I used to fish the Clarion river quite often back in the late 70s and early 80s, and although it did have a few trout and lots of SM Bass back then, I guarantee it is a lot cleaner now than it was back then. It always had an odor to it. Hard to explain. Kinda like a paper mill, but it was probably from the textile mills upstream. Go back a couple more years from that, and the stream used to change colors based on what dye the mills were using. Some days it was red, some days blue... Mother nature is an amazing thing. Stop abusing a stream, and she will clean it up eventually.

I live in Ohio now, and we all know about the Cuyahoga catching fire as recently as 1969. But it wasn't a freak occurrence. It also caught fire in 1868, 1883, 1887, 1912, 1922, 1936, 1941, 1948, 1952 and 1961 (although the 61 fire is not noted in many sources because it was small). The 1952 fire was the worst, but the 69 fire is the most infamous and finally brought it to nationwide attention. Here is an August 1, 1969 quote from Time.

"Some River! Chocolate-brown, oily, bubbling with subsurface gases, it oozes rather than flows. "Anyone who falls into the Cuyahoga does not drown," Cleveland's citizens joke grimly. "He decays". . . The Federal Water Pollution Control Administration dryly notes: "The lower Cuyahoga has no visible signs of life, not even low forms such as leeches and sludge worms that usually thrive on wastes." It is also -- literally -- a fire hazard."

Now it isn't a half bad unstocked steelhead and smallmouth stream. It is good enough for Steelhead that some people would get upset by me putting that in a public forum. Good Pike fishing in some of the headwaters too, but don't tell anyone i said that.

How about the Mon in Pittsburgh. It is obviously better than it was 50 years ago.

Are you from SEPA? How does the Surekill compare to what it was 50 years ago? (I lived in south Jersey for a brief time)

Does anyone think I would state that things are getting better if I couldn't back it up?

Listen, optimism has nothing to do with it. I just don't go for the doom and gloom scare tactics. Some people take that as I am disagreeing, but it is just that I'm smart enough to see through that crap. Those tactics are exactly why some people are labeled wacko tree huggers, etc. Water quality is improving in most of PA, and before anyone jumps all over this and accuses me of being complacent, I don't think we should just sit on our butts and hope it continues either. I'm all for keeping that trend going, but I feel that outright lies and false scare tactics are ineffective and destroy the credibility of the people doing it. When I call them out on it, they predictably attack me and try to stuff me in a pigeon hole along with Rush Limbaugh. Not that I care, but why do some people insist on labeling everyone. It’s stupid! Besides, we both can’t fit, and I don’t do drugs. :-D

Shortages of water will be the next great hurdle in parts of PA, and that is a man made problem.

Water quality certainly is getting worse short term in some areas (e.g. Sus and Potomac), but in most of the state it has actually gotten better.

And by the way, isn't Bush pushing for opening our southern border? Don't just lame that one on just the Liberals. Big business wants it too.

It's a messed up world we live in right now.

End Rant Warning.

The definition of a pessimist is an optimist with experience.

The Surekill and the Manatawny are better than they were ten years ago. Now there are no floating or subsurface "things" going by and there are lots of fish in a large variety. Now if we can only get the water levels to stop bouncing up and down so much...

mediclimber,
i like what you had to say. about the steel, why is it that it is cheaper to take our scrap steel, send it over seas, refurbish it into new product and send it back ?
(uncle sam and his tax cuts on foreign trade?)
either way, were robbing our citizens of modest wages and pensions.
bottom line, i believe americans should be entitled to these wages and pensions.
hard work builds character, it built america.
o'yeah, about kids catching turles. we need to get rid of these video games.

Well, in our infinite wisdom, after we nuked them back to the sone age we rebuilt their countries, taught them the latest technologies and supplied the equipment to use said technologies all for the low low price of free. And on top of that we give them tax breaks at every opportunity. Seems we as Americans just can't stand defeating another country in a war and letting them fend for themselves afterwards. I know what you're saying. I've been a paramedic for the past thirty years and now can't get a job with benefits let alone forty hours a week. It's a crying shame that people like me get called to duty after the defecation hits the rotating oscillator. I spent three weeks at the World Trade Center right after 9-11 and now I'm too over qualified to make a decent living. It's almost impossible to loose ten bucks an hour and not feel it every week. And we don't need to discuss the health issues each and every one of us now has that was there for more than a few days. We're still trying to find out who is going to cover those medical bills.

thats very commendable (i hope i spelled that right) work youve done at ground zero, MEDI. sorry to hear about the health issues your facing and good luck with that situation. god bless the working class!

Dear mnem11,

I hear what you are saying dude.

I was a country boy raised in the wilds of Lower Bucks County right off of Exit 28 of the Turnpike.

I learned a lot from my late buddy Richie and his Dad from Brookhaven. They, meaning Richie mostly, were just a bunch of city kids out looking for a good time that I happened to run into through my brother.

They built a fine deer/fishing camp in Clinton County that was comprised of nothing but people that met at the bar after work when they left Scott Paper, or Boeing, or Sun Ship.

Those were the days my friend.

Is LaSpada's still around on Rte 352 between Chester and Brookhaven? If so get yourself a steak sandwich or hoagie on me.

I'm still crying over DeCo's in Claymont, DE going away.

If I had to chose between trout fishing or DeCo's it wouldn't be a contest!

Be good dude!

Regards,
Tim Murphy

tim,
you mentioned scott paper and boeing, they are both pretty much in my back yard.
a fishing/hunting camp is a dream of mine(eventhough i dont hunt)...man that would be great. the problem is getting together with people you can trust.
i really dont venture into the chester/brookhaven area, but i have heard of laspadas. good things at that. they may have even moved or possibly opened up another store because the name is familiar, ill have to keap an eye out.

p.s. the dead bear is a nice touch
take it easy,
mark

Dear mnem11,

Please don't take this the wrong way but to me you seem like a youngster?

If you have two or three people you trust that want to go together on a Camp somewhere then just do it dude. What do you have to lose?

Don't get to be old and wish you did something with your buddy's. Trust me when I say those thoughts just flat out suck.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Chester was where the kids from Wilmington went to get served from 15 on.The cops would make a big production out of coming in the front so the barmaids could chase us out of the back.

i hear you tim, im 30 with 2 young ones and mortgage. i dont know if thats young to you or what? im confident i could hold up my end but not all of my friends are into the cabin thing.

maybe i am young, but at the same time, this is the oldest ive ever been.

maybe ill go fishing tomarrow, maybe ridley, for now im going to watch the flyers. go orange and black.

chester is where i dont stop, at the stop signs, especially at night.

Dear mnem11,

If you would think about having an old 47 year old fart in your Camp I can assure you that my money is good.

I'd run with a DELCO boy any day and twice on Sunday.

Take care of the Missus and the youngin's but if you get an urge to get a Camp please look me up.

Regfards,
Tim Murphy :)

LaSpada's is still there and their steaks are great! Found that little gem while building a new dorm at Widener. Same with Trio's.

trios is great. great bread, great meat and great salads, made with real mayo. not that mayo alternative that last for a week(or however long that stuff lasts).good beer selection too.

Back