Light Cured Adhesives

I have been using the Deer Creek Diamond Hard and Diamond thin and have been very happy with it. However, I am on their pro team so I am a bit biased on the subject. That being said, I haven't used any other brands. I did see a simple test done on a blog where a drop of the various brands was put on paper, cured, then had loose marabou fibers dropped on them. Not very scientific but the Deer Creek resin had the least amount of fibers attached after the loose fibers were shaken off. It seems to me that all the brands will have a bit of tackiness after curing, some more than others. Also regardless of brand, these types of resins can really speed up part of the tying process, you don't need a fly turner, and their only limitation is our imagination.

whheff wrote:
I bought my light on Amazon. UV spectrum is not much different from one light to the other UV is UV.
I agree with DUB about the tacky feel on some products. I used the knot sense and it was tacky too.
Bug Bond thick is not tacky but I haven't used anything other than these 2 products.
Google clear cure goo and watch their video on each product to see which on would be best for you.
Bill

Hey Bill I have to kindly disagree here...some adhesives react at different frequencies.
I have the tuffleye stuff...which I picked up on impulse without realizing there are cheaper options. So I bought a syringe of CCG and it won't cure at all with the Tuffleye light. I add to go the natural route and leave them in sunlight.
If there another gathering/Jam maybe we could all bring our glues and UV lights to see what works together...I know I'll be buying more glue but would rather not buy another light...

There is a reason for the tackiness and that is so additional layers will adhere. Which is necessary for multi layer flies like epoxies for salt but could be a pain if you're just doing a single layer like for a nymph wing case...if that's you're plan then you might try the hard as nails as mentioned by Afish

Phil, I was talking to Bop Pop in lancaster last year and he explained the same thing to me about the tuffleye. It's a different light on the spectrum (blue?) and it would make sense that it's light is matched up to react optimally w/ that glue.

He also explained how much safer the tuffleye light was for this same reason. I guess since it isn't quite the same as UV? I'm not sure how much I buy the safety part though. Comparing to how much time people spend tanning or under the sun in general, I wont be losing sleep over it.

afishinado wrote:
"Epoxy" type flies for SW are one thing, but just for a coating on a nymph wing case I just use Sally Hansens Hard as Nails. Easy to use, cheap, and finishes off a nymph wing case with a hard, shiny and durable finish. HTH.

Copper Johns look so much better with epoxy than they do with SH. Especially when you add some of the glitter powder to the epoxy before curing.

You can find allot of good lights on Ebay for cheap I bought this one a few months back it works so well you can see smoke coming off the CCG when it you put the light on it .
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-WF-501B-UltraFire-Flashlight-375NM-UV-Ultra-Violet-Blacklight-Torch-18650-/170856532430?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item27c7d7c9ce

PhilC wrote:
whheff wrote:
I bought my light on Amazon. UV spectrum is not much different from one light to the other UV is UV.
I agree with DUB about the tacky feel on some products. I used the knot sense and it was tacky too.
Bug Bond thick is not tacky but I haven't used anything other than these 2 products.
Google clear cure goo and watch their video on each product to see which on would be best for you.
Bill

If there another gathering/Jam maybe we could all bring our glues and UV lights to see what works together...I know I'll be buying more glue but would rather not buy another light...

That would be good. I did have my Bug Bond at HA's last event. The light I have works with Bug Bond and Loon UV Knot Sence. It would be interesting to see how it would work on other stuff. I am going to get some CCG Hydro soon so I will see how it work with that stuff.
Bill

So when you say still tacky when cured are we talking leave a slight finger print when touched, or kinda sticks to the table when you lay it down tacky? I just looked at the loon brand of this stuff a couple of weeks ago I've been toying with the idea of maybe trying it. Really glad this discussion came up, cause I'm clueless about the stuff.

lv2nymph wrote:
So when you say still tacky when cured are we talking leave a slight finger print when touched, or kinda sticks to the table when you lay it down tacky?

It won't leave a finger print but if you drop it in your trimming bag, it will stick to the thread and feather trimmings. It can be washed off with water to get the fly clean again.
Some products say you can put Sally Hansons' over it.
It is hard to pick one of these products because there are so many offers and ways to apply it. Some are cheap and some are very expensive. The 2 main products are Bug Bond and Clear Cure Goo. If you are going to buy any UV epoxy, I would choose between these two. They have good info on there sights and offered at many places.
My 2 cents. :)
Bill

Fredrick wrote:
You can find allot of good lights on Ebay for cheap I bought this one a few months back it works so well you can see smoke coming off the CCG when it you put the light on it .
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-WF-501B-UltraFire-Flashlight-375NM-UV-Ultra-Violet-Blacklight-Torch-18650-/170856532430?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item27c7d7c9ce

Thanks for the link, I bought the version that came with 2 rechargeable batteries and charger. Man does it cure the CCG fast. Pretty sure it is the same light as the new blue CCG pro light.

here is a comparison from a friend of mine on his blog
I am using the loon products.

http://www.utahsflycorner.com/2011/08/uv-resins-review.html

Back