King of the Stream

lestrout - it was a size 16 bead head with a small marabou tail, brown scud dubbing body with partridge soft hackle.

Beautiful fish, is the reddish hue on the adipose fin and tail a wild brown characteristic?

I caught one last week that had bright red on the adipose fin.

Any guess as to how long the fish was? Thats a beautiful little stream and very nice brown! Definitely a fish to be proud of!

What a TOAD! So jealous... Congrats!

Bigjohn - I didn't get an exact measurement, but based on its proportion to my rod, and having gone back and done some measurements later, my best guess is somewhere around 24-25 inches.

Klingy,

Congrats! That is an awesome brownie. Definitely one that will stick with you forever in your "great fishing moments" memory bank.

klingy wrote:
Bigjohn - I didn't get an exact measurement, but based on its proportion to my rod, and having gone back and done some measurements later, my best guess is somewhere around 24-25 inches.

Yup for a stream like that especially thats a beast! Amazing on a small stream getting a trout that big! Definitely a wild fish of a lifetime on a PA stream right there!

SO, did you get home in time? or where you in trouble??haha

Ha. Not in trouble - She's pretty good about understanding my addiction.

klingy wrote:

Check your ruler. Your reel is a Fly Weight, 2.5" diameter.
Your fish is approximiately 6 reels long.

Fudge to the high side to make up for the fact that the 2.5" diameter probably doesn't include the actual reel cage, which maybe adds another quarter inch or so.

Very nice fish and such a cool feeling to end a day like that.

gfen,
Thanks for taking the time to double check my measurement. Yeah, it wasn't perfect by any means, but a rough guess. It's kind of tough to tell, but the fish was really bent over in those pics. I laid it out against my rod I marked it mentally against where the letters on the logo ended and where the first guide is placed. Was it 15 inches? 20 inches? 37 inches? Don't know exactly, but I don't really care that much either.
klingy

gfen wrote:
klingy wrote:

Check your ruler. Your reel is a Fly Weight, 2.5" diameter.
Your fish is approximiately 6 reels long.

Fudge to the high side to make up for the fact that the 2.5" diameter probably doesn't include the actual reel cage, which maybe adds another quarter inch or so.

Holy hell, thats a fish of a lifetime from that stream. Congrats man.

klingy wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to double check my measurement. Yeah, it wasn't perfect by any means, but a rough guess. It's kind of tough to tell, but the fish was really bent over in those pics. I laid it out against my rod I marked it mentally against where the letters on the logo ended and where the first guide is placed. Was it 15 inches? 20 inches? 37 inches? Don't know exactly, but I don't really care that much either.

You're welcome.

It was certainly bigger than 15", and less than 20". The reel is a wonderful guideline, it was very prodigious thinking to keep it in the frame so you can get it into line for a benchmark.

Its also a terriffically fat fish, I'm sure its girth adds to the impressiveness. Don't get me wrong, I'd post hero shots and be very proud of it, too, but its good to have perspective.

Back