Is it me?

Stags,
I couldn't tell from your post if you were actually fishing where the other guy was, or if you were just walking up.
If you were actually fishing across from him, you were at fault.
If you were just talking to him, without looking like you were even getting ready to cast, he was an ***.
I ran into the same thing on Saturday. I told the guy who walked up 15 feet upstream and got ready to cast into the run I was working that I'm was new at this and wasn't very good at casting and that the wind wasn't going to help. I guess he believed me when he heard my line zipping by him. He left.

Every time I encounter another fisherman I ask which direction they are heading. Now on a crowded stream that may not be very helpful. I'd chalk it up to the guy being a tool and that you wouldn't have a beer with him anyway.

One of the main reasons why I enjoy fishing is it gives me a chance to get away from "it all"....even if it's for just a couple of hours.

"It all" is the hustle and bustle of traffic jams and people cutting you off on the road. The "beat the clock" and "follow the rules" and "make your numbers" thing at work. The cacophony EM's, IM's, VM's beeping, ringing and popping up on your phone and computer. Not to mention the "honey do" list waiting for you to tackle at home. :roll:

I really don't mind sharing the stream with other anglers, but when a day on the water becomes more of an aggravation than a pleasure, than it's time to find a less traveled, less fished place.

Catching a few fish in peaceful surroundings is much better than catching a whole bunch of fish in the combat zone, at least for me, anyway.

Don't get mad....get moving. There are plenty of decent places to fish that aren't that crowded. It's up to you to get out there and find them.

Clearly his actions were a bad reaction to his feelings that you were encroaching on his space. Maybe you were, maybe you weren't, it is hard to tell from your description.

I have gotten snotty with people who have encroached on my space, but never took it out on a trout.

A lesson learned: always keep your distance when practical, or inquire first whether your proximity is encroaching on his effort at quiet enjoyment of a particular space.

Why I don't go to the LL, there's always a bunch of jack saa there
and strange stuff going on. I look for the places above and below the FF section, because I've seen so much crap go on over the years, that I can't take it anymore.
That being said, it isn't much better in the open water. I don't know what the guys motivation was, but it was poor behavior.

blueheron wrote:
" show him I'm packing" wow brilliant. Let's get into a gun fight.

Yeah, that response seems to have been lost in the debate on whether or not Stagger was crowding the guy that tossed the fish. I cringed when I read it. Talk about a dangerous over reaction.

McSneek wrote:
blueheron wrote:
" show him I'm packing" wow brilliant. Let's get into a gun fight.

Yeah, that response seems to have been lost....

And should have remained so. Too late.

Chaz wrote:

I don't know what the guys motivation was, but it was poor behavior.
And Chaz summed it up in one sentence.

I really don’t think I was crowding him but etiquette could be in the eye of the fisher. I haven't had any issues with anyone in the 2 yrs I've fished .... and I fish popular spots within 60 miles of Philly. That said, I’m far from perfect and/or maybe he did perceive me as crowding (per mcwill I was not directly across from him) .….. still a schmuck move chucking a fish especially in a manner that Albert Ringling would be proud.

FI wrote:

Stagger,
From what you've described...it definitely wasn't you.
The guy was a jerk. (And perhaps not sober.)

Never thought about the drinking angle but I should’ve. Could’ve made a wise-*** comment to get his blood boiling …. maybe he would’ve tried to cross down stream to come after me and gone for a ‘swim’.

HA wrote:

Next time you go there, gimme a call, and I'll hook you up.....

Yea today I was out of my ‘element’ as I went outside Heritage section and down. 17 miles is a lot and will take u up on that.

FDave wrote:

Stag, that was me.
Should’ve realized it by his smell and pissed off look on his face .... didn't realize u left us to chuck bait????

KeithS wrote:

Stags,
I couldn't tell from your post if you were actually fishing where the other guy was, or if you were just walking up.
If you were actually fishing across from him, you were at fault.
If you were just talking to him, without looking like you were even getting ready to cast, he was an ***.

Keith ..
- Not directly across … I’m gonna guess abt 30 yrds down + the width (wide part of the stream)
- Even if I was at fault take it out on me
- I was fishing but was there for a short while b4 he did what he did.
- Anyway I agree with .... he was an *** in his reaction

30 yards downstream is a whole flyline length. you should have been in the clear.

He could have tossed the fish on the bank behind him and said, "he's all yours". So the bright side is - the trout went back in the water to live another day. The only difference is sore mouth and sore side.

Get over it.

Stagger_Lee wrote:

Should’ve realized it by his smell and pissed off look on his face .... didn't realize u left us to chuck bait????

I've been told I look pissed off most of the time, but thought it got better after fixing my teeth.

Why would I ever give up baiting in the first place? I likely have mastered it.

;-)

Good grief, GUYS HE WAS NOT CROWDING THE GUY. HE WAS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THESTREAM.!?*&$**

I feel like this happened at the kiddie pool. The wallers seem to get sensitive sometimes. I love the LL but my favorite sections are not in tge Heritage section.

Chaz wrote:
Good grief, GUYS HE WAS NOT CROWDING THE GUY. HE WAS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THESTREAM.!?*&$**

It must be a crowded stream since all these people saw the incident.

Foxgap239 wrote:
Thank God for remote brookie streams. At least the wild creatures out there give you a wide berth, well at least most of them, right Jeff?. :roll:

I think the raccoons are very polite most of the time :-D
lol

Stagger_Lee wrote:

Would that annoy anyone else or did I just internally overreact?
Kush:
Your 1st question: It wouldn't annoy me really. I've seen a lot of things... It's sad that he would treat the fish that way thou. I think the guy was just trying to be funny in his own way.

Your 2nd question:
If it annoyed you than you didn't overreact now did you.

One reason I fly fish to get away from the worries. I want to be outdoors and I just try not to let the little things bother me.

At least you didn't have people sending their dogs in near where you were fishing. That's happened to me 4 times on that stretch in 2 years. But it is a park so I just let them go.

Aducker If I'm not mistaken, I believe that anywhere in the Allentown Park system, people are required to keep dogs on a leash. I know for certain that some areas are posted that way. Just ask them if they're aware of the leash rule. When I've done this, some just aren't aware and will leash their dog. More often than not I just get some kind of a wise-a.. answer and they just let the dog run. Very prevalent problem up there though. Will probably look up the number of the park authority and report future incidents.

bad stream etiquette can make for a bad fishing outing although it should never ruin your day, this guy was obviously a jerk. I would have moved spots as soon as I had the chance.

Back