In Search of Hemingway's Two Hearted River

His short stories were much better than his books IMHO, though for who the bells toll was good. His fame is based more on his life than his writing.

I prefer John Steinbeck and Haig Brown, me

The Big Two Hearted River is a two parter and was published relatively early in Hemmingway's life. And he lost a fish the fish of a lifetime. Obviously.

you will find that a lot of the big craft brew folks derive their names from fly fishing, travesties, water quality, etc.

and hemmingway's live is >>>>> than awesome.

Chaz wrote:

Dave, Everything I've read is that they just weren't there in the lower penisula, but it would surprise me if they were migrants to some rivers in the Lower Penisula, there were slaters there. Maybe they didn't consider them the same fish.

Yea, I'm finding that too, but still finding it hard to believe. All those lakes are interconnected with no physical berrior between them (until you get to Erie/Ontario. Superior had coasters, and I have read that lake Erie did too. Brook trout are native to Wisconsin (left side of lake Michigan) as well as the north and east sides of the other great lakes. Of course the ones in Wisconsin could have been restricted to Mississippi drainage.

Plus, the brook trout is the state fish of Michigan.

BTW, I did see one map that shows brook trout were native to the northern most part of the lower P, but I don't feel like looking it up again. I don't see it as being all that important, and I believe I did state it was my opinion and I have no problem leaving it at that.

geebee wrote:
... His fame is based more on his life than his writing...

I wholeheartedly disagree with that statement.

His lifestyle was "famous" because of the tremendous success he had as a writer.

Back