I miss fly fishing

Hey Jack:

I just came across your post; I hope you're doing well. As everyone else has said, I think that you should get out and fish if you can. I still manage to fly-fish from time to time, even down here. It still puts me in a better mind-state afterwards, just like it did in PA..

If you want to talk, just send me a PM; take care.

gfen wrote:
I am using my 11,000th poast to write this word to you:

Tenkahdah.

Acknowledged power of 11,000.

Well I guess this explains where Goodfortune has been. You are in Gods dongle which has water on all sides for salt water fishing and amazing LMB opportunities so I hope you are getting after them!

I developed this many years ago based on something another fly fisher crafted. This thread reminded me of the thoughts I had penned. I pull it up and read every once in awhile... Maybe some of you can relate.. Bill A

FLYFISHING

When I was young I earned a degree in Wild Life Technology because I loved the outdoors with an innate and intense passion. Since then my life has changed dramatically and time has slipped by almost without my notice. I am consumed by the pressing tasks of daily obligations. The world I live in is consistently stressful but ultimately rewarding. Unconditional professionalism is an unspoken prerequisite. Failure is simply not an option. The weak or uncommitted are quickly dismissed. Every day is a tremendous challenge. I often long for a more simple life but duty demands more. This is why I fly fish.

I stand at the edge of the Yellow Breeches with A Bamboo Fly Rod in hand. These are precious minutes. I can feel them slipping away with an anxious sense of urgency. I consciously remind myself to relax and slow down. This, of all things, is not a competition but rather an art, a genuine exercise in grace, an uncorrupted truth in a world of compromise. Somehow fly fishing with a Bamboo Rod makes this easier than I would expect. I inhale deeply and try my best to release it slowly. An Osprey soars overhead, so majestic and peaceful fishing just like I am. Newly sprouted leaves tremble in the cool morning breeze. The river flows quietly by me.

By nature the river is what it is -- timeless, unceasing, powerful, yielding, and singularly beautiful in every respect. I let go of all my daily concerns and try to feel the river in my heart. The river reciprocates by washing away all my worries. Nothing else matters but the moment and the beauty and the grace as the rod loads and unloads under the weight of the line. This fly rod and this creek are part of my being. The cast unrolls in a graceful arc that is by itself a satisfying act of beauty, terminating with precious few moments as the fly drifts perfectly suspended in the fragile interface between air and water. A trout rises to take the fly and my heart leaps from my chest as I set the hook. Nothing else matters. Life has been simplified. I am renewed.

I fly fish because I need that periodic connection with things that are pure and graceful and beautiful in both their complexity and their simplicity.

I fly fish, therefore I am.

Bill

Very nice Bill. I enjoyed that.

Well said Bill. I enjoyed reading your post.

Hi Jack

I'm in thew same boat as you, just not for the same reason. I have only fished a few times the last couple of years, and it's killing me! My problem is my health, I just can't get it together, it's just one thing after another. After fishing three or for times a week, sometimes more.

I hope both of us get it to get back into it next year. My self I'm going to try like hell, to fish next year. I'm 70 years old by I know guys older then me who are still fishing.

I hope you do better next!

Good luck!

Paul G

I most certainly fal under the Bum category i have lost so many things including a wife i could cry...........but i don't , i go fishing instead!!!!!!

Back