I miss fly fishing

The reality is that life sucks. I have the idealic home, a loving wife, a wonderful kid, and I love it all. But I go to work, come home, and do the same dang thing all the time. There's a standing list of crap that needs done. Nomatter how cute my kid is and how much I love him, after an hour or two I'm just frustrated.

I do the best I can with it.

But I came to the realization that if all I did was stuff I was "supposed" to do, well, life would be REALLY boring. I mean, I'd have everything that matters most to me. But that doesn't get my blood pumping. And I need to have my blood pumping to make the most of it.

Fishing is "me" time. Nothing more, nothing less. It's time I steal away from everything else for me to be happy. I don't know if it fills the tank as in refreshing my sole, like afish said. I don't think I work like that. But I'm passionate about it, and an outing does re-invigorate my passion, and thus make me look forward to the NEXT outing that much more. I think that's it for me. I always need something on the horizon to get amped up about. Then all the every day crap just becomes a means to an end. Somehow I work better that way.

Kind of like sex for a teenager. It's not ultimately the most important thing in life, or even close to it. But it's what instinct makes you drive towards. You think about it non-stop, and try to scheme ways to get it. And to achieve it, you end up doing all the things that get you what does really matter in life. Love, kids, enough success to be secure, etc.

Jack, feeling your pain. I've made it out only a handful of times this year. My job has become so demanding that after 25 years running the show I'm getting out. My family needs to have me involved in their lives and I need to spend time pursuing life outside of my current job. Good luck finding a balance.

JackM wrote:
Really, I do. For about 2 years, I have fished very rarely. And I miss it.

I envy you all when I read of your adventures astream.

Did I mention I miss it?

I could go right now. I mean it is possible. But there are other more important things to do. So,...

Is fly fishing just for folks with nothing more important to do? Or does it let you do important things, after you have taken the time to go fly fishing?

Please add your thoughts.
You spend too much time on this message board!

pcray1231 wrote:
The reality is that life sucks. I have the idealic home, a loving wife, a wonderful kid, and I love it all. But I go to work, come home, and do the same dang thing all the time. There's a standing list of crap that needs done. Nomatter how cute my kid is and how much I love him, after an hour or two I'm just frustrated.

I hear you, dude. I love my wife and daughters dearily, but I need an escape. My wife asked me about this the other day. If you're not careful, it can come across as if you don't want to spend time with your family. I explained to her, "I work in an office with all women all day. I come home to a household where even the damn dog is a woman! I need to get into the woods and get away from the estrogen!"

AndyP wrote:
Jack, feeling your pain. I've made it out only a handful of times this year. My job has become so demanding that after 25 years running the show I'm getting out. My family needs to have me involved in their lives and I need to spend time pursuing life outside of my current job. Good luck finding a balance.

+1

It's all about finding the proper balance, which can be different for every person. Before I changed jobs, I fished because I wanted to escape the stress of the work world. But when you are on the stream and your mind isn't clear and unmuddled, that says that the work side had invaded too far. I don't think that I fish any more now than I did a year ago but I fish with a mind that is not invaded with work pressures. How much we fish and the value we put on it depends where our priorities are. Again, there is not necessarily a right answer to this as someone else's priorities may not be my own and vice versa. And fishing (or not) may not be the root cause of whatever may be going on. But unless you are abandoning other obligations, I don't think fishing hurts :)

I'm right there with you Jack. I haven't fished much in the past few years due to my growing family. I miss it, but I know it's only temporary until I can get out a bit more. I love playing with my kids, watching them grow and learn and being with them but I still yearn to be on a stream. I know it's only temporary but I know what you're saying. Did some fly fishing for panfish with my daughter this year and was some of the best times I've ever had fishing. Can't wait till my boys are also big enough to take out.

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies and the other as well. :cool:

I couldn't imagine a world without fly fishing two years ago, nor can I imagine it now-- forever. It is certainly temporary, but it still pains me deeply.

Other than reading and living vicariously here, I can hardly remember what fly fishing is.

I find that the more stressful my life gets, the more time I spend on the water. College really puts a toll on me sometimes, but nothing makes me feel better than some stream time. It also helps that PSU couldn't be in a better location for trout fishing.

Seriously, some mornings (like today), I feel like I can't even think straight until I've hit the stream. Only one cure for that!

There you go Jack, Tloomis has your solution, get more stress in your life so you can fish more. JK
It all depends on what stage of life you are in. My daughter is 13 and my son is nine, she figure skates and he plays hockey. They are at an age where they are pretty self sufficient except for transportation and such. If you're kids are toddlers or newborns it makes it more difficult to find time. If you are retired and kids are grown then its a little easier. If you are dead then you wont be fishing because you won't have any more stress. Trying to find a balance is the key to finding happiness and joy, fish on Mr. Miyagi

JackM wrote:
Thanks for all the thoughtful replies and the other as well. :cool:

I couldn't imagine a world without fly fishing two years ago, nor can I imagine it now-- forever. It is certainly temporary, but it still pains me deeply.

Other than reading and living vicariously here, I can hardly remember what fly fishing is.

Go fish.

I am using my 11,000th poast to write this word to you:

Tenkahdah.

Someone else said it first, but I will second. Just go! Best fishing advice I ever received.

There is always time to do whatever you want to do in life if you spend less time convincing yourself you never have any time at all.

Jack,
I'm sure you've got a lot of job responsibilities. But, really, you ought to make time to get out. Just don't visit "my" favorite streams. ;-) (Just kidding about that last part, you know.)

Like fine wine. I don't have it often, but when I do, I savor every bit of it.

Is fly fishing just for folks with nothing more important to do? Or does it let you do important things, after you have taken the time to go fly fishing?

Yes, but everyone's definition of "important" is different.

Is fly fishing more or less important than watching a football game?

Is fly fishing more or less important than watching your child being born?

Is fly fishing more or less important than helping your kids with homework?

Is fly fishing more or less important than sitting in a bar?

Is fly fishing more or less important than going to your job?

Is fly fishing more or less important than laying on the couch and watching MTV?

Jack M.....

A little late responding on this thread......but I can't remember why or what I've been doing.

However if you asked me what my last day on the water was like I could give you a play by play including weather, how many misses, short strikes, flies used, catches, how many times each fish jumped, and how violent the takes were....

Just saying that if one activity is so impactful as to burn into my brain all of the details surrounding it, I think that may be what I would want to make sure I stay involved in...

As I see it, when I am well on in years and cannot do this activity any more, (Fly Fishing), I want to make sure that I at least have the DVR in my brain loaded with memorable occasions, otherwise old age can be a very boring proposition....

pcray1231 wrote:

I do the best I can with it.

But I came to the realization that if all I did was stuff I was "supposed" to do, well, life would be REALLY boring. I mean, I'd have everything that matters most to me. But that doesn't get my blood pumping. And I need to have my blood pumping to make the most of it.

Fishing is "me" time. Nothing more, nothing less. It's time I steal away from everything else for me to be happy. I don't know if it fills the tank as in refreshing my sole, like afish said. I don't think I work like that. But I'm passionate about it, and an outing does re-invigorate my passion, and thus make me look forward to the NEXT outing that much more. I think that's it for me. I always need something on the horizon to get amped up about. Then all the every day crap just becomes a means to an end. Somehow I work better that way.

Kind of like sex for a teenager. It's not ultimately the most important thing in life, or even close to it. But it's what instinct makes you drive towards. You think about it non-stop, and try to scheme ways to get it. And to achieve it, you end up doing all the things that get you what does really matter in life. Love, kids, enough success to be secure, etc.

Pat this is the first post I ever read of yours I actually understood.

Back