how many fish can you catch?

i was just curious when reading someone saying they hammered em if they meant 15 or 80.

I would say it depends on the number of fish in the stream, conditions (weather / time of year), and if one is fishing dries or nymphs or streamers. For me, if I'm fishing dries and I'm having consistant rises to my fly, I'm a happy fisherman even if I'm not landing the fish. I think dry fly fishing is more entertaining than nymphing.

On Spring Creek, I would say slaying them would be 20 every 3-4 hours for example.

I do keep a very detailed log, but it's done with the intention of predicting better future outings. I record the date, hours fished, # of fish caught, and water gauge readings and have an elaborate set of spreadsheets to track the data - really gets the wife excited if you know what I mean ;-)

Basically I know that when water flows are X for stream Y, I average Z amount of trout per hour. Again the time of year impacts this. More importantly tracking water flows lets me know when the stream is too low to fish or too high and dangerous to fish when I'm planning a trip.

I really enjoy the stat piece of fishing as well - that's the accountant in me. I don't track #'s for glory and bragging, this is fishing after all.

I'm waiting for the 100 fish in one day on the Delaware. Then I'm calling bs.

i was just curious when reading someone saying they hammered em if they meant 15 or 80.

I know you were, but there's not a straightforward answer.

I don't know of any situations where 80 is a bad day. But there are situations where it's merely a good day, and 15 would be a terrible day.

And there are other situations where 80 is a pipe dream to laugh at. 5 might be considered a good day, and 15 is really hammering them.

And everything in between. There are even situations where if I get 2 or 3 I would say I did well.

When I'm fishing it seems as though I can't count past 5 or so. Anything past that I start to lose track which makes me happy.

Coty, I'm probably pretty accurate up to 15-20 or so. Beyond that, it's an estimate. You count them in bunches.

You get to 15 or so and stop counting. An hour later, you stop to estimate your total. I had 15, then I got 1 in that hole, 2 in the next one, then 4 between X and Y, then I think it was 3 more between Y and here. So I must be at 25 or so. An hour later you do it again.

And on a high number day, rarely do I have an exact count at the end. It's always "60ish" or something along those lines, which realistically means plus or minus 5, with the error bar growing as the total climbs.

krayfish wrote:
I'm waiting for the 100 fish in one day on the Delaware. Then I'm calling bs.

I did it with a cast net, and they were all shiners.

I hear ya. I always just say I caught a pile of fish. I have tried to count before though. Squatch and I had a friendly competition last year, although not on purpose. But it can be fun, especially if you're catching a pile of fish.

On any stream when I'm fishing all day and I'm catching fish on every other cast it's a very good day, but there are times, especially opening day where if I caught more then 10 it would be a very good day.
Any day is a good day when you're out fishing, unless you fall and get hurt.

have no idea, don't really count, don't really care.

I catch all of them!!!
You should be asking how many do you catch.
If you can't count past five go back to math class.
The most I've done in a two hour stretch is 12. That was good enough for my fix and I stopped.
:hammer:

Doesn't it drive you craze when people keep changing their comments?

Not that I can't count past five. Just that I don't pay attention. I have no problems with math.

For realz. I could count to the end of the trillions (don't know what comes after that), doesn't mean I don't lose track of my fish after 10!

Coty that "competition" was funny! We were like Legolas and Gimli counting the orcs we killed.

Oh man I just made a LotR reference...my nerdom has been outed!

Interesting.....

The_Sasquatch wrote:

Oh man I just made a LotR reference...my nerdom has been outed!
its ok I laughed.

I'm still kinda new to this game (2 seasons), but still...I've never had an outing where I have caught these kinda numbers. I'd say for 2013, a day 3-4hours, with 7-10 fish would be really fun day that I was really feeling like I was "DA MAN".

FYI: any of you trout slayers who can show me how to do that....that'd be cool

Hey Sipe, if you cross the river into my neck of the woods, I'll be glad to take you to a few places where you'll have a 7-10 fish day but you gotta show me around some York Co. streams!

As far as "how to do it", a huge thing is just location. If you're fishing a stream that simply doesn't have those types of numbers, you're not gonna do it! If you fish a stream that is absolutely littered w/ trout, it is considerably easier ;-) Sometimes the big number days are an issue of being in the right place at the right time.

I've been OCD on metrics since I started in my teens, and kept logs. The main purpose was to learn, so that I could figure out what flies worked better on a given stretch on a given time of year. Later, this helped deciphering waters new to me.

Several decades ago, I started using a tape recorder on stream, and I'm still puzzled that I've never seen anybody else doing that although lots of anglers keep written logs (even on stream, which uses up ffishing time). I never got around to taking photos or videos on stream, which I now see quite a bit with the easy to use phones.

Being on the water at all makes the experience great. Seeing trouts, and especially rising and bugs makes it better yet. I like to see a landed rate of 5 trouts an hour, but it depends on conditions and especially trouts size. I went through a period of seeing if I could land 2000 trouts a year, and to that end distilled my approach targeting streams that had the capability of delivering 20-40 trouts an hour,

First and foremost, I had to figure out flies that would sustain several dozen trouts before having to change, thereby wasting ffishing time. I still don't consider a pattern as a general standard unless it tolerates 2 dozen trouts before needing replacement. The other point when going for the max count is to take a lesson from the English match fishing tournaments. To get to the 30-40 landed trouts per hour rate, necessarily I'm dealing with small, often tiny trouts. Under these conditions, my hands never get dry. When faced with seriously large trouts, say 18" plus, the logistics of playing them keeps me from expecting more than several an hour.

I need to check my spreadsheets, but I vividly remember getting from 40 trouts a session to 80 to 120. Somewhere after I got several 120-140s, my interests changed, since I began thinking about the mortality (maybe 1%) and wanting to not spoil the ffishing for the anglers behind me.

Now I still keep assiduous records, but if I manage 5-7/hr, I start playing with new fly patterns and messing with weird hooks (to see which ones don't hold trouts well).

Actually, now the trouts that interest me the most are the ones I don't catch, yet are still feeding away.

tl
les

Back