Help me make a gratuitious rod purchase

My 2cents:

Sounds like you did the kind of homework anyone who is serious about buying a rod should do. I get lots of people in our store that are looking at a rod just because of something they heard or saw. Bottom line: cast as many rods as you can.

My favorite dry fly rod is an Orvis Far and Fine. These rods started out as a bamboo taper but over the years the taper design has proven to be excellent in many other materials including graphite. I own an Orvis Graphite Far and Fine 7'9" 5wt. This rod is the grand-daddy to the superfine touch series out there today. If you get a chance I encourage you to try it.

Also consider that Orvis is coming out with Superfine Glass rods in January so you might want to get your hands on one of them before you pull the trigger, if time is no concern.

The rods you describe sound great also and I wish you good luck on your quest. You are doing it right, don't listen to the hype, go and cast everything you can get your hands on.

in the interest in of full disclosure I work for Orvis at an outlet and while I own some Orvis rods I have Sage's and winstons too. I can tell you they all cast differently and each company has it's own approach to building rods.

Tim I've cast that 7'9"Far & Fine and it is a wonderful rod. Very progressive and predictable through a whole range of distances.

Six - just now catching up on this interesting thread. I can vouch for the fine folks at the F's Spot in Van Nuys - the brothers who started it came from New Jersey, would you believe.

It sounds like you got some worthy advice and approached this 'gratuitous' mission in a very non-gratuitous manner.

Back