Heavy Penns Brown

Can I just say that it's fantastic that these guys are getting out there and getting big fish this winter.

It just shows, that it's not all magazine talk.

Kudos to you guys. Another unbelievable fish.

Great photos. What a fish

Nice fish and photos. I like black and white photos, and that works in winter!

In the dead of winter is about the only time you can fish Penns without much company.

During the peak hatch season it's very crowded. Even in the fall, in Sept and Oct, it's pretty busy.

Even on a chilly day in December I saw some other anglers. But when it's really a winter wonderland, you probably don't run into many anglers.

Wondering if anyone has big penns brown photos to share?

Rather than blather about the specific location, I should have congratulated you on a fine fish, some fine photography, and umm, answered the question.

The below fish, I didn't measure, but my streamside guess was 19-20", but later analysis of the photo revealed it was probably more like 17-18" (holding my hand like that and it's about 6" between the tip of my thumb and pinky). I've caught a number in that >16" but

csoult wrote:
Nice fish, but even better photos.

My thoughts exactly.

thats a pretty girl too there PC . Interesting that both rish have few spots below the lateral.

i'm itching for Saturdays mild weather now ;-)

This is still my best on Penns. Like pcray I have caught numerous in the 16" - 18" range. I thought this one would get to 20" but it was just shy.

Attachments

• 19+.JPG
    19+.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 6
No doubt - some beautiful pics and a fish to remember.

Great photos and fish man. Thanks for sharing!

Congratulations on some fine Penns Creek winter fishing. Thanks for sharing the fine photos - keep posting so our blood can get pumping a little early this season!

The trout in my avatar is a Penns Brown from 2012. She lost some weight before I met up with her a few times in 2013 and 2014. Looking forward to visiting with her again in 2015 if she's still healthy.

Jeff

Nice fish. Did you take the last photo as I have been looking to get a nice photo framed for my family room.

Thanks all! I took all the photos with the exception of me of course holding the fish, a friend shot that with my camera for me! Love seeing penns browns... all so different!

Nice photos and story.

I fished Penns today, from the confluence of elk/pine downstream to the first bridge ( driveway ) crossing. Check out this rainbow I found dead under the bridge. Where are the rainbows coming from? The private land at the guard rail on pine?

Attachments

• 10968338_10205905649546050_6018506338924401994_n.jpg
    10968338_10205905649546050_6018506338924401994_n.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 3
There is surely private stocking on the Elk and Pine tribs. Is the PFBC stocking above Coburn limited to brown trout or might this be a PFBC plant?

PS, looks quite healthy to be dead. Maybe someone clubbed it to keep the creek pure.

I was asked that same question regarding stocking this evening, Jack. I simply don't know the answer, I'm sure someone else will chime in.

Here are things i do know...

This spring, I caught a similar sized rainbow in ingleby at the sand hole on a 18 BWO.

Last winter, we caught over a dozen rainbows in the 9-12" range from about ingleby to the poe tunnel.

I did manage two catch two other rainbows today in coburn as well.

I have fished the private water by the kind graces of the landowner within the last 12 months, and I do recall there being rainbows caught there as well.

I have very limited experience on Penns, but a friend of mine caught a hatchery rainbow between Coburn and Ingleby on a trip last May. I only caught wild browns that day. One fish we missed that weekend was easily in the 20in class, and we missed a few other solid fish while chucking meat in the high flows.

A few weeks later another guy I know told me he got into a bunch of little rainbows around 6 inches around Coburn. I have no clue of their source.

btw that's an awesome fish! Killer photos too....

Beautiful fish - a memory for a lifetime there!

Sorry if i missed it but what did you get it on?
Also, due my interest in photography, what photo gear are you using? any filters in the third photo?

Congrats - fish of a lifetime for many guys.

Back