Hang time Muskie fly

I mainly fish rivers and with a streamer style line. My biggest problem is line thats stripped. The current takes it down stream. And have to fight that loop of line on the next haul. I tried a basket and hate it. I talked to the cortland sales rep at our local fly shop and he had nothiong but good things to say about the quick decent lines. He used 'em for stripers in the surf.

Any of you guys ever done any good with muskie in the dead of winter

yeah... no current and out of the water makes some difference

The QD is a great line!
but with the larger flies you need to treat is a shooting head with Belgian style casts
with an int running line... wading with out a basket is no fun

Hey deaddrift the mahoning creek out flow is probably your best shot this winter.

No. 9 dam is another one that might be ok. I'm not sure how the parking would be with the snow.

Have any of you ever tried using the hollow tie method popularized by Bob Popovics? It is a style of fly that traditionally uses bucktail tied in a way that gives you maximum profile with a minimum of materials. I have seen other materials used but bucktail is usually the most common material. I am new to musky fly fishing...ok I've tried it once or twice, buts its something I will spend more time at next year. Just a thought as I look at all of these "half a chicken" flys, cause there's no way my crappy casting could chuck those things out there. I can however cast a big hollow fly OK.

erik

Troutbum you ever fish below mahoning dam? I heard right @ the discharge is nice castin......

curious...what do you guys use to connect the sections when making the tandems?

I've only done it for trout and I feel like there's no way the light braided stuff i have will hold up.

Yea i have paco. Right below the dam is ok casting. You must be thinking of the spill way shortly below the dam. It is awesome for casting as long as water levels are good because you will have to wade. It is alot like piney.

I use fifty pound braid to connect mine and i have never had any problems. I like power pro braid but that is just me.

@Ebroesicke. I have used them they are a good choice for someone who is just getting started into muskie fishing and they catch fish. I have been at it for ten years now and i prefer heavy flies suits my casting style. I take advantage of the weight of the fly and let it pull my line.

go to a craft store and get some of this
good for flies and leaders

beadalon19_015.jpg

thanks trout bum. I bought a boat this year and will be targeting them at Beltzville lake. probably not the best spot, but that's where the wife and kids like to swim/tube/fish.

ebroesicke wrote:
thanks trout bum. I bought a boat this year and will be targeting them at Beltzville lake. probably not the best spot, but that's where the wife and kids like to swim/tube/fish.

Yo dude... I'm in B-town too. I hear there's some Muskie on the Lehigh near the outflow of the Jordan. I have 'toon as well. If you wanna head out sometime let me know...(pm is better...)

Anyone else go Muskie fishing in the LV?

Thanks ramcatt, I might need to hit the craft store tonight.

@Phil, I only fished the lehigh once or twice w/ gear a while back...but i visit the valley a lot and I'm eager to try the musky thing out again. I usually hear of a few good reports from the river each year.

I'd be down to check it out again.

Not to thread jack, but does anyone have some good single hook resides thy can shoot my way? I have a few home grown recipes, but I don't think they are up to snuff. It would be much appreciated! TIA-Joel

The only time I would use a smaller sigle hook fly is if I only had acess to a 8 wt. I fish heavy rod so I can get the bigger fly out there. I your lookin for single hook 1s is the hangtime, or a ep fiber fly. the hangtime will push more water makin it easier of a musky to find it.

so what wt rod are you guys throwing? 10? I have an 8 and 10, but I'm guessing I would need the 10 to chuck some of these bigger flies. Line choice? I know there are lots of variables, but what is the one you pick up the most?

I use a 10WT with an intermediate WF line for most muskie fishing.

Back