ground hog

Ya I know safety is an issue but the hog lives under the porch so I can't block up the hole. I don't have the money to buy a trap or hire anyone to get rid of it so the only way to do it is the gun. It's an easy shot to make from my "sniper perch" and i plan on making sure no one is around when I do take the shot. And I'm using the bb gun so its not like I'm using a real gun to get it...

set a snare on the hole you'll get him.. then club him. BB's don't do much unless you are shooting 1200 fps or better. snaring makes sure there is no blood..

Is Fred Reese still in business? Friend of mine - Jersey Shore - gave me bet snow shoe dyed for e mergers. I bought many, to last my flyfishing days. That kinda operation is hard to keep alfloat.

Ztrout,
Fred sold the shop in late 90's to Bob Pearson,it was moved to Avis.Last i knew it looked like it went under.Fred had some of the best materials that a guy could buy that were custom dyed to match the insects when wet.Whether it was Sparkle yarn ,dubbing,feathers or other unique items Fred was the man.
Only guy I know now that might be as good is Sandfly, i havent been to his shop but i do plan on making a trip in September.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace
P.S. best place i ever bought when i ran out of flies were BWO{cornutas}specifially guy who tied em made his own dubbing dyed it himself also.this was at the Elk Creek General Store out near the Loyalsock.

ihrtffishing wrote:
Well there's a ground hog in the backyard eating the garden so it needs to go. Would the fur be of any value to me for use in fly tying?
Actually yes. The hair on the back / sides area makes great dubbing. Shoot the animal, hang him in your garage and skin him. I have one setting in my mud room that I have cured w salt. Also the tails work great for streamer wings as the tail is a stiff durable material that works great! I have 4 tails dried and am drying two others. I have as many wood chucks here as anyone.

ihrtffishing wrote:
Well there's a ground hog in the backyard eating the garden so it needs to go. Would the fur be of any value to me for use in fly tying?
Actually yes. The hair on the back / sides area makes great dubbing. Shoot the animal, hang him in your garage and skin him. I have one setting in my mud room that I have cured w salt. Also the tails work great for streamer wings as the tail is a stiff durable material that works great! I have 4 tails dried and am drying two others. I have as many wood chucks here as anyone.

Got one in my garden now eating my bean crop. I have the same problem that I can't fire a firearm in the neighborhood. Let's see how he handles my leg hold trap.

Live trap with apples or Gamo Whisper with the raptor pellts will get it done.I wish someone would introduce Grunsow in dubbing ,i have a bit hoarded but when its gone its gone.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

before I moved to the country I lived right in town and I had ground hog problems. I used cb caps for my 22 bolt action they are very quiet,just a small pop and they are enough to kill groundhogs with a well placed shot. I have a pelt and I like the dubbing it produces and the tails are good for making tails and wings.

Back