Good Beginner Vise for Nymphs

nomad_archer wrote:
The only thing I will disagree with RC on is the hook sizes. For nymphs 2xl size 14 and 16 will be just right 90% of the time. I rarely tye the nymphs listed in 10's or 12's.

You're just trying to dig me in deeper, aren't you nomad?! :lol:

On that note though...cam or no cam? Also....is there a place around SEPA that I could put my hands on some vices? Sadly missed out on the FF Show this weekend due to family visiting.

Did you deeper.... Nah I have faith you will do that just fine one your own. As for hooks, they can be a major or minor expense depending on the brands you choose. I try to keep most of my hooks in the $2-$3 per 25 for the common nymph hooks. It is really up to you though you can spend $5-$6 or more a pack.

As for finding a vise to try. I am not sure about all of SE PA. I know there are a few but not a ton available at the TCO in Reading. If you wanted you could also checkout my vise which is a peak.

nomad_archer wrote:
The only thing I will disagree with RC on is the hook sizes. For nymphs 2xl size 14 and 16 will be just right 90% of the time. I rarely tye the nymphs listed in 10's or 12's.

Good point Nomad. I'll change the write-up.

FlyGuy, Orvis in Plymouth Meeting has vices.

RCFetter wrote:
FlyGuy, Orvis in Plymouth Meeting has vices.

Figured they would. Looks like I'll have to pawn the little ones off on momma for an afternoon this weekend. :-D

Also wanted to let you know I spoke with Tim Flagler from tighlinevideo at the show last weekend and he said they were coming out with a one minute tying techniques series. It may be something you want to keep an eye on.

Here is the first one.
https://youtu.be/waKpkSvXvRY

As regards cam vs. thumbscrew tensioning:

In the beginning, the Griffin Odyssey and Renzetti Traveler were both double thumbscrew. Both work so well I have never been persuaded of the value of "upgrading" to a cam version, and in fact, I harbor a fair amount of suspicion that doing so would lead to buyers remorse.

Now, the Griffin comes either double screw or screw/cam hybrid, whereas the Traveler comes only screw/cam hybrid. If insisting on cam operation, I would get the Traveler. I have seen some Griffins with cams that were quite clunky.

For just about any model vise you can think of, there are youtube videos reviewing them. These are usually not very exhausting, but sometimes you can note a fair amount of difficulty the user is having with the cam mechanism, even on some expensive models. This may or may not be a function of operator error depending on what you are looking at, but it does indicate that the presence of a cam does not mean there are no fine tunings needed.

I acknowledge that various cam vises have many adherents, especially from the likes of HMH, Dynaking and Peak, but I have no direct experience with them. These are all true cam vises, involving a collet mechanism. The Griffin and Renzetti are not like this, as they have a fulcrum design. For more on the difference between collet vs. fulcrum designs do an online search.

As far as I know, the spring-action Regal is the only design that allows you to go to different hook sizes without making adjustments. Not true rotary, of course, but the die hard fans will tell you that is of no importance, and since you only have to please yourself, that is 100% accurate.

I honestly think those AA vises are a great place to start for a beginner. They are more than functional and I think work quite well given their price. A little more expensive though and the Griffin Spider Odyssey is a solid choice.

I wonder what the poster decided to do? His or her reply would be interesting.

Back