Gifts For Landowners

NickR wrote:
Gfen, I must really give off that Jersey vibe huh?

They cannot help it they've never seen a man fish in a track suit, and generally speaking, they don't care for all those gold chains.

JackM - your post made me cry laughing... blouse and black vest!!! that vass goot!

Caveman - same thing about the shoo-fly pie except I have had Nicks' cooking and it aint bad...he IS greek!

Mo - it is funny how they don't understand things like that but then again you might make friend and gain some private water to yourself by explaining it ... then again you are going to lose a lot of friends if your TU chapter finds out who told em! LOL JK

Troutbert - I think you are "projecting" a little here brother. Meno's and AIMish love feeshin as much as the rest of us and if they didn't want ol' nick fishin they'd let him know. I have permission from several local farmers to fish their wild trout streams and the best way I have found to reach out is to be up-front with your intentions. tell them you are there to fish. Everyone appreciates honesty and if you make it clear you respect their land they will respect you. trying to buy your way in isn't a guarantee although it is a pretty amish way to do things.

going along with the concept of honesty there is property here in lancaster many are familiar with and even though the property owner is very open to the public with his land I have tried on several occasions to offer him help around the farm throughout the year and every christmas we give them a starbucks gift card. it's not much but it really made a good impression and we have a great relationship.

just a thought, gifts can come in many forms. you buy something or offer your help for a half day or so. either way, letting landowners know they and their land are appreciated is always good.

ok off my soap-box

by the way: I abhor amish and Mennonite youth when playing hockey but that is for the OT forum...

I just read that G. ROFL!!!

again Nick, I'll deliver the flies and GC to them...trust me

Kannst Du Flicka Mika?

I have neighbors who are strict Mennonite. They are the best neighbors I've ever had, and I fish on their pond. As a gift, something simple like brownies or cookies for a holiday go a long way. I find that they, and their children are very curious about fly fishing. However being cold and distant doesn't seem like the Mennonite people in my experience. They are probably just curious. You're a stranger fishing their pond waving a strange type of fishing rod they've never seen before. That's my opinion on the subject.

how to confuse a Mennonite:

offer him a free beer

A stringer of trout or bass left on the porch with a note is the traditional gift isn't it ?

Or some baked goods from your wife.

In all honesty, next time you go there talk to him first and offer to help him out on the farm in some way in return for him lettin g you fish. Spending an evening helping him put hay away or something like that would be as kind of a gesture as any. I can remember some people that used to hunt on our farm that would used to help us once in a while.

Nick,
In troutbert's defense, you stated you fish unposted navigable water. You don't say that you spoke to the landowner before fishing there. It could be misleading.

Just give him a bottle of whiskey and some good buds, you'll be golden after that. :lol:

I have not read al of the posts but, your reading way, way too much in to this. Pretty sure you said you were dealing with kids here.... Kids, c'mon. They are kids. Bang'n boat oars and one word answers ain't just limited to the Mennonite kids. As far as getting gifts.... What!?! Ask if you can fish. If they say yes, ask where it's best to park and say thank you. Pick up trash you find on your way and ask if they would like some cleaned ready to cook fish now and then... Gifts, c'mon... Read'n way tooo much into .... Kids.

I am thinking that it is the same landowner that is giving the OK to fish. You may want to ASK them PERMISSION if you are purchasing a gift for their children or for them. You may want to explain that your gift is in exchange for their gift (allowing you to fish there) that they are providing you. If they refuse - do not push the issue. Pushing any issue may be treated as disrespect to them, and they may ask you not to come again.

Do not talk religion with them, until you are on a first name basis. And even then with great caution.

I don't know if tying flies is a good idea, unless you know that they flyfish. I would go with the gift card for a store that is in their area of traveling. Pick up something at the local store (home made pie, some candies, Jams or jellies) Cabalas may be a bit to far.

People who don't want to move into the modern day technology should not be pushed into it. They would probably be thankful if you did give them a few hours of your time.

Remember, always ask permission. If you buy a gift for them, they may feel that they need to give you something. a gift exchange may put to great of a burden on their family - so be very careful.

Telling someone not to walk up to someones door and introduce yourself is like saying never speak to anyone at a restaurant, bus, store, fishing, hunting, ever. This is how the human social system works. A lot of the responses on this thread seemed to be based that these folks (the Amish and Mennonites) are from some kind of distant planet. I've lived and worked around these folks for most of my life. I guess maybe I look at it from a vastly different point of view because I have had them work for me with me and for them in their homes, and churches. Talk about a stigma of peoples. You certainly don't need to wear kid gloves around these people and tip toe around with words while talking to them. Drive slow in the lane cuz there's usually going to be little kids and dogs and who knows what else that runs out to meet you. These are incredibly friendly people for the most part. More than likely your going to talk to a daughter or wife at first. Ask if the man of the house is about. She'll probably tell you he's out in the field and point. Go talk to the man, introduce yourself. Ask about property use. There is no magical secret to this your talking to a land owner. It's just that simple. I've done it a few hundred times for hunting, fishing, camping. Yep, ask um if they would like some fish ready to cook every now and then, a dozen deer steaks go a long way. I've bailed hay come that season just so I could hunt ground hogs, deer and pheasant. These are just men and women. Be respectful. That is probably the most important thing. Is there that much difference between city folk and country folk that we don't know how to talk with one another? Don't turn it in to a science project. Drive in the lane and ask.... It's just that simple. the worst their gonna say in no. This has got to be one of the most redundant threads I've ever seen. Their just people.

NickR wrote:
Troutbert,

Are you really going to make me quote myself?

"I have been fishing on some Menonite farms as of late and while the properties I am fishing are FREE OF POSTED SIGNS AND EVERYONE I ASK TELLS ME THEY DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH ME FISHING THEIR PROPERTY I still get the feeling that I am not really welcome."

Nick, that is what you said, but it has multiple meanings, and the first one I came to was the same as Troutbert. It reads like you initially asked other anglers, and not the actually landowner. You only asked the owner while you were already fishing. As a land owner, I would find that to be rude.

Whatever.

Not really welcome is likely accurate. Don't expect the guy to be happy that you are there. He is likely just tolerating your presence.

I believe in PA, if not posted, it is assumed permission, so technically you were OK. Not the case n Ohio.

Amish and Menonite tend to be peaceful and quiet to people outside of their own community or business. I on the other hand I am neither Amish nor Mennonite so I am not always that way. Depending on how the confrontation went, if I caught someone hunting or fishing on my property without permission, there could be a size 13 planted in someones crack. figuratively of course. But usually it doesn't go that way, but it could.

Just sayin.

Always better to ask.

Then again, if I don't know you, or you are not local (as in live walking distance away) the answer is gonna be no. I'd be nice about it though. I only have ponds, and the crick just has a few minnows and crayfish. If I had a navigable trout stream passing through the property, the answer would likely be different.

As far as their actions, it was kids being kids, and the Amish guy just being curious.

What to give the land owner? It is a nice gesture, but what do you give someone who has and wants nothing. I haven't read through all of the responses, but I saw a couple good ones.

If they sell something, buy something and most of them sell something or have a side business at least.

If not, get them a gift card from a local store or a gas card if they drive. Even the most conservative Anabaptist buy groceries, sporting goods and some clothing.

PennypackFlyer wrote:
I am thinking that it is the same landowner that is giving the OK to fish. You may want to ASK them PERMISSION if you are purchasing a gift for their children or for them. You may want to explain that your gift is in exchange for their gift (allowing you to fish there) that they are providing you. If they refuse - do not push the issue. Pushing any issue may be treated as disrespect to them, and they may ask you not to come again.

Although my thoughts are more along the line of what Fiveweight said, this reminds me of an experience.

An Amish Widow used to live up the road about a mile with 6 or 8 kids. Her husband was killed by a drunk driver. That is not the story though.

The story is as follows, and I know I told it before. For those that object. shut your pie hole.

I was getting rid of about 2 dozen chickens. I was replacing them and I didn't have feel like slaughtering them. I offered them to the Amish widow. She just happened to be butchering and canning chickens later that week with a couple other Amish women so she was extremely pleased. Timing was perfect. After delivering them, she asked me if I wanted a few canned chickens in return. I didn't. She said she had to give me something and then asked... "Do you like pie?"

Understand that I'm about 6'6" and weighed abut 350 at the time. I held my arms out and said, "what do you think?"

Anyway, this is not some unwritten Amish or Mennonite code that they have to do something in return. It's called being neighborly.

The pies were quite good.

I think she liked me.

FarmerDave:
You put in the post that "She said she had to give me somthing", which fall along the line of what I was saying. When I was in the Service we had a saying, "When in doubt, salute" . Yes I made lots of mistakes saluting the wrong ranks before I got it right. Thanks for your two posts above.

Holy overkill. Yeah, Nick I kind of think you're being a bit paranoid. The kids were just being kids, they fished for a while probably got bored and then decided it'd be more fun to play in the boat and splash around on the stream. I mean it's summer and they're kids after all. It's what they do. The older fellow was probably just curious.

As for the buying a gift, it's the thought that counts. It doesn't have to be elaborate and even a fruit basket might be appreciated regardless of whether they have their own fruit trees or whatever. In my pheasant club we typically give every landowner whose property we hunt a turkey or ham for the holidays and a bottle of wine. It's given as a token of appreciation for getting to hunt the property so there's no exchange of gifts expected. Think about it for a bit and I'm sure you'll come up with a good gift to give the Mennonite landowners if you want.

I'm with Fiveweight, these folks are not from some other planet. They're good hardworking people, usually quite friendly if you take the time to say hello. I certainly see plenty of Mennonite families visiting Cabelas almost anytime I've gone there so a gift card would likely be a good idea. If they have a stand, maybe just patronize it (every time I fish the Narrows of Fishing Creek, if it's not a Sunday I stop at a local Amish stand and buy jams, whoopie pies, vegetables, or flowers or whatever.)

So pulling into the driveway in a white van and offering candy to the kids is a no-go? Lol.

Some great suggestions folks, thanks!

PennypackFlyer wrote:
FarmerDave:
You put in the post that "She said she had to give me somthing", which fall along the line of what I was saying. When I was in the Service we had a saying, "When in doubt, salute" . Yes I made lots of mistakes saluting the wrong ranks before I got it right. Thanks for your two posts above.

Yes, I did say that, but "have to" is just an expression or at least that is the way I took it. There is no rule in their religion or otherwise that requires them to do it.

Well, just the golden rule.

She just wanted to do something nice in return. You know, be neighborly. Either that or she likes very large German men. We are about the same age.

I got it!

Buy him a hoe.

FarmerDave:
Is it the farming type of hoe or Clinton's version?

Back