Furled leaders, school me

I don't use them on small streams, they get caught in trees and the have to be cut to get them out.

Chaz wrote:
I don't use them on small streams, they get caught in trees and the have to be cut to get them out.

Good point Chaz. I also get a lot of abrasions on my mono leaders on small streams from casting across rocks and tree limbs. So a furled leader probably would fare worse.

I have no problems using furled leaders on small streams. No worse in the trees than any other leader. It's the fly and tippet that get caught not the leader.

All this furled leader talk has me interested. I fish a 7'6" 4w a lot and wondering what length leader would be best?

I have used them for 1 year. Like the performance especially for dries.
With that said I prefer to make my own tapered leaders with maxima amnesia butt section, ultra green mid sections and rio for tippet sections. Add a tippet ring and that will last a very long time.
Nymphing leader is level butt section of amnesia 8' then rio sighter finished with tippet ring. Then just add 6' of flouro.

I tried the one I bought last weekend and I did not care for it. It could be that I'm just not used to it or I bought one that was too long. Mine is 7', so by time I add a couple feet of tippet and two flies, I'm over 10'. I'm going to stick with my Maxima leaders until I get around to ordering a shorter furled leader to try. Perfection loop on the end of 4' of 20#, 1 1/2' of 12#, 2' of 6# or 4x, add 5x tippet as needed. Easy to make, they hold up for at least a few trips, cast great, and cost pennies. I also tie up some shorter ones for brookie streams, same formula, just shorter lengths.

That's a long furled leader 724. I would be using that on very delicate casts with tiny flies. I would say most furled leaders are between 4-6 feet. Try a shorter one and you may be pleased.

Any leader is designed to turn over in best in certain conditions. It would be hard to turn a heavy streamer on a 9ft 6x leader of any kind. Gotta match the equipment for it's purpose. Fly fishing can be very general at times but it can also get quite complicated. Darn that whole physics thing.

Tell me about dressings. Most information is about using floatants. I heard that some people will use a sinking dressing to get the leader down in the film when fishing very wary fish in clear smooth water.
Thoughts?

salvelinus wrote:
I have no problems using furled leaders on small streams. No worse in the trees than any other leader. It's the fly and tippet that get caught not the leader.

Agreed

franklin wrote:
Tell me about dressings. Most information is about using floatants. I heard that some people will use a sinking dressing to get the leader down in the film when fishing very wary fish in clear smooth water.
Thoughts?

Keep a can of ScotchBrite in your car and spray it on the leader. Will last all day or so I am told. Least that was what I read about using floatants in Fly Fishing for Dummies!

Mucillin green to keep it floating

Any paste floatant will work fine. Mucillin is a good choice but Loon or any other paste type will be fine. I grease mine after fishing and allowing the leader to dry. The next time I go its all ready to fish.

Back