Frustrated Land Owner

If it were mine, id post it, kick out the kids partying, and allow people to fish, hunt, hike with permission. Only a matter of time till the party turns stupid and dangerous, someone gets hurt, and some idiot parent sues his *** for being a nice guy.

Not sure how this works in this case, honestly. What you are talking about is posting, period. Generally speaking, landowner has little or no liability if they don't post. They do have liability if they do post. Hence, lawsuit more likely if you do as you say, and pretty much immune to it if he leaves it open.

But, knowingly allowing illegal activity could shift that a little.

yeah and like I said, "teen" may be my own interpretation of the word, "kids".

And when I was a teen, we frequently had parties in the woods (private property, not our own). Some had beer, some didn't.

As the leaders, we tried to pick up after ourselves, but I won't swear that we got everything. We did have cops chase us a few times. They had to cross a big field to get to where we were. It was pretty funny. They'd park, shine their lights up towards us and the fire. Get out and start walking. We'd watch them get about half way across the field, and then scatter into the woods, taking any alcohol with us. They'd get there, shine the flashlights around a bit, yell something like "we'll get you kids". Then they'd give up and walk back to the car. We were back around the fire before they made it back to the vehicles.

What were they gonna do? It's night, and we know the woods far better than them. If they search the woods and see one of us, we'd just run, and they weren't gonna catch us.

A neighbor (who was also a FB coach) caught us with alcohol once. He walked his dogs through the woods every day. Came back the next day, and I was in the yard with my dad. He stopped and said "It's such a warm day, I climbed that big hill, and by the top I was just exhausted, hot and sweaty. I sat down in a little clearing, and God must of been smiling on me, cause you'll never believe what I found. There were 4 unopened beers sitting there, still on ice!" My dad gave me a look, and then the neighbor said "I hope you don't mind, I drank 3 of em". And he wasn't lying.

I was grounded for a month. Moral of the story. Finish your beer!

I had to break ties with my best buddy because of his belief that unposted land was open without the need for obtaining advance permission.

Legally, he was right. Though, based on the rest of the story, that doesn't exclude him from also being an idiot. ;)

Was fishing last night and saw a 12 pack of empty cans on a rock in the stream lol

Sas,
If you need someone to put in some weekend volunteer work over there I am game.... Anything that will help us keep good waters and lands open..... message me if you like

JVenezia wrote:
Sas,
If you need someone to put in some weekend volunteer work over there I am game.... Anything that will help us keep good waters and lands open..... message me if you like

^ @ 50 Jamie! :lol: :pint:

Yay Afish.... I am racking them up now.. This thread also brings something to mind do we as a group ever get together for any trout type community service as in clean a water way or build ripples or rock forms? If not is anyone interested? I am sure the fish and boat commission could provide us a list of such co-op properties where we could at least do our part from time to time to keep good water open, thriving, on the mend and clean.

Put all teenage boys on ridilin until they are 25.

JasonS wrote:
bikerfish wrote:
If it were mine, id post it, kick out the kids partying, and allow people to fish, hunt, hike with permission. Only a matter of time till the party turns stupid and dangerous, someone gets hurt, and some idiot parent sues his *** for being a nice guy.

Why would the parent be an idiot to sue in that situation? It's not like the kids are trespassing and drinking, this guy is actually inviting them to drink on his property.

Really? The best you got is to lump it all on a frustrated landowner who's trying to allow people to enjoy his property but imploring with some probably "over-privileged" young people to at least clean-up after themselves and put their freakin' fires out. I'm not saying he's going about it in the best way but he's trying to connect with him and not come off as some prick so they at least stop trashing his property and creating fire hazards. He's trying to get them to have a little respect and common sense which apparently their parents haven't succeeded in doing.

Yes. Welcome to the real world. When you condone illegal activities on your property you assume 100% liability. There isn't a "cool guy" exemption to the law.

What did you just stay at Holiday Inn Express or something? ;-) While you're engaging in everyone's favorite practice of armchair lawyering remember you're basing it on hearsay. Speaking simply as one guy to another, I completely get what you're saying but I also get where this gracious landowner is coming from too, he just wants people to enjoy his land without burning it down or littering every square inch. He's trying not to be a hardass but you're right that in doing so like that he's opening himself up to at least a certain degree of liability. It just struck me as a little sad that from the entire content of the story that's what you fixed on.

I think some of us are missing the real issue, I don't believe the issue is what the landowner will or won't allow/condone. I think the issue is the lack of respect by people today, not only kids. To give you an example, I was fishing this Saturday at a local stream and came back to my car, parked in a preserve lot to find slices of pizza stuck in my door handle and under my windshield wiper. Please explain to me where that comes from other than lack of respect for other people's property.

I hope those slices had some bacon on it! Did you eat them? ;-)

Funny, but that whole "lack of respect" angle of the discussion is mundane and ordinary. It isn't anything that new and different. I guess neither is the fact that some people who try to do something helpful and friendly are taking an awful risk for themselves that in balance they ought to think twice about.

Jack, just because it's mundane or old doesn't make it any less real. I just find it interesting and sad that some people seem to want to make this about the landowner's issues rather than those using his land.

Sbecker, thanks for your show of support. :roll:

Foxgap gets it! It really is a shame and I see it in other aspects with young people but not surprisingly when you see the parents often enough you understand completely where the disrespect for others comes from. I coach youth wrestling and I once found a big ol' nasty lugie on my passenger side window as I left a tournament. Some kid was just walking by and spit right on a random window like it doesn't matter 'cause it's not his. Thankfully I see enough young people that are indeed respectful that I'm not completely jaded.

So, what, should we just start threads about disrespectful behavior and insist that everyone stick to that topic rather than interesting topics that also present themselves.

Here:

"It's a shame what those kids/some people did/do."

Does that make everything feel better?

The focus on the landowner is at least constructive in that it may cause other landowners to avoid risky behavior. Do you think posting a rant and then everyone piling on is going to change the attitude of anyone who lacks respect?

Not many of those types participate here. And, if they do read occasionally, this kind of stuff goes over their heads or is laughable to them, trust me.

Jack, I understand where you are coming from but the OP was simply passing on info about a private stream he has access to and the frustrations the landowner is feeling. I agree that we can't resolve anything on this site in regard to this issue but if some of our own community don't get it and want to blame the issues on the landowner, I guess we know this issue will just continue to get access restrictions.

I really have nothing else to add.

So as usual, your viewpoints are acceptable but others that don't interest you aren't? I replied to Foxgap, agreeing with his sentiment that some might be losing the main point of the story. Not surpisingly you offer a different opinion and your own verbose rant. That's great Jack, do you feel better now?

Back