From our friends at Sage

gfen wrote:
just because you are stuck in your western mentality ways of complexitiy and complicated western systems, rammcatt, is no reason to reject the zen like sublime simplicity of ancient japanese Tenkada arts of fly fishing.

one can assume a samurai like code of piscine bushido, a zen like mind slate of less is more, armed with a humble container of sakasa kebari, i am able to focus on using my katana of trout catching, i focus my chi and propel it through the supple graphite of tenkara rod, and i can make my kebari dance to trout delight.

you, clearly, are of a western mindset, too stuck in your material trappings to understand one can free themselves of the reel shackle, than when you embrace Tenkara, you are the ninja of the stream. as i am. humble i am to fish, understanding only my Tenkara rod and my humble, furled line and ancient one fly way.

I am a predator, and all fish succumb to me like wheat before the scythe.

Free your mind, rammcatt.

Or put down the numchucks, skip the yoga class and catch more fish.

Sage going full circle and coming out with the "Circa" proves only further the biggest impediment to catching fish, is the 2 legged thing attached to butt end of the rod.

The Circa is an overt attempt to build a product to appeal to a market that isn't interested in the latest and greatest. Choice is good.

I grew up fishing a short fiberglass rod on small to mid size streams. When I got out on my own and could afford to, I bought a 9' 5wt graphite fast-cation rod and started down the path of finding the most ruthlessly effiecient tool for catching fish.

I was a fair caster but it was not until I got some actual instruction that I became truely proficient. Once that happened, I realized that I enjoyed casting a slower action rod for the feel and feedback and didn't need a fast action to do what I wanted to do.

Fast forward and I now fish mostly with bamboo not to show off but because I like the nostalgia of it. Kind of like going rabbit hunting with your Grandfather's side-by-side. I still have my glass rod and proudly fish that on occasion, too.

I have been a little long-winded but my point is that fishing should be fun and people should fish what makes them smile and don't be offended if someone tried to turn you on to something new, or old.

Shock

afishinado wrote:
Agreed, western guys like Rammy (west of Harrisburg I would say) have closed minds. Carry on.

But you and I are South Eastern Onii-san, hai! We understand the subtle ways of TENKAHRA Eastern mystical fly fishing. The Rammcatts and those who are stuck in the silly Western ways do not understand our powers, to make the dancing kebabs of insectasorial delight and torment our piscine opponents into our dance, our aquatic nishimonai bon odor.

We are of the calm, zenlike mind of the Eastern Trout Warrior, unclouded by material trappings or reels. And a little bit south. Crunked Eastern Trout Warriors, but only a touch, hai!

Saraba, Afish-san.

oh

Should have seen what I deleted-lol

I'm sure I'd have +1'd that too. LMAO

I plan on wedding the mythical zen-like ways of eastern fishing with the ruthless efficiency of western techniques. I'm gonna remove my fly reel and attach 300 yds of 6lb mono to the tip of my fly rod. Tenkada Centerpinning!!! Behold my awesomeness.

Thats one of the best responses ive read in a while!

Then all you will need is a fly that looks like, smells like, and tastes like live bait. Hmmm.......or Sushi?

You are aware that two tenkara rods colaspe down and connect togther to form numchucks right?

JasonS wrote:
I plan on wedding the mythical zen-like ways of eastern fishing with the ruthless efficiency of western techniques. I'm gonna remove my fly reel and attach 300 yds of 6lb mono to the tip of my fly rod. Tenkada Centerpinning!!! Behold my awesomeness.

You're onto something. Just drape your endeavour in Eastern mysticism and some new agey nonsense, and you can probably convinced alot of people that its better than Western centerpinning, and a technique of the ancient daimyo to practice for war, biggity bam, you'll score plenty of money.

The key though, one fly. Err, bead. One bead. One bead simplicity.

There's your tag line: One bead simplicity.

All of my rods are light fast action rods that are balanced well on the handle. They are up-locking seats, I like the little butt section for fighting larger fish.
I knew if I wore my black socks long enough they'd come back. They smell pretty bad though.

Back