Fly tying - taking the plunge; which vise?

Another assumption where you are wrong, I own a regal stainless

You have a Peak too Ernie?

Jay: Nope. Tied on one and loved it. I like the price tag even more. As soon as I get a job and get some income again, it is the first thing I'm going to get.

how about a pair of vise grips super glued onto the end of a bench ? 9 $ for vise grips , 2$ for glue !

No need for glue. Just c-clamp one side of the grips with the screw to the table.

Lee Wulff tied with his bare hands...Grrrrrrrrr

I have both tied on and sold a lot of vices and from my own experience, and in that price range, you can't go wrong with the traveler or the regal.

Aside from the obvious difference between the two, there are a couple less obvious ones. While the traveler is a great vice, it is small, and because of this, I find that it is a bit "tippy"--if you get the pedastal base. The regals I've tied on have heavier bases and therefore are a little more stable. For me, the most important difference between the two is the ease with which you can secure a hook and the range of hooks that you can put in a regal. As there is no fine tuning with a regal, time is saved. Also, if you plan on tying saltwater flies or even big freshwater stuff, the traveler doesn't hold (too solidly anyway) hooks larger than 2/0. You don't have the same problem with the regal.

There you have it. I haven't tied on every vice out there, but I've sample a bunch, and these two are solid.

Have fun.

All good advice. Lots of opinions out there on the different products.

You can go out and spend a tons of cash on a fly tying vise, or a few bucks.

Our guide ties flies before we hit the stream while at home and in the hotel room after a day on the water if they are hitting something in particular and he wants to bulk up for the next day.

So at home of course he has top of the line equipment, but in the hotel room it's a far less expensive setup.

Guess what, he ties them in the hotel room with lightning speed and they look the same as what is in his numerous fly boxes.

I went less expensive with mine here at home and all my flies catch fish. To each their own though, spend lots or spend little, the flies from one ot the other all work the same as far as I am concerned.

just received the new pedestal regal , wholy crap is that baby a beauty , even has trays built into the base and its heavy and rock solid

Back