Fly tying - taking the plunge; which vise?

I would sugest you try a few out. Whats good for one guy may not be good for you. Go to your local fly shop and ask to try them. Look for a vise with a heavy base, for stabillity. make sure you feel comfortable with the way it opperates.

Enlighten me.

I have used a rotary twice, but most of my experience came tying in Don's place at the bighorn. I volunteered to tie for all of us while we watched caddyshack, ate spaghetti, and drank beer. It was one of the most enjoyable moments of my life. Anyway, I always half hitched before using the rotary feature and hung the thread on that little arm that sticks out in front of the vise and gets in the way. I am assuming that's how you do it?

Don,
If you read this, what kind of vise was that? It was nice.

how does one eat spaghetti and tye at the same time??haha

jay,your welcome to use my renzetti traveller anytime.i'm right up the street from you.

doesn't the sauce make the dry flys sink ?

My wife got me a dyna-king kingfisher the other year for Christmas at the Evening Rise, I like it a lot and I believe it is in that price range. It is a pedestal base which I like, breaks down nicely and it is easily portable, ie to take to work in your spare time.

Peak Rotary

Regal

There is no technique in fly tying that can only be done on a rotary vise. Keep in mind that everything you will ever do while fly tying was done first on a non-rotary vise. A half hitch and 10 seconds to turn the hook over in the vise will allow you to see the bottom of any fly you will ever tie.

ErnieBall on 2009/10/6 2:39:00

Peak Rotary

You have a Peak too Ernie?

TimMurphy on 2009/10/7 22:54:30

Regal

There is no technique in fly tying that can only be done on a rotary vise. Keep in mind that everything you will ever do while fly tying was done first on a non-rotary vise. A half hitch and 10 seconds to turn the hook over in the vise will allow you to see the bottom of any fly you will ever tie.

Dear Tim Murphy,

I think this is the first time I've ever seen you post without a Salutation at the beginning of your post :lol:

I don't disagree that a rotary is not completely necessary and flies can be tied without using this feature. I learned with a cheapie vise and tied on it for 10 years before replacing mine with a Peak Rotary. There are a few flies that I tie where the rotary aspect comes in very handy but I am still getting used to using it to be honest. It's nice to have though, it gives me options.

I guess it's like everything else though--progress and technology have taken over. Please don't tell me that you still listen to a crystal radio, watch black and white TV and use a HiFi Stereo to listen to your music :p Really though, like anything else, tie on what you're comfortable with and if it works for you, that's all that counts.

Regards,

Jaybo41

TimMurphy wrote:
There is no technique in fly tying that can only be done on a rotary vise.

How about rotary tying?? speed wrapping chenile or hackle?

[youtube][/youtube]

crazy system, still wouldn't call them a NEW technique, just a faster more mechanical way to wind stuff on the hook.

Was that vise on a motor like a sewing machine or was he just spinning it by hand?

Tobe - it was a response to know it all Tim murphy... he stated that there was no technique that can only be done on a rotary vise. He was wrong.

That is the nor vise and its spun by hand.

He was not wrong...you are still just putting the material on the hook.

he said technique tom... speed rotary tying is a technique.

FishOn247 wrote:
he said technique tom... speed rotary tying is a technique.

No doubt used by all three people on Earth who own a Nor-vise?

It's just another con designed to get money from people who don't know any better, that's why they are so incredibly popular!

Shakey,

I might take you up on that. I'd like to check some of your gear collection out too. I'll shoot you a PM tomorrow.

I'm not a tyer. Probably bleed to death getting hooked, but I'll tell you that a ton of flies are tied on my son's Renzetti Travelor. He needs something that is of quality and can be transported, doesn't weigh a ton and performs. It wasn't too expensive either compared to some tanks. He cannot waste time messing with hooks not staying secure. He's had it for a year and I don't think he's had a complaint. He had a Mongoose before which he liked but weighed just way to much when you're looking at airline baggage. So far this seems to be the ticket. If anyone has anything that fits better than this. Give us a heads up.

TimMurphy wrote:

No doubt used by all three people on Earth who own a Nor-vise?

It's just another con designed to get money from people who don't know any better, that's why they are so incredibly popular!

You can put the vise down for having a small market share but you are still wrong.

Do you always put down products that have low market share or just in the fly fishing market where you are a self proclaimed internet board superstar?

Dear Fishon,

He's winding a hackle there genius, something that has been done tens of millions of times before. It's not some fly tying revolution despite what the guy who sold you your very own Nor-Vise told you.

P. T. Barnum said there are people like you born every minute, hope you enjoy your vise!

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Back