Fly fishing programs on TV

krayfish wrote:
Screw TV shows... let's start a spot burning fight!!!!
:lol: :-o

Pitt – Agreed “home waters” can be a bit of a moving target depending on who you ask. For me, I’d define my “home waters” as anything I fish more than twice a year…anything less than that and I’m just a visitor. For me this pretty much is limited to Lebanon, Lancaster, Dauphin, Berks, and maybe the southern part of Schuylkill County. I suppose you could throw in the Michaux SF area too, since it’s close to my inlaws and I fish that area when I’m visiting them. That said there are many areas I travel to and fish one or two times a year (Poconos, NC PA, State College area, Delaware coast)…I enjoy that variety, and try to be respectful that I’m on someone else’s home turf when I’m there. I’ve seen your blog (which is excellent BTW), and could tell you fish for all kinds of fish, all over the place. I think part of what that entails is that if you enjoy that sort of thing…fishing other places, you gotta be okay with guys not from your neck of the woods traveling to fish something new and/or different to them too. Reciprocity. Your first post just kinda struck the wrong chord with me, and after rereading my post now, my response probably wasn’t the most constructive way I could have approached things. My bad for that, and no offense intended.

Back to the TV shows…I wouldn’t be opposed to guys on any of these national shows filming a Brookie expedition in PA. I think that kind of fishing is very rewarding and a foreign concept to a lot of people. A lot of times shows like this will give you a general idea of where they are, but not name the stream, or section of stream in particular. For instance…”the Snake River in Wyoming” or “a small stream in the Pennsylvania mountains” doesn’t tell you a whole heck of a lot in terms of specific locations, but gives you enough to get the general idea of where the kind of fishing being demonstrated can be found. I think most of the viewers of a FF designated show are pretty similar in mindset to the crew of guys you’ll find here…C&R, respect the resource, sportsmanlike, etc. Crowds are crowds…if they’re fishin’ here, they’re not fishin’ somewhere else.

Curtis Fleming annoys the hell out of me. As does Conway Bowman (is his show still even on the air?).

I think the most educational of all of them has to be Tom Rosenbauer's Orvis Guide to Flyfishing show. It's not just huge fish shots the whole time. It's constant teaching.

dubthethorax wrote:
Curtis Fleming annoys the hell out of me. As does Conway Bowman (is his show still even on the air?).

I think the most educational of all of them has to be Tom Rosenbauer's Orvis Guide to Flyfishing show. It's not just huge fish shots the whole time. It's constant teaching.

What channel is the Orvis show on? I've never seen it.
Thanks.

What channel is the Orvis show on? I've never seen it.
Thanks.

Orvis show is on WFN.

bigslackwater wrote:

The TU On the Rise show seems to dig a little deeper in to conservation and fishing technique.

Jed Fiebelkorn used to do a show called FlyFisherman on The Sportsman Channel with a girl that was also a professional guide. Saw a few old episodes and it was pretty educational for the beginner FFisherman.

I think the most educational of all of them has to be Tom Rosenbauer's Orvis Guide to Flyfishing show.

He puts out some quality videos on the Orvis FFish blog as well

Stagger_Lee wrote:
I think the most educational of all of them has to be Tom Rosenbauer's Orvis Guide to Flyfishing show.

He puts out some quality videos on the Orvis FFish blog as well

I enjoy his programs as well.

My favorite was Flip Pallot's show. I watched it for such a long time and after I couldn’t get time to watch that TV show.

Evolutions is difinitly here....just note how my original topic has changed from the "Why not" to "what's on" and what we use to watch!

Swattie,

I'm with ya brother, no offense taken. One of the great parts about my vocation is that I travel over a good portion of the country and I almost always have my fly rod in tow and I couldn't agree more with the respect part of it.

I think the difficulty for us in PA if you are talking trout/chrome is the access issues that we have. I was recently in Michigan fishing the Grand River. Thee Steelhead and Salmon in the Grand run most of the way across the state of Michigan which is outstanding. I was on a stretch of river on a great night for fishing directly below a hydro dam (popular spot) and I literally came across two other guys and they were so far away from me that if I yelled hello they wouldn't have heard me. I could have have worked miles of river without coming across more than a handful of anglers. Contrast that to what we see on Elk, Wallnut, 20Mile, etc...

The same can be said for our trout waters. Head to Penn's, Fishing, etc.... and on a good day there is a guy planted in every hole, run, or promising riffle. You are probably right in that my comments were not exactly steeped in reciprocity. I am eager to learn about a great fishery in Wisconsin but I'd prefer our fisheries to remain a bit more of a local gem. (and yes I know that is not at all realistic)

But hey... one can wish can't they?

Stagger,

The show Jed previously did was with Nicole Darland and if I am not mistaken she just gave birth to twins. I am not sure of the future of that show but it definitely had some good educational content despite the production values being failry poor.

lehigh king, i believe you're referring to the walker cay chronicles. That used to be one of my favorites too. The intro is really cool. I know it's not fly fishing but i always enjoyed larry dahlberg's hunt for big fish.

I also liked the bass shows where they showed number of casts to what they caught. I know it had nothing to do with Flyfishing. But seeing their ratios taught me that my fishing was actually pretty good and helped build my confidence. Also, I went from spending a full day on the lake or river to 6 hours or less after watching Mike Ik. If I didn't catch anything It was not meant to be.
How many of us have evolved from catch and eat to catch and release because of Fishy TV programs?

Back