Fishing Shirts

Gander Mountain had the Columbia PFG's on sale for around $25.00 or $30.00. My buddy picked up two of them. That was this past weekend. 7-21-2013

yeah the Columbia vented shirts that I bought had much more vent space than orvis or Filson.

if you wear the columbia ones with the most vents casually they look like some sort of weird fishing version of a Batman outfit I don't care I hate heat :)

the shirt and the Columbia neck gaiter dampened with cool stream water help a lot. Plus breathable waders..

Go to ebay type in fishing shirt (or type in brand name) I got 5 nice Orvis shirts two weeks ago for $50.00. My wife searches out goodwill stores like I look for new trout streams she sometimes find shirts for me.

Go to ebay type in fishing shirt (or type in brand name) I got 5 nice Orvis shirts two weeks ago for $50.00. My wife searches out goodwill stores like I look for new trout streams she sometimes find shirts for me.

A camo T shirt in the summer. Otherwise a seriously faded and worn flannel shirt that I've worn fishing for @15 years. My wife knows I want to be buried in it - not joking.

springer1 wrote:
A camo T shirt in the summer. Otherwise a seriously faded and worn flannel shirt that I've worn fishing for @15 years. My wife knows I want to be buried in it - not joking.

Is there anything more comfortable than an almost worn out flannel shirt?

BradFromPotter wrote:
They can great for being outdoors....but why do over half of the guys at fly fishing shows insist on wearing them?

Checkout the 50% rack at Gander mountain.

They wanna look the part, BFP.

I finally gave up wearing cotton tees for warm weather fishing. Nothing is better in hot weather than a quick dry/vented fishing shirt. I like the long sleeves that can be rolled up in the heat or down in chilly weather or for sun protection.

Nothing is better in hot weather than a quick dry/vented fishing shirt. I like the long sleeves that can be rolled up in the heat or down in chilly weather or for sun protection.

Bingo. I also like the chest pockets for tippet.

gfoledc wrote:

Go to ebay type in fishing shirt (or type in brand name) I got 5 nice Orvis shirts two weeks ago for $50.00.

If $50.00 total .. wow that's a great buy as I find Orvis to be expensive.

I have been using my 'old' workout shirts that wick away the moisture and they have worked well, long and short sleeve (had to put some use to them). I have 2 Columbia PFG button downs that I picked up on sale in Fla, as well as 2 PFG overhead long-sleeve. I wear them occasionally (tho on vacation I wear overheads arnd the pool) but have gotten more use out of my fleece wader pants in winter time then my fishing shirts.

I have a bushel of the Columbia/Bass Pro/etc. ventilated shirts made specifically for fishing.

They're all OK.

In my book though, the best fishing shirt is a simple Dickie's double button pockets work shirt. They're reasonable (15-22 bucks most places) and they come in good small stream fish stalking colors like dark green and sort of a dull mustard/tan.

I buy one size bigger than I would in a regular shirt and the resulting bagginess allows for some ventilation.

When they are new, they're kinda stiff, so I've used a variety of different methods to quick soften them. I've stone washed them, washed them in a salt solution, double treated them with fabric softener during the wash cycle and then ran them repeatedly through a dryer with several of those little spiked rubber balls in with them. Or you can simply wear them into softness; that works too.

Best fishing shirts around, IMO. And at a price that is not out of range of most of us in the peasantry.

Did I mention that I'm cheap? That's part of it too. Still darn good shirts though..

RLeeP wrote:
I have a bushel of the Columbia/Bass Pro/etc. ventilated shirts made specifically for fishing.

They're all OK.

In my book though, the best fishing shirt is a simple Dickie's double button pockets work shirt. They're reasonable (15-22 bucks most places) and they come in good small stream fish stalking colors like dark green and sort of a dull mustard/tan.

I buy one size bigger than I would in a regular shirt and the resulting bagginess allows for some ventilation.

When they are new, they're kinda stiff, so I've used a variety of different methods to quick soften them. I've stone washed them, washed them in a salt solution, double treated them with fabric softener during the wash cycle and then ran them repeatedly through a dryer with several of those little spiked rubber balls in with them. Or you can simply wear them into softness; that works too.

Best fishing shirts around, IMO. And at a price that is not out of range of most of us in the peasantry.

Did I mention that I'm cheap? That's part of it too. Still darn good shirts though..
I have quite a few specialized fishing shirts, ie. Simms,Columbia, Woolrich, Gander Mt. etc. They are designed for fishing and work very well. IMO the biggest advantage to those shirts are their wicking abilities( most are made from nylon or poly). They dry very quickly. Also lighweight and all those pockets can come in handy. I will not wear cotton because"Cotton is Rotten" LOL.

unless you've been swept up in the economic recovery, $60/90 just doesn't compute. I love them for Christmas and never return them. ExOfficio makes a nice cotton shirt or did. I wore mine out like my old jungle fatigues. I will look at some of the outlets mentioned but orvis trout bum at $90.00 is out. don't you love the orvis sales where you have to me Andre the Giant or Mickey Rooney to find our size. I'm retired so I'll just use up the old Van Husen button downs.

JohnPowers wrote:
unless you've been swept up in the economic recovery, $60/90 just doesn't compute. I love them for Christmas and never return them. ExOfficio makes a nice cotton shirt or did. I wore mine out like my old jungle fatigues. I will look at some of the outlets mentioned but orvis trout bum at $90.00 is out. don't you love the orvis sales where you have to me Andre the Giant or Mickey Rooney to find our size. I'm retired so I'll just use up the old Van Husen button downs.
ALL my shirts were purchased on sale. You are right I would never spend that kind of money on a shirt. Most of mine were in the $25 to $40 range.

SPF 30 to help prevent skin cancer. You may not think about it in Pa. ,better safe than sorry. GG

i like both the bob ,and the ed shirt from feathercraft.best fishing shirts i have come across.

www.feather-craft.com

this post got me searching. I had two ExOffico cotton shirts. big pockets, tabs to hold up sleeves, essentially fishing shirts. loved them. I literally wore them out. I cannot find a light weight cotton shirt. they're all synthetic, quick drying, tropic this and that. I'm fishing PA and NY....not the bonefish flats. call me a dinosaur, nothing feels like cotton. WHERE'S THAT SHIRT?

I just bought that shirt. thanks.

Back