Fishing Creek

zephyr

zephyr

Hey Guys. So i am going fishing this weekend on Saturday. I really want to go to a new location where i have not been before. That is why i am interested in going to Fishing Creek. I am talking about the fishing creek outside state college. Also i believe it is close to Lock-haven pa. When i search online it says that it is 30 miles long. I have never been before. Anyone have any insight, tips, what is hitting or locations to go on this creek? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Try narrowing down which Fishing Creek in PA you're talking about. I think there are like 7, with 2 being important trout fishing destinations.

Yeah, sorry. I guess i left out a ot of information on what stream i was talking about. I updated it in my first post.

Here is a some good info from a thread for fishing in late May.

Here is a map and more info from the PFBC.

The stream should be in good shape. Good luck!

zephyr,

The stream is often unofficially called "Big Fishing Creek". The most popular area would be one of the special reg sections in the narrows just outside Lamar. It will be especially popular this weekend because of the holiday and because green drakes could be starting soon.

Be aware that in some areas the stream flows close to private cabins and that the owners of the cabins as a group have asked that we not intrude on their privacy on Sundays.

shortrod2 wrote:
Be aware that in some areas the stream flows close to private cabins and that the owners of the cabins as a group have asked that we not intrude on their privacy on Sundays.

Actually, that has changed. It's not just Sundays. Now it's ANYTIME a cabin is occupied.

I just fished it last week. Low, clear, fishing was tough. Caught a couple small brookies in fast, riffled sections. Expect Sulphurs, March Browns, BWOs, possibly Green Drakes and crowds. This is generally not a dry fly stream. Nymphing is best. Fish are wary. Green Drakes may come off, but may be a bit early?

Beautiful stream--especially in the Narrows section. But also usually difficult for those who casually fish it.

I fished Big Fishing Creek in the trophy trout section on Monday, as part of my stay for the Spring Jam. I managed one brown on a woven stone fly nymph and for the most part just drifted nymphs through the pocket water and tried to cover all the likely spots.

I'm assuming I was in the narrows section?? as it was only 15-20 feet in width in a couple sections had some pretty fast, narrow chutes as I worked upstream.

Parked at the first parking section and worked up to where the creek splits a couple ways with a number of downed trees.

If anyone knows that section, can you confirm? I just want have it correct in my notes. I didn't see any cottages so I must have been at the tail end...

thanks,
DanL

BFC is one of my favorites. If there's a hatch it can be amazing. If you're a tight line/euro-nympher/high sticker it can be epic. It has always treated me well.

DanL,
Sounds like you came in down near Lamar, crossed bridge and then parked. You'd be a few miles downstream from the cabins.

krayfish2 wrote:
DanL,
Sounds like you came in down near Lamar, crossed bridge and then parked. You'd be a few miles downstream from the cabins.

Meaning....yes you were in the narrows. Its more like a mountain brook trout stream there with a steeper gradient (shorter pools and plunges) and up near the cabins like a wider valley stream with longer pools and riffle sections of pocket water for grade changes.

Back