The Narrows, Fishing Creek?

D

dryflyinNY33

Question about Fishing Creek? I'm going to be on a fly fishing trip, camping near Lockhaven. Going to be fishing small streams for brookies mainly, but thought I might try some famous water. I've never fished the narrows section but hear about it all the time. I was wondering what hatches are going on now, just fishing for some decent advice. I almost never fish 'technical' water, so I'm just trying to gauge if it's worth trying this week. Let me know!

Pay it a visit. I think you'll like the look and feel of the stream but it is technical water - fish are selective and very moody. One day there are rising fish everywhere you look and the next day you'll swear there ain't a trout in the creek. If there's a secret to catching fish in this creek....I sure as heck haven't figured it out. But this is part of the charm and why I keep coming back. Do be aware that some sections around the cabins are closed to fishing on Sundays (they're pretty well marked). And it is more difficult to wade than meets the eye.
As for hatches, you could see a lot: I'd stock sulphers, BWOs, Green Drakes, various caddis, midges, ISOs and some small terrestrials. Depends on the time of year.

Sulphurs are on now, size 16. Bring sulpur nymphs, duns, spinners.

If the fish aren't rising (which is the case most of the time) fish nymphs.

If you fish there, be prepared to fish with lots of company.

I was at the Narrows on Friday afternoon/evening and managed to land two nice brook trout. One on a green drake the other on a sulphur. Both were dry flies. Other then my brother and nephew, there were not many people on the creek. Maybe the cold weather kept most of the crowds at bay.

Don

Late may/early june is usually when the green drakes hatch there - and they bring up some of the larger fish

Both fish were in the 12-14 inch range and a lot of fun to catch on a fly rod. I fished many different sections of fishing creek over the course of five days. All the days were good fishing except Saturday. Three of us caught (and released) 35-40 fish over the five days and only two of us fished all five days.

Don

Strange I've fished there a couple dozen times and never had company, unless I wanted it.

Give it a shot - maybe it will be your cup of tea. Yes, the Narrows are popular. But like most places a little walking and exploring can get you some peace and quiet.

Maybe I'm just an old fart, but I hate the term "technical fishing". Fishing Ck is moody and can be difficult at times. Many of us like to fish creeks where you are never sure what will happen and have their moods - keeps it interesting when you have to work for every fish. Your stalking and presentation skills need to be on the money and some days that doesn't work. Other days the fish are on the feed and you can be a hero. But "technical?" Part of that may be that I'm an engineer and don't like fly fishing to get like work.

It gets crowed at times but there's enough water to get by yourself.

Back