Fall, fishing or hunting?

In your post #55, you said, "as I stated before, it doesn't matter when you kill a doe in the Fall, she's not going to have fawns the following Spring," That's where you mentioned that hog wash. Like I said, I don't know where you get your info.

wildtrout2 wrote:
In your post #55, you said, "as I stated before, it doesn't matter when you kill a doe in the Fall, she's not going to have fawns the following Spring," That's where you mentioned that hog wash. Like I said, I don't know where you get your info.

What about that is not true? If a doe is killed in the fall she IS NOT going to have fawns in the spring. :lol: She is DEAD! :lol:

What's the purpose of a statement like that? Like I asked you previously, how do you figure that a doe bred in Oct/Nov will not have fawns the Spring? Of course she can't if she's killed, but if she survives the hunting season she will have fawns the following Spring. USUALLY 2, so if you kill her after she's been bred, you're basically killing 3 deer. This is my point.

My point is this. pcray stated more than once that doe season is timed to be after the rut so that the majority of does are pregnant when they are killed, for maximum effect.

It doesn't matter when you kill a doe in the fall, before she's bred or after she's bred, it will have the same exact effect of no fawns from those dead deer the following spring. He is stating that the goal of rifle season is to get does pregnant before we shoot them (for maximum effect) and that is not the case at all.

The average number of fawns per doe in PA is slightly less than two and a lot of it has to do with where they live. You cannot say that on average you are killing three deer with one shot for reasons I posted earlier in this thread.

:)

wildtrout2 wrote:
wildtrout2 wrote:
Mountainbrookie, if you kill a doe from about late Oct on, odds are VERY GOOD that you actually killed 3 deer, and possibly 4 as a doe will sometimes have 3 fawns. This should be taken into consideration. I don't know where you get your information from.
I still stick to what I said, because it's true. How do you figure a doe that is bred in Oct/Nov isn't going to have fawns the following Spring? Please explain why you think differently.

Why? Because if a doe is KILLED (the keyword in his statement) in the fall, be it October/November or December, it is definitely not going to have 1,2 or 3 fawns the following spring no matter how pregnant it was.

When it comes to the reasons for our various Pa hunting season, Mountainbrookie sure seems to have the bead on it here IMO.

Back